News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Cylinders cutting in and out

Started by GhostMerc, June 19, 2015, 04:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostMerc

I'm on a trip right now and I'm having issues.  Two cylinders keep cutting out. Last year I had trouble with with 2-3 this time it's 1-4. Dyna ignition module. Iridium plugs. NGK boots. Relay mod to coils.

I haven't done any testing while I've had a problem, I don't get much of an opportunity to, mostly because it's erratic and doesn't persist until I get home.  I've cleaned just about every connector I could see. I've got an extra ground to the frame as well. I checked the gray wire going to the tach as well, looked pretty good.

Any suggestions?
1986 FJ1200
2015 FJ-09

FJ_Hooligan

How old is your Dyna module?

I had the same problem on 2 Dyna modules that I bought around the same time (about 10 years ago).  They said my units had a "component problem" that couldn't be fixed so they sold me new units at "their cost" which was $125 each. 

After a few hours of riding it would suddenly drop 2 cylinders while decelerating for a stop.  Usually letting it cool off for about 10 minutes would get me back home on all 4. 
DavidR.

Pat Conlon

Hooli, I remember that. I also recall Randy mentioning that this happened to several other Dyna owners.
Are their new units more reliable?
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

fj1289

Most drag racers who run Dyna ignitions keep a spare.  I've had good luck personally (but I did have a spare!)

FJ_Hooligan

So far no problems with the new units.

Haven't had to try the THIRD backup module.  That's the one I traded some magic beans for (or maybe it was a couple of shiny mufflers). 
DavidR.

JOMPPA10

Quote from: GhostMerc on June 19, 2015, 04:05:04 PM
I'm on a trip right now and I'm having issues.  Two cylinders keep cutting out. Last year I had trouble with with 2-3 this time it's 1-4. Dyna ignition module. Iridium plugs. NGK boots. Relay mod to coils.

I haven't done any testing while I've had a problem, I don't get much of an opportunity to, mostly because it's erratic and doesn't persist until I get home.  I've cleaned just about every connector I could see. I've got an extra ground to the frame as well. I checked the gray wire going to the tach as well, looked pretty good.

Any suggestions?

maybe using original coils woud help?
bad was using diffrent coils newer worked fine
as big boys said..

mitchfj

I had a similar problem quite a few years ago on my fj1100,  found that had a tank of bad fuel  and after stripping the carbies on a picnic table 3 times, giving it a test run each time, I found a tiny little mesh filter under the float right at the bottom of the carbies,  still played up then and found it had gone right to the plugs and fouled them up something shocking, this was in Turkey creek West Aussie, finally cleaned it and away it went, took it out the road for a run and hit the speed limit at 180 on the way back and gave it a howl on a dirt track, some locals asked if it was my bike making the noise, I said yeah had a carbie problem, they looked amazed and replied shit if it goes like it sounded when we heard it it was screaming,  but still have trouble on occasion on left side carbie, but a quick fix now
Nother trick I learned is to run a dedicated earth to the coils from the battery, made a world of difference.

JOMPPA10

Quote from: GhostMerc on June 19, 2015, 04:05:04 PM

Any suggestions?

check my reply, iwas wondering same problem

a.graham52

Bud, this thread is over a year old...

GhostMerc

It was my Dyna ignition module.  Sent it back to them for a test, bought a new one at cost.  Runs great now.
1986 FJ1200
2015 FJ-09

JOMPPA10

Quote from: GhostMerc on August 10, 2016, 04:58:11 PM
It was my Dyna ignition module.  Sent it back to them for a test, bought a new one at cost.  Runs great now.

but remember, mine thread. mine worked fine antil i check parts of tank and reseve switc :good2: