News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

1986 Ambulance revival

Started by JPaganel, June 24, 2015, 02:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPaganel

So, I ripped into the new-to-me FJ.

[/quote]

A few missing/badly replaced screws.

Keys:

All three locks take a different key. Ignition lock is loose in it's mount and worn/broken to the point that two of the keys turn it, despite being different keys.

I am going to take the matched lock set from the wrecked one.

Carbs:

Generic parts store fuel line, badly routed and pinched all to hell. This has to go.

A couple of stripped screws on the carb hats. A trip to Fastenal is in order.

Inside, emulsion tubes clogged, green gunk on main jets. Pilot jets are 42.5. Which is a little odd. The upsized pilots I got from Randy were 40, if I remember right. Perhaps a consequence of "engine work" mentioned by previous owner? Carbs apart, jets soaking in the carb dip.

Shock:

The bike seems to be fitted with a non-stock rear shock of some sort. Doesn't have an external adjuster and has a gray finish. Doesn't appear to be bad. I was a little worried that it might be a contributor to the rear fender being tweaked off-center, but the main frame doesn't look to be damaged.

Rear subframe:

The rear fender is not centered over the tire.  The right-hand side panel does not fit flush with the rear. I think the subframe is bent.

Not sure how to check. Maybe I will pull the frames from both bikes and compare them that way.

Forks look to be in good shape, but so are the 89 forks from the wreck. I think I am going to swap them.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

1986 FJ1200, flaming wreck, repaired and sold
1986 FJ1200, repaired, ridden, sold

I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcicle

JPaganel

So, the pilot jet size is even more a mystery. Only one of them is 42.5, the other three are the standard 37.5.

Maybe previous owner lost one and stuck in one that sorta fit?

Mains are 115. Stock should be 112.5. Would a Vance & Hines pipe account for that?
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

I don't want a pickle

JPaganel

Shock mystery resolved.

Apparently, it's a Progressive Suspension unit.

Also, I has clean carb guts.

1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

I don't want a pickle

JPaganel

Also, cause of always-on neutral light  found - wire cut and purposely shorted to frame.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

I don't want a pickle

JPaganel

Since the original fuel line was gone and the replacement was the too-thick generic, I am trying a clear vinyl fuel line. This is 5/16, which is the biggest I could source locally.

It fits in the correct loop. Getting it onto the barbs was kind of a bear.

1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

I don't want a pickle

ribbert

Quote from: JPaganel on June 25, 2015, 11:16:56 PM
Since the original fuel line was gone and the replacement was the too-thick generic, I am trying a clear vinyl fuel line. This is 5/16, which is the biggest I could source locally.

It fits in the correct loop. Getting it onto the barbs was kind of a bear.

That doesn't look like proper fuel line. Do you have any more detail on exactly what it is?

If it is just vinyl tubing, even if it is rated for fuel, it will not handle the heat and will collapse on itself or simply fall off the fittings. Vinyl tubing also hardens and cracks quite quickly. (IMO)

Ever had to cut a "fresh" end on the fuel hose of your mower or other small engine device after it has turned brown, hardened, split and fallen off? That's vinyl.

One of the reasons for thick hose in some applications is heat shielding. It gets very hot there.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Pat Conlon

+1 on what Noel said. Be careful with this. I would hate to see your hard work go up in flames.

FYI the routing on the green line is incorrect.
The line to the petcock should go under both branch lines (not just one)

Good to see the FJ getting some much needed attention!  Kudos JP
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

JPaganel

Quote from: ribbert on June 26, 2015, 12:22:56 AM
That doesn't look like proper fuel line. Do you have any more detail on exactly what it is?
It literally said "fuel line" on it. I picked it up at a motorcycle shop.

If it is just vinyl tubing, even if it is rated for fuel, it will not handle the heat and will collapse on itself or simply fall off the fittings. Vinyl tubing also hardens and cracks quite quickly. (IMO)
I'm not sure it's vinyl, but it looks like it.

Ever had to cut a "fresh" end on the fuel hose of your mower or other small engine device after it has turned brown, hardened, split and fallen off? That's vinyl.

One of the reasons for thick hose in some applications is heat shielding. It gets very hot there.

Noel
I've had to do that with rubber hoses, too.

I've been trying to find something else that would fit, but all the thicker rubber hoses are too thick to make the bend.

Is there some sort of commonly accepted replacement?  36Y-24312-00-00 and 36Y-24311-00-00, the original fuel lines, are no longer available.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

I don't want a pickle

ribbert

Quote from: JPaganel on June 26, 2015, 02:03:59 AM

It literally said "fuel line" on it. I picked it up at a motorcycle shop.

Unfortunately there are many varieties of fuel lines for many different applications

I'm not sure it's vinyl, but it looks like it.

Fuel line is made from a number of different materials like Tygon, neoprene, vinyl, hard plastic, treated rubber etc. They are all suitable for carrying fuel but are not all suitable for every application.
In my opinion, you need the thick reinforced rubber fuel hose, if you can't make the bend, put and elbow in it.

Noel
I've had to do that with rubber hoses, too.

Ive never seen that happen with proper rubber fuel hose

I've been trying to find something else that would fit, but all the thicker rubber hoses are too thick to make the bend.

Just fit a 90 degree elbow to make the bend. Brass, nylon, alluminium, barbed, flared, threaded etc. whatever is a good fit inside the fuel line and put a clamp around it. All sorts of fittings are available at your local auto or hardware store.
I seem to recall a photo here, maybe Monkey Marks bike?, that shows just such an elbow (a brass one) on a gravity feed bike.

Is there some sort of commonly accepted replacement?  36Y-24312-00-00 and 36Y-24311-00-00, the original fuel lines, are no longer available.

I don't know but fuel line is not something you need to buy as a spare part.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

X-Ray

Wow how good are those emulsion tubes and jets after soaking in carb dip!! Mine looked no different after soaking for a week in acetone and other solutions, so they went in the bin and bought new ones.

Problem is we cannot buy proper "carb dip" here, that's like in Australia :(
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

JPaganel

Quote from: X-Ray on June 26, 2015, 04:10:44 AM
Wow how good are those emulsion tubes and jets after soaking in carb dip!! Mine looked no different after soaking for a week in acetone and other solutions, so they went in the bin and bought new ones.

Problem is we cannot buy proper "carb dip" here, that's like in Australia :(

It's not just carb dip.

Dip is great  for the petroleum deposits, but the thing to get rid of corrosion is boiling in lemon juice. Also helps loosen petroleum stuff.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

I don't want a pickle

FJmonkey

Regarding your fuel line, until you know how that line behaves in the heat, clamp each connection (safety wire will work) to stay safe. If you have a heat gun and some spare fuel line you can also heat it up to see how it reacts. If it gets soft it may kink and cause fuel delivery issues.  I replaced my fuel line on my '86 last year with the thicker automotive fuel line and put clamps at each connection. I am looking forward to seeing your progress, my '86 needs a revival as well.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

JPaganel

Progress for today:

Reloomed and rerouted the pickup coil harness. It was hanging out in a giant loop, now it's under the generator like it should be. Also, the vinyl tube loom is one unbroken piece now. I actually found the exact replacement at a local surplus shop. Soldered the splices, too.

Fixed the neutral switch harness. Neutral light operates normally.

Reattached whale tail and taillight.

Moved the good lockset from the wreck to the new one.

Moved the nice green LEDs to the new dash. Have a weird issue with the dash - when I turn on the blinkers, the dash blinks. Maybe I need to play with how the LEDs are oriented in the sockets.

About ready to get the carbs back on.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

I don't want a pickle

ribbert

Quote from: JPaganel on June 26, 2015, 11:14:12 PM
Progress for today:.......................

Good progress JP, perhaps now you could change your avatar for someone that looks a little happier.

Noel

TexasDave

Quote from: ribbert on June 26, 2015, 11:50:53 PM
Quote from: JPaganel on June 26, 2015, 11:14:12 PM
Progress for today:.......................

Good progress JP, perhaps now you could change your avatar for someone that looks a little happier.

Noel
I hate to agree with Noel but you are welcome to use any of the pictures in my gallery since I am not smart enough to use one for my avatar. Until the movie came out I didn't know what an avatar was. Good progress on the bike.  Dave

A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.