Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

1986 Ambulance revival

Started by JPaganel, June 24, 2015, 02:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

Quote from: FJmonkey on July 03, 2015, 02:36:16 PM
Quote from: JPaganel on July 03, 2015, 02:14:57 PM
Incidentally, is there a reason that the splitter has to be a Y and can't be a T?

The line routing can be altered to suit your comfort. So a T vs. a Y is not a problem as long as it all fits under the tank and allows the fuel to flow. The air box adds to this challenge as it eats up some room that could be used for alternate line routing. If you find a way to make it work and it does not affect your safety then I say go with it.

Excellent advice!

The angle or number of the fittings has no effect on flow as fuel is only required at a trickle.

Just use an appropriate fuel line for the application.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

JPaganel

And she runs.  :yahoo:

This is what the permanent extra ground looks like - red wire grounded to a screw on the frame (replaced with a stainless one).

This resolved both the running issues caused by weak spark and the blinking dash.

I think the issue is that some stuff is grounded tot he engine, some stuff to the frame, and some to the subframe. These three pieces don't necessarily have good contact once you have a bit of corrosion in the threads.

This is how I made the Viton hose work.

5/16 Viton hose is exactly like the OEM hose. However, it's not molded. It makes bends fine except the circle around the carb hat. I resolved this by running it inside a spring, which prevents it from collapsing. One important consideration is not leaving the end that goes on the petcock too long - that is guaranteed to pinch if you do.

Also, I put some stainless safety wire on the petcock before putting it all back together.

Bike runs and drives pretty well. There are slight issues with idle. It's a little high at 1500 RPM and there is some stumbling at lower speeds. I think I might need a new set of plugs and maybe to play with mixture screws. I'm sure they've been messed with.

One other thing I did last night is disconnect the anti-dives. Brakes were mushy and one of the fittings showed signs of a leak. Much better brakes now. Will be better still when i get the 89 fork on it.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

1986 FJ1200, flaming wreck, repaired and sold
1986 FJ1200, repaired, ridden, sold

I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcicle

FJmonkey

Awesome, I love hearing things getting fix and working properly again. Good fix with spring and hose.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Arnie

Good to hear that the extra ground fixed a bunch of your "issues".
I'd want to replace that RED wire with a BLACK or GREEN one though.
RED is generally +V while BLACK or GREEN is generally ground/earth.
It won't matter for you (as long as your memory holds out), but any
future owner or auto-electrician may be cursing you if you leave it RED.

ribbert

Quote from: JPaganel on July 11, 2015, 12:59:38 PM
This is how I made the Viton hose work.

Excellent fix!!  The later bikes use the same thing.

Well done.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

JPaganel

Quote from: Arnie on July 11, 2015, 09:21:18 PM
I'd want to replace that RED wire with a BLACK or GREEN one though.
RED is generally +V while BLACK or GREEN is generally ground/earth.
It won't matter for you (as long as your memory holds out), but any
future owner or auto-electrician may be cursing you if you leave it RED.

Red was the only 10ga wire I had. I would like it to be black, and maybe to attach it to the terminal differently.

Quote from: ribbert on July 12, 2015, 06:05:45 AM
Excellent fix!!  The later bikes use the same thing.

Well done.

Noel
Same kind of hose? I thought the fuel pump used a smaller line.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

I don't want a pickle

ribbert

Quote from: JPaganel on July 12, 2015, 09:22:02 AM

Same kind of hose? I thought the fuel pump used a smaller line.

I was just referring to the use of the spring to stop it kinking, not the actual hose.

Noel

JPaganel

Quote from: ribbert on July 12, 2015, 09:44:53 AM
I was just referring to the use of the spring to stop it kinking, not the actual hose.

Noel

Huh. I had no idea.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

I don't want a pickle