News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

RPM Fork valve conversion

Started by ELIMINATOR, July 09, 2015, 10:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ELIMINATOR

I'vre got one litre of the correct grade of oil, is that enough to do the job. ALL the parts including instructions are 25 miles away in my daughters garage, so I can't, err obviously read them.
BMW 1150GS
Moto Guzzi California 3

Firehawk068

I think one liter is enough to do both forks.
If I recall correctly, I used somewhere around 450ml per leg when I did mine.  :scratch_one-s_head:

This is how much I had left in each 16oz bottle after filling each leg.

Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

FJmonkey

Yes, you will need just under one liter to fill both forks. But make sure you have the correct oil. It is 5W, any heavier and the RPM valves will not perform as designed.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

racerrad8

Quote from: ELIMINATOR on July 09, 2015, 10:41:35 AM
I'vre got one litre of the correct grade of oil, is that enough to do the job. ALL the parts including instructions are 25 miles away in my daughters garage, so I can't, err obviously read them.

Yes, it is more than enough as you will have a little left over.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

ELIMINATOR

I bought the correct grade from Randy. :good2:
BMW 1150GS
Moto Guzzi California 3

racerrad8

Quote from: FJmonkey on July 09, 2015, 11:02:31 AM
Yes, you will need just under one liter to fill both forks. But make sure you have the correct oil. It is 5W, any heavier and the RPM valves will not perform as designed.

I just saw the photo that Monkey posted, that is the correct brand & weight of oil, but not the recommended oil. Monkey has shown a picture of the "Expert" version of the oil. That oil will allow the valves to function properly, but since it is a synthetic blend the life span is not as long.

The "Factory Line" full synthetic is the recommended oil: Motul Factory Team Line 5wt Fork Oil

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

ELIMINATOR

Now have a garage, hope to do the fork conversion soon!!!!!!!!
BMW 1150GS
Moto Guzzi California 3

ELIMINATOR

I was making sure that the parts involved "seasoned" :rofl: 
BMW 1150GS
Moto Guzzi California 3