News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Purpose of Yamaha quick gasket on slave cylinder bolts

Started by vandy, July 17, 2015, 05:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandy

Noticed my clutch slave cylinder was leaking while I was working on my carb/petcock problem. The Yamaha service manual says to use quick gasket on the bolts for the slave cylinder. What is the purpose of using that on the bolts and is it necessary? Thanks.

Greg

FJmonkey

Sounds like some sort of thread lock substitute. I have not used any thread lock on the clutch slave bolts, just proper torque...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

vandy

Thanks for the reply. After further review my slave cylinder is pitted and needs to be replaced. It's just one thing after another. I feel like I am keeping RPM in business lately!!

ZOA NOM

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

vandy

The rebuild kit I bought from RPM before I realized I just needed to replace the whole assembly came with a small seal. I think it's #24 on the exploded clutch diagram, it says oil seal. Can I pull the push rod out of the left side of the engine to replace that seal with out causing issues? I have never had a clutch apart before but I see on the diagram there is a ball on the other end of the pushrod.

Layback

Quote from: vandy on July 19, 2015, 07:18:27 PM
The rebuild kit I bought from RPM before I realized I just needed to replace the whole assembly came with a small seal. I think it's #24 on the exploded clutch diagram, it says oil seal. Can I pull the push rod out of the left side of the engine to replace that seal with out causing issues? I have never had a clutch apart before but I see on the diagram there is a ball on the other end of the pushrod.

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping for a quick, simple answer to this question: "Can I pull the push rod out of the left side of the engine to replace that seal with out causing issues?"

I'm about to replace the clutch pushrod seal but I'm worried about the ball falling out of place. I expect the seal is easier to pry out with the pushrod out of the way.

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

Cheers
Layback
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

FJmonkey

Quote from: Layback on July 25, 2015, 05:41:37 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm hoping for a quick, simple answer to this question: "Can I pull the push rod out of the left side of the engine to replace that seal with out causing issues?"

I'm about to replace the clutch pushrod seal but I'm worried about the ball falling out of place. I expect the seal is easier to pry out with the pushrod out of the way.

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

Cheers
Layback

You can pull the clutch push rod out with out any issues. Members have reported starting the engine with the clutch slave off (Search the forum for spearing the cat)  :rofl2:, The rod shoots out followed by a stream of oil, the amount depends on how quickly the dumbshit gets the engine shutdown. No reports of losing the ball have been posted that I know of. My personal rule when doing clutch work starts with moving the FJ key from the bike to inside the house. Rumor has it Father Pat's cat will still not go in the garage... So feel free to pull the rod out, clean it, change the seal and reassemble.

Layback

Quote from: FJmonkey on July 25, 2015, 09:09:16 AM
You can pull the clutch push rod out with out any issues. Members have reported starting the engine with the clutch slave off (Search the forum for spearing the cat)  :rofl2:, The rod shoots out followed by a stream of oil, the amount depends on how quickly the dumbshit gets the engine shutdown. No reports of losing the ball have been posted that I know of. My personal rule when doing clutch work starts with moving the FJ key from the bike to inside the house. Rumor has it Father Pat's cat will still not go in the garage... So feel free to pull the rod out, clean it, change the seal and reassemble.

Thanks Monkey.. That is exactly what I wanted to know. I've read many times about spearing the cat and it still cracks me up reading it now. I took your advice from a while ago to remove the key while doing this. Now I just have to remember why I left the key out :good2:

Layback
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

FJmonkey

Troyskie

I would love to know the background to this.... (popcorn)
I did a bit of searching for the original post using 'cat spearing' (start, slave, pushrod, clutch, cat, etc.), but can't find the original story.
Any chance someone knows the original thread link?
Or was this from the Yahoo days?
Troyskie
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz