News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Installing cylinder bank on the engine

Started by laseron, December 25, 2020, 04:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laseron

Hello, and Merry Christmas!
I'm in the process of rebuilding my 89 FJ, and am trying to install the cylinder bank on the engine. I've tried many times, using hose clamps to compress the piston rings, with no success. I oil the hose clamps and cylinder walls, tighten the clamps enough to push the piston rings in, position the cylinder bank on the piston tops, and press down on the cylinder bank to get the pistons to slide up into their cylinders. Invariably, at least one piston ring pops out of the hose clamp before going into the cylinder, forcing me to start over again. I've tried two types of hose clamp, one with slots cut into the band, and with smooth bands. I've also tried cussing, praying to any number of motorcycle gods, and collapsing on the floor in a crying fit.

I'm sure some of you have been down this road, and I'd appreciate any tips or advice.

Thanks,
Ron

fj1289

Ron - May need to tell us a little about the cylinder block. 

The stock liners are beveled at the bottom from the factory.   This is a "built in" spring compressor - nothing else needed. 

If the stock liners have been removed, you may not have that bevel or may not be beveled enough.   The 1314's I've assembled have needed a bit more fiddling with getting the rings to go in - but can usually be coaxed in the fingernails - part of the ring will start and you'll need to "squeeze" the ring on both sides to get the rest of it to glide in. 

I'm sure Randy or Robert will offer more tips. 

Good luck!

laseron

Yes, the cylinder liners are stock, and beveled as you said. I may just try to compress the rings manually, one row at a time as I work the cylinder bank down onto the pistons, without the hose clamps, and take advantage of the bevels. Tedious, for sure.

I asked Santa to do it, and you can guess how that went.

Thanks,
Ron

fj1289

There is a certain "knack" to it - by the time you are finished you'll start to get the hang of it!

I'd suggest putting #2 and #3 at top and work them first, then slowly bring #1 and #4 up (as #2 and #3 come down) and work them in.   A bit of oil helps the process too - just makes makes your fingers slippery too though ...

red

Laseron,

I have not done that job on the FJ, and I'm not sure that hose clamps are the right tools for the job.  If I did it that way, I would want the hose clamp adjuster screws to be away from the ends of the rings.

You can get real ring compressing sleeves, which should be the tools you need.  You will need two of them, following the advice of FJ1289.  HTH.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

laseron

I got the pistons in today, doing it manually, one ring at a time. I wish I had just done that from the beginning. Anyway, now on to getting the cams lined up right. I can almost hear this engine running again.

Thanks everyone!
Ron

fj1289

Waiex191

Excellent job and you learned a skill. I've also used tywraps but generally end up squeezing the rings in with my fingers. Never done an FJ before, just a GS650 and my kid helped his buddy with a CB750A.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

ribbert

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

red

Quote from: Waiex191 on December 27, 2020, 05:25:58 AMExcellent job and you learned a skill. I've also used tywraps but generally end up squeezing the rings in with my fingers. Never done an FJ before, just a GS650 and my kid helped his buddy with a CB750A.
Waiex,

I have done the job (not on an FJ) using smooth soup-can steel sheets and hose clamps.  Watch out for the sharp edges.   :biggrin: 
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

racerrad8

Quote from: ribbert on December 27, 2020, 06:05:18 AM
Good advice Chris. What's Randy's opinion on this?

Noel

I think he did a great job as well and offer two thumbs up :good2:

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

laseron

The engine is nearly complete. Now for the valve adjustments.

I've also added a Neutrino Element controller from Arboreal Systems. Very powerful- it has 6 fully controllable circuits, and it links to my cellphone.
Expensive? Yes. Worth it? I think so. I'll give a report on it when the bike it back on the road in a few months.

Onward and upward.
Thanks everyone for your help!

Ron