News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

FJ Land speed racer

Started by fj1289, July 20, 2015, 07:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firehawk068

Quote from: fj1289 on July 11, 2016, 10:37:47 PM
Quote from: Firehawk068 on July 11, 2016, 10:03:19 PM
Quote from: fj1289 on July 11, 2016, 09:39:10 PM
I'm stumped now -- what's a good way to post videos?  Have the one run I got on video last time at Bandimere to post...

What's the link to the video?

Right now it's on my laptop.  I can post it to youtube or to photobucket - whichever is a better way to go

I like using Youtube better for videos, but either will work I'm sure.
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

fj1289

Quote from: Firehawk068 on July 11, 2016, 11:21:39 PM
Quote from: fj1289 on July 11, 2016, 10:37:47 PM
Quote from: Firehawk068 on July 11, 2016, 10:03:19 PM
Quote from: fj1289 on July 11, 2016, 09:39:10 PM
I'm stumped now -- what's a good way to post videos?  Have the one run I got on video last time at Bandimere to post...

What's the link to the video?

Right now it's on my laptop.  I can post it to youtube or to photobucket - whichever is a better way to go

I like using Youtube better for videos, but either will work I'm sure.

How do you then embed video?

Firehawk068

Quote from: fj1289 on July 11, 2016, 11:49:44 PM

I still haven't figured that out?
It used to work fine, but somewhere along the way Youtube changed their embed coding, and now it doesn't.
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

fj1289

Quote from: Firehawk068 on July 12, 2016, 12:06:05 AM
Quote from: fj1289 on July 11, 2016, 11:49:44 PM

I still haven't figured that out?
It used to work fine, but somewhere along the way Youtube changed their embed coding, and now it doesn't.

Thanks - that set me back on the right track.  I figured out again how to do it with photobucket - just have to get it loaded now (bandwidth issue?)

racerrad8

Chris, for videos YouTube works the best I have found. When I use PB it only loads the video as a small corner image and it is difficult to watch.

Once it is loaded up to YouTube, you just paste in the share link code listed below the video and it will take everyone to YouTube to watch it.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

fj1289

Let's try this then:  https://youtu.be/RL5bA9x7LP4

This is the only video I got from the last tuning session - 4th run - 25HP nitrous shot from 2nd gear.  With all the datalogging issues I was having that day, this was the best tuning info I got all day!  After this I added fuel at idle and off idle and decreased the added fuel for the 25HP shot.  The camera battery died while lining up for the next run which was a 50HP shot from 3rd gear. 

Since this tuning session, I've replaced the WEGO III wideband O2 sensor with an LC-1.  I've lost the direct reading gauge on the dash for the AFR - and have replaced it with an AFR "indicator" that will show rough AFR numbers.  Reason for the change was to get an additional AFR output (LC-1 has 3 outputs vice the WEGO III has only 1) to send the info to both the ECU and to a separate datalogger as well as a dash mounted indicator. 

Plan to film each run for the test sessions tomorrow. 

fj1289

Here is the main focus for the aero improvements - the undertail and the seat cowl.

Simple "flat bottom" added to the tail section.  it fastens to the sub frame and mounts all the accessory electronics. 

Started on the seat cowl.  started by tracing the back of the seat pan to get the shape.  Then traced 5 more moving it up each time.  Then position them one at a time, trim to "fit" by eye, then mock it up. 

Next task is to cover the mold with packing tape to serve as mold release and then start the fiberglass work. 

FJmonkey

Great approach to finding the shape you want/need. Keep the solutions coming.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Firehawk068

You've got some great weather today for testing.

One thing I would probably change, is make the front edge of your "Bubble-Tail" taller.
It looks pretty close though.
It needs to follow the contour line coming down your back, while you are tucked in sitting on the bike.

Sit on your bike in a tuck, and have your wife take a side picture of you and the bike, at the height you'll be while making your speed runs.

Cover the buck that you've made in some expanding foam to build it up more, then you can shave it down to the shape you want. Then make your fiberglass mold.
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

fj1289

Quote from: Firehawk068 on July 13, 2016, 02:25:42 PM
You've got some great weather today for testing.

One thing I would probably change, is make the front edge of your "Bubble-Tail" taller.
It looks pretty close though.
It needs to follow the contour line coming down your back, while you are tucked in sitting on the bike.

Sit on your bike in a tuck, and have your wife take a side picture of you and the bike, at the height you'll be while making your speed runs.

Cover the buck that you've made in some expanding foam to build it up more, then you can shave it down to the shape you want. Then make your fiberglass mold.

I thought about the spray foam ... can you just "shoot" it on?  Or do you need a way to force it into place?  I've only ever used it to seal up holes around conduit or fill in seams before.  

Firehawk068

Quote from: fj1289 on July 13, 2016, 03:41:28 PM
I thought about the spray foam ... can you just "shoot" it on?  Or do you need a way to force it into place?  I've only ever used it to seal up holes around conduit or fill in seams before.  

It will stick.
Don't do it on the bike though.
Remove your buck, and place it on a board that you don't care much about.
Start at the bottom and work your way up. It sticks to itself really well.

There are some tutorials on youtube. Just search for spray expanding foam. People use it for all sorts of projects.
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

fj1289

I'll pick some up tomorrow.  Think I'll do a couple layers of fiberglass, then foam, then fiberglass. 

giantkiller

I've been using the foam insulation sheet. The kind with the foil backing. (Yellow/tan color not the pink)I bought a 4x8 sheet and have made many projects, still have 3/4 left. Just peel the foil off. And you have the same foam the the fiberglass companies sell for an arm and a leg. For mold making. It comes in many thicknesses. I have 2". That is what the building supply company has in stock. If you need thicker you can special order it. But I just glue as many together as I need. Get the glue from a hobby shop. They sell glue that is made for this And is sand able. And they have sand able foam filler, for inperfections, or any mistakes.

This is an intake I'm working on for the turbo. It will go in the front of the side panel. Where the point is . It will have the screen painted black to blend in with the black bike. The turbo kit had a big round chrome Harley filter sticking out right there.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

giantkiller

Sorry about the pictures being blurry. I m a little shaky before I eat in the morning. Going to fiberglass over the outside. And cut out the foam in the middle shape it nice and smooth into the. Carb and lay a super thin layer of fiberglass cloth over the inside. For flow and it will make it a little stronger with the foam sandwiched In between.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

Firehawk068

Chris, How did your testing go Wednesday?
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200