News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

FJ Land speed racer

Started by fj1289, July 20, 2015, 07:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aviationfred

Here are a couple of photos

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

fj1289

No pics to post, but progress continues.   

Removed the existing ECU (microsquirt) and all its associated wiring.   Also deleted the separate nitrous progressive controller, separate datalogger, and Dyna shift counter.   I kept most of the "power distribution" wiring - main switch, kill switch, safety lanyard, fuse panel, and relays for main power and the fuel pump.  Changed some of the functionality to suit the new ECU (Megasquirt MS3).  The main relay is controlled by 12v from the master switch and ground through the safety lanyard.  The main relay provides 12v to the ECU and for the control side of the fuel pump relay.  The ECU provides the ground control for the fuel pump relay through the kill switch.   All power to the fuse panel also comes from the fuel pump relay.   This lets me kill the engine and all other electrics with the kill switch while still keeping the ECU powered.  The master switch or safety lanyard then kills all power.

I have most of the new ECU wiring installed and tested.   The air shifter and nitrous solenoid still needs to be wired up.  I'm traveling home from vacation today - then will be home for maybe three days - then we have an aircraft to ferry to Jordan (ironically the same plane we brought over last August before the Mile).  We are scheduled to get home two weeks prior to the Colorado Mile.   

I swapped in the "street engine" - which is the engine I originally put together for Bonneville.   Time and budget constraints this year will limit the improvements we wanted to make to the engine after last year.   That said, the improvements we have been able to make in the aero,  nitrous setup, and the fuel injection ECU should help up the speed a respectable amount and improve consistency and reliability. 

fj1289

fj1289

Major setback last Saturday - went to start the bike on the new ECU and all I got was a blown fuse for the coil circuit and some melted wires inside the ECU.  Looks like some of my mods in the ECU didn't turn out so well.  After the immediate panic - determined the main board and the daughter card were most likely still good.  Made a quick order with diyautotune - new Input/Output board (to replace my homemade one) and new harness connectors for the main board.   The parts arrived Tuesday afternoon.  This "should" bring the ECU up to full "MS3X" spec.  I say "should" because I'm not 100%  sure the main board and daughter card are  100%.  Unfortunately, it also means I now have the ridiculously large 80's printer cable style harness connectors instead of the previous compact MOLEX connecters.  Oh well - compromises must be made.   

Assembled the new parts and made some required mods to the main board.   Unfortunately I also have to splice in the new connectors to the existing harness. 
With the new card, I had to re-sequence the injector and coil connections.   The old connections were A, B, C, D aligned with the cylinders in 1, 2, 3, 4 order.   The new card requires the connections A, B, C, D in the firing order of the engine, so now I've spliced A to A, B to C, C to D, and D to B. 

Tuner Studio has a pretty impressive capability for conducting self tests.   Test each injector in turn - all good.  Test the fuel pump- good.  Test the coils - good!  Try a couple times to start - no luck.   Open the throttle full open to activate flood clear and it fires!  This means it's rich starting, but now we have a running engine and a starting point!

56 CHEVY

You are going to have a busy week Chris.
Good to hear it's running.

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

fj1289

Yesterday was productive.  Picked up 40 pounds of nitrous, 10 gallons of C-16 race fuel, and a small bottle of nitrogen.  That should be a good start!

Last night used the coil test function to work out the correct tach settings and confirm the new tach works.  Also got the hall effect sensor working on the rear wheel so we also have a good rear wheel speed readout.  That'll be handy to use to detect wheel spin and/or clutch slip.  It will also be used for the progressive nitrous - it is a ten point curve to set nitrous percentage vs speed.  If we get wheel spin we can't fix with suspension settings or clutch slip or wheelies at a point then the nitrous percentage can be dialed back a little to keep as much acceleration as the conditions allow. 

We have a lot going on this weekend with the Air Force Academy cadets we sponsor - Labor Day weekend is Parent's weekend.  Really glad they slipped the Colorado Mile a week this year!  Hopefully future events will also be the weekend following Labor Day. 

Plans for between now and Monday are to get a base level tune and test all the sub-systems -- the air shift and auto shift, on board datalogging, launch limiting (aka two-step), and nitrous of course!  Then Wednesday go to Bandimere dragstrip for the test-n-tune.  Thursday we go out to Front Range Airport to setup our pit space and clear tech inspection, drivers meeting, and course drive through.  Then start making runs Friday morning!

giantkiller

My sister lives just down the hill, from Bandimere. Wish I could be there to get in the way... I mean help out.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

fj1289

Quote from: giantkiller on September 01, 2017, 07:14:07 PM
My sister lives just down the hill, from Bandimere. Wish I could be there to get in the way... I mean help out.

Sounds like time for a "family visit ...

Anyone that can make it is welcome to join in the chaos!

fj1289

This is Alan.
I'm posting for Chris with some updates from the event.

Yesterday had 3 runs.
The engine had developed an oil leak that was traced to the alternator area.
It was fixed for today's runs.

Yesterday's speed runs:

fj1289

Quick update - made three more runs yesterday 25 hp nitrous went 160 twice.   Wouldn't go above 8,000 RPM - turned out to be a nitrous setting.   Nitrous was turning off at 8,000 RPM.   Last run upped to 50 hp nitrous shot.   Pulled good, but broke up a little at the end and struggled to get above 7,000 RPM in 5th (gearing is 19/33 for that run).    Only went 162.   A rider went down in he braking zone after going 228 - he walked away from it!  We took some extra time to look at the data logs and check the bike over - turned out the #4 plug melted the electrode.   We knocked off for he afternoon.   Bought more plugs.   Realized #4 was the same one we hurt last year - wonder if either the injector isn't up to par or the coil is over dwelling sooner than the others.   Swapping both this morning and running 50 hp shot again.   If that works we'll up to 100 and then 150 if everything is in order.   

fj1289

This is Alan again with a quick update for Chris.

Swapped out all 4 injectors for some bigger ones, and swapped the #4 coil just in case.
Adjusted the tune a bit and set it up for a 50hp shot of nitrous.

First run of the day seemed to go well, and pulled well throughout the run.
Checked the exhaust pipe temps right at the end of the run, and they were all within 10 degrees of each other.
Pulled the plugs back at the trailer and they all looked good! Nothing burnt or melted.

First run of the day was 176.3 mph ( which is around the same speed as last year with a 75hp shot of nitrous )
So far it is looking good for today.
Hoping to see some big speed from this bike.

fj1289

Wow!  Today was a full on battle!  We made eight runs today alone.  Started with a good run with a 50 hp shot of nitrous.  Scaled up to 100 shot next run and started having problems breaking up over 8,000 RPM.  We chased that issue for the next for runs.   I was making a wrong change to the nitrous tune - the whole time being overly rich on top.  Running out of time, finally got a handle on it and ran 183.7.  For the final run we scaled up to a 150 hp nitrous shot, adjust the tune slightly and go to the line.   Pulls hard in second and third, a little problems with the shift to fourth, pulls hard, then nothing after the shift to fifth.  Engine free revs but doesn't pull at all.  Coast out to the mile and take an early turnout.  Bike shifts back down to first - try letting out the clutch again - no drive at all.  Don't know what we lost yet - but thankful it didn't lock up the output shaft!

More details to follow for the entire effort. 

Big thanks to Alan for all the help this weekend.  We had a great team doing a ton a work in the pits, at the line, and post run. Without all their help, this weekend would not have been nearly as successful  as we were. 

fj1289

This is your clutch basket

This is your clutch basket on 150 HP shot of nitrous with a lockup

FJmonkey

Wow, you are gonna need a big tube of JB weld to fix that.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side