News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

FJ Land speed racer

Started by fj1289, July 20, 2015, 07:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fj1289

Here's the full article.  The "old" FJ made a good showing of it.   Imagine how much better in would have been with updated RPM suspension and a late model front end with upgraded brakes!

Pat Conlon

Quote from: fj1289 on January 24, 2018, 08:37:46 PM
Imagine how much better in would have been with updated RPM suspension and a late model front end with upgraded brakes!

....don't forget fuel injection!
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

fj1289

In 6 weeks we'll be setting up the pits and going through tech inspection and drivers meeting!

fj1289

Made it out to Bandimere Speedway for a test-n-tune last night.   It seems the first outing is by far the most difficult - the "last" thing that has to get done before you can load up always turns into three more things to do!  We finally made it to the track three hours late, and the big crowd meant we only got to make two passes. 

Changes for this year mostly revolved around fitting a 10 pound nitrous bottle in please of the previous 5 pound bottle!  Had to push the rear wheel back about two more inches.  Then we changed the bottle mount to allow us to remove the bottle from the top of the bike vice going underneath - should save a LOT of effort for bottle changes.  Making room to bring the bottle out of the top meant extending the subframe by about 4 inches and moving the ECU back and fuse block to clear up room.  This required moving the battery to the front behind the fairing.  Add in a new seat and seat cowl to top it all off. 

Running the sidewinder exhaust this year for the larger primary tubes to better handle the volume from the nitrous.  Still need to complete the exhaust - the old megaphone won't fit with the lowered foot pegs now.  Also need to fit the seat cowl a bit better - needs to be cut a bit at the front a bit to get it to flow into the original tail better. 

My son will be sharing riding duties this year at the mile too.  He got to make his first pass last night - did very well and took it easy like I told him - just an easy first pass to get familiar with the bike and the drag strip. 

My wife asked him if he ever thought he'd be riding that bike at the track -  he said he thought the first time he'd get to ride it would be to my funeral!  She laughed - and then asked if he wouldn't at least wait a day.  Nope he said!  LMFAO! 

fj1289

Two weeks!  Feeling a lot more ready than last year.  We've been out for four teat and tune sessions this month. 

Doesn't look much different from the outside.   Fitted the seat cowl better and put a short turnout on the sidewinder.  But the biggest update is the addition of a second stage of nitrous.  The idea being to use a small shot in first gear to get going sooner - and then bring in the bigger shot for the rest of the run.  Finished that upgrade last week - that involved a burned out solid state relay, an almost burned out nitrous solenoid (from the relay), and another nitrous solenoid seat that disintegrated and caused a constant leak.  Finally got the install sorted and ready to test this past Wednesday.  First stage worked until the second was supposed to engage - then both would shit down - and the first stage would randomly activate again later in the run.   Posted the issues on the msextra support forum.  One of the code developers bench tested the VSS (vehicle speed sensor - magnets and a sensor on the rear wheel) based 2 stage progressive nitrous and found an error in the code (really surprised I'm the first to fine it!).  Installed a beta file he sent and tested again last night.  Both stages work - some small bugs, but I can live with it if it doesn't get sorted. 

Plan to go next Friday to start tuning both stages and be ready for the Mile. 

Pat Conlon

Hey Chris, remind me, are you running a total loss battery setup?

I was thinking, if you still have the generator, you could be suffering from over voltage demons playing havoc on your components.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

fj1289

Quote from: Pat Conlon on August 27, 2018, 10:59:14 AM
Hey Chris, remind me, are you running a total loss battery setup?

I was thinking, if you still have the generator, you could be suffering from over voltage demons playing havoc on your components.

Pat, when I went to EFI on this one, I put the generator back on it to ensure we maintain good voltage to the fuel pump, injectors, ECU, coils, and nitrous solenoids -they are a heavy draw for a full mile plus any warm up and time in the staging lanes.   

Battery voltage is one of the things I data log.  It helped me find a bad rectifier - replacing it helped resolve some issues I had with inconsistent running despite a previously good tune. 

Replaced the rectifier (used parts from my stash) and a replacement voltage reg now it shows a steady 13.6 volts throughout the run. 

Other problems I had in the past with electrics included an Innovte Motorsports wideband O2 sensor that would change its programmable output settings if the voltage fell too much during cranking — then it would give bad info and send the whole tuning effort into a death spiral of wrong information.  I learned NOT to have the O2 sensor powered by the key-on power, and instead have is power up with the fuel pump relay.   Voltage drop issues with the O2 sensor went away after that.   I still prefer the WEGO III to the Innovate LC-1 — less flaky overall.   

Luckily the issues with the progressive nitrous were issues in the firmware.  The beta patch the developer sent seems to have the issues licked.  The final bug got resolved Monday - a time delay setting that was supposed to be inactive in progressive mode is still being applied.   Simple solution - switch the nitrous system to on/off mode vice progressive, zero out the time delay between stages, and reactivate the progressive mode.  That should "clear" the second stage delay issue without requiring another firmware patch. 

Now I'm leaning toward going with as large a first stage shot as the chassis will tolerate - and progress it through 1st and 2nd gear — hoping that can be 100 HP or so.   Then bring in the second stage through 3rd and 4th gear — another 100 HP or so. 

By this time next week we should be loading up the trailer!

giantkiller

That's good to know I bought Innovate for the turbo bike.  If I ever get the house done and get back to to work on it. I hope I can get it to work.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

fj1289

Dan - the Innovate stuff is good and VERY capable - just have to keep good power to it.  If you hook up a display to go with it you will know it's out of wack.  On the EFI system I had it doing EGO correction - rookie mistake since I have it way too much control authority - it would quickly run the tune out so far it would quit running. 

Speaking of EFI - is that going on an old-school style turbo setup - turbo behind the engine with a draw thru carb?  Always thought it would be cool to weld injector bungs in the manifold and use a throttle body/MAF on the turbo inlet and EFI one of those!

giantkiller

Quote from: fj1289 on August 31, 2018, 11:31:44 AM
Dan - the Innovate stuff is good and VERY capable - just have to keep good power to it.  If you hook up a display to go with it you will know it's out of wack.  On the EFI system I had it doing EGO correction - rookie mistake since I have it way too much control authority - it would quickly run the tune out so far it would quit running.  

Speaking of EFI - is that going on an old-school style turbo setup - turbo behind the engine with a draw thru carb?  Always thought it would be cool to weld injector bungs in the manifold and use a throttle body/MAF on the turbo inlet and EFI one of those!
It's a boost controller wideband o2 sensor and guage.  Innovate SCG-1. Someday I'll get it together. It's a suck turbo...it was built by RB?  It's been awhile. They use to do turbo kits for a lot of bikes. Now pretty much. Just hardlys. 300hp turbo baggers. I got it brand new from a guy who had it built for his 89. He said after he got it he got involved with a. "Lamborghini  project". And sold his bike. And put the turbo kit on the shelf in his garage and forgot about it. And then he decided to clean out his garage. And found it. Put it on fleebay.Said he paid $2800 for it in 89. And was hoping to get that back. I bid $1500. And won. Brand spankin new complete bolt on kit already tuned for stock bike. It was all chrome. Very good quality chrome. I've the chopper I built. And I've had enough of chrome. So had the whole thing ceramic coated black satin. Bought an 86. And started a complete custom build. Then got side tracked building this stupid house. Also bought a wiseco, and ape big blocks. In case I can't scare myself enough with the stock engined turbo.

Sorry, enough of my side track. Back to your monster.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

fj1289

Had a good outing with the bike last night.  Found a developing fuel pump issue in time to prevent any engine damage!

Had a couple issues getting both stages of nitrous to cooperate — but got that sorted too.  My son got the chance to see and run on a smaller drag strip at Pueblo as opposed to the premier facility at Bandimere - the braking zone more closely resembles the shutdown area at the Colorado Mile track.  Also got to make his first pass with the nitrous system at it's lowest settings.

A quick fuel pump change and another set of plugs and we are good to go for next weekend!

fj1289

Hoping the rainbow on the way to the Colorado Mile means good luck for this weekend!

Got through tech and the drivers meeting and course orientation this evening.  Ready to roll in the morning!  First run off the trailer will be with a 50 HP shot of nitrous - should be a great start to an awesome day!

My son Bailey will have to go through the orientation, drivers meeting, etc in the morning.   

fj1289

Good start for today.  Delayed for fog and mist this morning, but burned off before too long.  First pass off the trailer with 50 HP shot of nitrous - spun hard in first, shifted early to second, more spin so feathered the throttle s bit to get it to hook up agin.  Good run at 175 mph.  While  warming up the engine before that run the bike shut off suddenly - acted like complete electrical failure.  Noticed the main relay wasn't clicking when I turned on the main switch.  Checked power at the wires to the switch - good.  Holy crap what are the odds of losing a toggle switch like that?   Made a quick patch wire to bypass the switch and went out and made that first run.  

Get ready to send my son out for his first pass - bike tries to start but won't.  Check voltage - low.  Crap - put it on the charger - it's a lithium battery and it's low enough the charger goes into "save" mode - - it's going to be a while before we can run it.  After a while check the voltage again and now it shows 4.3 volts - WTF?!  I'm thinking either the battery had taken a complete dump or the built in protection circuitry has gone into some kind of a funky recovery mode.  The battery may be good or it may not be.   Decide to get another battery to make sure we don't lose the whole weekend.  

My mother-in-law is on her way to the track and picks up the battery enroute.  Thanks battery plus!  Fully charged and ready to roll.  

fj1289

Get the new battery in and the fairing back on (battery is behind the fairing now - needed more room for the nitrous!  Send Bailey out for his first pass - motor only.  He has a C license and is limited to 165 mph, but needs to go at least 140 to license up.  Last year with this engine it went 140's on motor.  He rips off a 153 mph pass! 

fj1289

Speed ticket for the earlier post

Cool the bike down and get ready for my next run - 50 HP shot on the 1st stage of nitrous and 50 HP shot on the second stage.  Bike doesn't want to start again.  Low voltage.  WTF?!  Put the battery on a charger - and wonder what is going on with the electrics.  Do I have something shouting out?  Get is charged up and head out.  There is a line to run so shit down while we wait.  Get ready to go - won't start.  

Eventually get it jump started and make the run.  Decent launch - delayed the nitrous a little for this run although the track is probably warmer and grippier now.  The nitrous activates and the bike loses power.  Roll out slightly and it pulls good again.  Do this a couple times with the same result.  Something is up with the nitrous system.   Turn out early and head to the pits.    Data logs show low voltage.  Recheck the wiring to the alternator- looks ok.  Then notice it looks like the alternator is loose.  UGH!  First thought is the alternator slipped out of engagement with the drive. Nope - the alternator COVER is loose.  Start to tighten it down but then decide to pull it and have a look-see.  Found the problem!  One of the legs to the rectifier has broken loose from its solder joint.  Make a quick fix and get normal running voltage!

So no bad battery.  No bad switch.  Start the bike and see normal voltage again!  But they have shut down early for the day, so now more runs.  

Getting ready for tomorrow - should be good!