News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Help with charging system: tests for charging componants and sources for parts

Started by steviebsf, August 26, 2015, 01:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

what do i write here

or here
0 (0%)
or here
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

steviebsf

1989 FJ1200 new battery is not getting charged. I put it on the maintenance charger and charge it back to 13.5V from 12.3 or so after a ride. I have put a volt meter on the connected battery and revved to 3K rpms with no change on volt meter. I don't seem to have, or can't find the infamous red clip but have checked all connections. I think.

I have a book on order but I'm anxious to test and order parts. cannot find complete testing procedure on site - please direct me if i missed it. I have mechanical exp but not with bikes. generic descriptions are confusing because the parts and placement are so different.

After some reading around it looks like one of a couple things and i went to the web to price a new generator and regulator, etc and was getting prices from $250 and up for a voltage regulator? $1300 for a new generator?! Please tell me I'm missing something! these cannot be the only parts out there, how does anyone maintain a bike?

thanks for your newbie help
the forum is so helpful
steve

Antonn3

...sounds like a new regulator is in order?
For a vast assortment of parts, (one option) go to RPMRacingca.com, below is the link for the regulator he has listed. There is also an install video for it on Youtube.
Good luck
Tony

http://rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Electrical%3ARegulator&cat=39

steviebsf

Thanks for the part # Tony,

Does anyone know how to test the regulator. I thought i read that when the regulator goes out, your voltage is higher than normal and you could possibly overcharge your battery.

thanks for your input!

or is that output?!

great white

Whoops, seems that one doesn't have the electrical system tests.

Here's a clymer one that has the testing procedures and values: http://www.manualedereparatie.info/en/download/yamaha-fj-1100-1200-1984-1993-Service-manual.html

I'm not a big fan of clymer manuals, but it will get the job done.

markmartin

Try running a jumper cable - like a short section of #12 wire - from the negative battery terminal to the gas tank hold down bolt.  There is a chance that the ground cable connection which is located under the starter is corroded.  This jumper would at least rule out a bad ground.  I'd start there.

racerrad8

Steve,

You have the red plug, unless someone already cut it out, but you still need to check the replacement connection. Follow the wire away from the generator to the connection and you will have it in your hand, that is your starting point.

The ElectroSport regulator has not been available for quite some time as the "chip" they were using is no longer manufactured. They sent me a prototype replacement a few weeks ago and it was 3x larger than the original one and would not fit in the allocated space.

In the meantime the Rick's Electric Co. regulator has been brought into the inventory; Rick's ND Internal Regulator

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

FJ_Hooligan

On my '93, the "red connector" was under the carbs. 
I could see it but the carbs and heat shield would need to be removed to inspect or service it. 
Not sure if an '89 has similar routing. 
DavidR.

FJmonkey

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on August 26, 2015, 10:43:30 AM
On my '93, the "red connector" was under the carbs. 
I could see it but the carbs and heat shield would need to be removed to inspect or service it. 
Not sure if an '89 has similar routing. 

My '89 had the plug on the Left side just like my '86, easy access.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

steviebsf

thanks all for the red plug tips - im on it!

Great white - thanks for the manual links - Super helpful

Randy - seems you will be an invaluable asset - been through your website (nice) and imagine its ok to call when i pin a couple more things down.

I read somewhere that this was the site. it is! you guys rock (and roll)!

respect and honor

fj1289

Steve - add your location to your profile -- someone may be close by with the tools and experience to help out first hand!

racerrad8

Quote from: steviebsf on August 26, 2015, 11:14:28 AM
Randy - seems you will be an invaluable asset - been through your website (nice) and imagine its ok to call when i pin a couple more things down.

Yes, we are here M-F 8-4 and closed for lunch at noon.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

steviebsf

, thanks everybody for all your input. following Clymers (sp?) test procedure, the rectifier is bad, so there ya go.

the red clip had been done away with and crip connectors used. guess ill get a plug for the new rectifier install.
randy, ya got one of those??

thanks again everyone.

racerrad8

Not a normal stocking item, but I can check tomorrow and if in stock at the vendor I can have one Friday.

Give me a call tomorrow.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM