News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

85 FJ1100 Clean Chameleon Rebuild

Started by element303, August 02, 2015, 03:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

element303

Hey buddies.

I just joined here and introduced myself (http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14327.0) and latest project, which was a Kawasaki KZ750 from 81, and after only 2 days owning my first FJ, I jumped right into taking her apart and giving her a new look. Im waiting for some parts to get her back running, mainly igniter box and rear brake, but Im not a fan of red or white, even though I must admit the style and paint job of the FJ looks really damn good. The paint is in relatively good condition but there are some smaller rust areas on the tank and the red starts fading, so I decided to make her look as new.

I looked around for 1-2 days and run into the color combiation I wanted a few months back for my Nissan 300ZX.

So I will start to update as I progress, for myself and some others to enjoy.

This is the before pic:

Today I started to paint the first body parts:

Its gonna look amazing to see her like that complete with a smoked windshield and lights.
There is no such thing as too much cheese

fj1289

Are you planning to break it up with some stripes?   Like was done on the "solid color" factory paint jobs?   

element303

I use black in between. I will have more updates soon. I was driving her the first time today. I think the coils are bad. As soon she gets hot she runs like she gets not enough gas. But its the spark, not the gas. Im pretty sure. The higher the RPM, the worst is gets.

aviationfred

Quote from: fj1289 on August 05, 2015, 12:14:32 PM
Are you planning to break it up with some stripes?   Like was done on the "solid color" factory paint jobs?  

I think the Gold/Silver stripe set that is on the '89 models would look good on this project.

http://www.diablocycle.com/FJ1200-1989-Complete-Decal-Set.html

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

element303

oh nice. i never saw these. i have planned to paint the tank and front fairing complete, because that paint need large areas to really work with the breaking sun, then below the tank the side fairing will follow the black line from the front fender black part and again below that on the side the regular color will go all the way to the back.

fj1289

Quote from: aviationfred on August 05, 2015, 01:07:03 PM
Quote from: fj1289 on August 05, 2015, 12:14:32 PM
Are you planning to break it up with some stripes?   Like was done on the "solid color" factory paint jobs?  

I think the Gold/Silver stripe set that is on the '89 models would look good on this project.

http://www.diablocycle.com/FJ1200-1989-Complete-Decal-Set.html

Fred

Really like that matte black 89 Fred

Firehawk068

Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Firehawk068

Quote from: FJmonkey on August 05, 2015, 03:56:15 PM
Quote from: Firehawk068 on August 05, 2015, 02:34:17 PM
Quote from: fj1289 on August 05, 2015, 02:02:58 PM
Really like that matte black 89 Fred

It looks like an '86 or '87  :unknown:

The side scoops give it away...

I was looking at the windshield, and the front turn signals.   :blush:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

element303

oh damn i like the windshield. where i can get that? looks way better.

fj1289

element303

alrighty! this is how its going to be divided so it matches with the front fender.

Next step clear coat.

element303

fj1289

Quote from: element303 on August 09, 2015, 08:58:46 AM
alrighty! this is how its going to be divided so it matches with the front fender.

Next step clear coat.

Nicely Done!  FJ's can look a bit slab sided or blocky with some one-color paint jobs - that will break it up a bit and make it "pop" more

element303

Yes I think it will run great into the black seat. The rear I will shorten and get rid of that ugly rear light and entire box behind the seat. Not sure how yet but I saw some ideas.

I also also run a Carbon Look stripe over the original area where the black stripe divided the red and white on the front fairing and tank.