News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Stuck motor. For no apparent reason.

Started by scrapvalue, August 02, 2015, 04:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrapvalue

I live in Wautoma Wisconsin and just picked up a 1985 FJ1100 2 days ago.

Nice clean bike with only 16,700 miles on it.

Hadn't been run in a year or so according to the owner.

I cleaned the carbs yesterday,(impressed on how easy it was to get them out), and got it running.

Put some sea foam in for good measure and road it a few miles.

I rode it again this morning and it ran and idled very well.

Parked it in the driveway for a few hours and went to go start it again.

This is where it gets weird.

Turned the switch on and hit the start button.  Turned over maybe a half of turn, sounded like it back fired lightly and would not turn over any further.

My first thought was that the petcock was not shutting off completely and filled a cylinder.

Took the plugs out and they were dry. Tried to turn it over and it was still stuck.

Thought maybe the starter locked up. Took t out and it is fine.  Motor would still not turn over by spinning the rear wheel. Still had the plugs out.

Pulled the valve cover off and everything is where it is suppose to be in there.

Pulled both covers of the sides of the motor,(at ends of crank shaft and again everything was o.k.

So I am very perplexed and not  very happy FJ owner at this moment.

Again, the bike was running fine when I shut it off.  :dash2:

racerrad8

While you have the left side cover off, use a 14mm wrench and see if you can turn the engine over.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

scrapvalue

I will try that as soon as it quits raining here.
I have been trying to turn it over by putting it in gear and trying to move the rear wheel, but no luck.
It was in neutral when this calamity struck.

scrapvalue

I just went out and was able to turn the motor over with the wrench.

So maybe something is hanging up around the clutch basket maybe?

roverfj1200

I had a similar thing happen with my 88. On a cold start with a part flat battery the engine locked up like something had jammed. I have found with my bike it can kind of back fire when the battery is in poor charge or about to die. I took the bike off the stand and selected top gear and rocked the bike in a manor to make the engine rotate in reverse this freed the engine. Charged the battery and all good. I now run a AGM battery that will crank the bike over well even when partly flat.

It runs fine now and has for many miles. I don't know what it was but would think it was either the starter/alternator chain catching on a tooth and locking against the engine case.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.
1988 FJ1200
1991 FJ1200

Richard.

scrapvalue

Ya, the battery is less then perfect.
Hopefully that is all it is and I can enjoy this beast.
Otherwise, I am going to buy another Honda!   :biggrin:

ribbert

So, motor turns over by hand but not by the rear wheel. Unless you are familiar with the amount and type of force required to turn the motor with the back wheel, it may just appear to be the case. It would be very strange if the motor turned by hand but not by the back wheel from a sudden onset event in neutral. What gear were you in?

When you turn on the ignition, do the dash lights come on?  When you hit the starter do they go dull and back to bright when you release it.
You haven't accidentally knocked the kill switch have you?

The first thing I would check based on your information so far would be the battery terminals. A dodgy or loose connection there will fail under the greatest load, the starter, a mini backfire momentarily increases that load even more. The lights, horn etc will continue to work though once the starter load is off the system.

Given the scant information, these are all shots in the dark, but worth a try. Always check the simple stuff first. Coincidence can often throw a red herring in there too. 

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

scrapvalue

Quote from: ribbert on August 02, 2015, 11:36:13 PM
So, motor turns over by hand but not by the rear wheel. Unless you are familiar with the amount and type of force required to turn the motor with the back wheel, it may just appear to be the case. It would be very strange if the motor turned by hand but not by the back wheel from a sudden onset event in neutral. What gear were you in?

When you turn on the ignition, do the dash lights come on?  When you hit the starter do they go dull and back to bright when you release it.
You haven't accidentally knocked the kill switch have you?

The first thing I would check based on your information so far would be the battery terminals. A dodgy or loose connection there will fail under the greatest load, the starter, a mini backfire momentarily increases that load even more. The lights, horn etc will continue to work though once the starter load is off the system.

Given the scant information, these are all shots in the dark, but worth a try. Always check the simple stuff first. Coincidence can often throw a red herring in there too.  

Noel

I said in my original post that I had the spark plugs out and it still wouldn't turn over by turning the back wheel.  How hard is that?

Pretty sure roverfj1200 hit it on the head.  I will be checking into it further as soon as it gets light out here.

ribbert

Quote from: scrapvalue on August 03, 2015, 06:25:25 AM

I said in my original post that I had the spark plugs out and it still wouldn't turn over by turning the back wheel.  How hard is that?

Well, that would depend entirely on your experience, for many it would be hard.

A lot of owners join here with little or no bike experience, you have told us nothing about yours and we are not mind readers, but if you know what you're doing, excellent, not everyone does.

Most folks just graciously accept any help offered regardless of it's value or accuracy or even if it's below their unknown to us skill level.

Anyway, you seem to have it sorted, good luck, they're a great bike.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

scrapvalue

I do appreciate the help and don't mean to come off rude.
When I said by hand, I actually meant by trying to roll it in gear, like bump starting, but not quite so aggressively.
I have several bikes, but have never had an FJ1100.
I am 57 and have been riding and wrenching on my own bikes for, well as long as I have had motorcycles.
This particular problem is something I have never seen before.
I mean I have had bikes stop working, but never quite like this one did.
Anyway, I now have it so I can roll it backwards and forwards in gear with the plugs out.
I will be going to get a new battery soon and try starting it later.
I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again and sorry if I came off rude.

ribbert

Quote from: scrapvalue on August 03, 2015, 08:31:51 AM
I do appreciate the help and don't mean to come off rude.
When I said by hand, I actually meant by trying to roll it in gear, like bump starting, but not quite so aggressively.
I have several bikes, but have never had an FJ1100.
I am 57 and have been riding and wrenching on my own bikes for, well as long as I have had motorcycles.
This particular problem is something I have never seen before.
I mean I have had bikes stop working, but never quite like this one did.
Anyway, I now have it so I can roll it backwards and forwards in gear with the plugs out.
I will be going to get a new battery soon and try starting it later.
I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again and sorry if I came off rude.

No worries, thanks for the reply.

Let's hope now it's turning over, a fresh battery solves its woes.

Noel

mark1969

Don't worry mate, he assumes everyone (other than him) is stupid.  :good2:

scrapvalue

Quote from: mark1969 on August 03, 2015, 09:40:56 AM

There is one,(or a dozen on every forum). Sometimes I even try to pretend myself!
But anyway, the new battery is on the charger now.
If it turns out to be this simple, I will be a very happy camper. But until then I will be skeptical.

Firehawk068

Quote from: mark1969 on August 03, 2015, 09:40:56 AM

Easy now! :flag_of_truce:

Noel provides alot of helpful information, to alot of people on here.
Maybe sometimes his tolerance level for those that don't provide enough details is a little sensitive.
He has many years of experience, and his advice has helped many.

It's easy for someone who is asking for help, to assume that everyone else automatically knows what you are trying to describe.
If you don't provide enough details about what you are trying to accomplish, it's easy for others to be confused.

Diagnosis, testing, and solving an issue for some, is a very methodical procedure.
Start with step one, then step two, step three, etc.............
While for others, it is more of a "trial-and-error" affair. I've tried this, that didn't fix it. I'll try this next.
Still for others with many years of experience, they see the symptoms and say "OH, I've seen this before. I know what it is".

Most issues will have more than one possible outcome however.

This is a great forum, with many people willing to reach out to help.
Please, if you need to ask the forum members for help, provide as many details as you can.  :drinks:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

scrapvalue

I want to give a BIG "THANK YOU" to roverfj1200.
He hit this one right on the head.
Freed it up like he said and had the battery tested,(pretty much junk).
Got a new battery and it turns over fine now. :good2:

Gotta love it when people are willing to help.

Thanks again.

Free beer for everyone! If you can get here in the next 10 minutes that is.