News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Hello from Denver - new FJ owner

Started by bwanapete, August 03, 2015, 10:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwanapete

Since I plan on asking a whole lot of questions when I get started working on my FJ1200 I thought it fitting to introduce myself to the forum members.

I recently bought a 1992 FJ1200 ABS (69K miles) which I traced back to a member of this forum - he sold it to a kid who did not like the power so I was fortunate enough to get a chance at it. The bike is in decent shape to my untrained eye although there are some obvious fixes I need to do before I can feel comfortable riding it long distance.

The motor runs very smoothly without any stutters or lulls, the bike starts first time with the choke on. Other than the chain it purrs like I imagined it would BUT I did not have the 00's to open the bike up during my test ride - I think I hit 75mph and that was enough for me to start with

This is my first "big bike" after riding mostly Yamaha XT scramblers and although I am excited to get this bike running smoothly I was very nervous and mindful of the power behind that throttle.

I've rebuilt my XT's so do know my way around the older simple single engines and hope to be able to work on this bike although it seems a much more daunting task because of the size.

The bike came with a new chain and sprockets as well as new tires & a Clymer manual.

Any things I should be aware of when attempting to get this job done (I'll take the wheels and tires to a pro shop to get done) but I will have to remove them.

I also plan to replace the spark plugs, oil and filters.

Any pointers while I am starting on this project would be greatly appreciated - I will post pics of my progress

Thanks for the forum and the great info you guys have assembled here

Pete

FJmonkey

Welcome Pete, as you get deeper into your "new to you" FJ we can help you make it proper... Keep posting as you learn more about Kookalooo....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Firehawk068

Welcome to FJ ownership Pete.
(by the way, that looks like Billy Minder's bike from Cheyenne)

I'm in Denver also (well, Aurora anyway)
There are a bunch of members in the Denver area.
We'll have to get together for a ride when you get used to her.

Working on the FJ, and maintaining it is a relatively easy task.
Just think of it as four big singles in a row.  :sarcastic:

Don't hesitate to ask questions, and be mindful to give as many details as possible.
Let me know if you need any help at all. I'm pretty close by. :drinks:

PS: I have a tire-changer, so if you want to bring them over, we can do it in my garage.  :good2:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

movenon

Welcome Pete.  Getting to be a lot on good members in the Colorado area so you should have lots of help if needed.  Alan is a great resource.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

jo-sommer

:hi: and welcome to the forum.

Nice bike, nice colour, have fun with it!

Cheers Jo
having fun

bwanapete

Thanks Firehawk, yes it is Billy's bike, I looked at the bike then saw his posts on this forum and emailed him as he had sold it to a younger kid who did not like the size of the bike. She dropped the bike on the right side.

Thanks for the offer and I'll be sure to ask for help if I cannot figure it out. I'm glad to see so many Denver members.
Pete

Quote from: Firehawk068 on August 03, 2015, 11:16:03 PM
Welcome to FJ ownership Pete.
(by the way, that looks like Billy Minder's bike from Cheyenne)

I'm in Denver also (well, Aurora anyway)
There are a bunch of members in the Denver area.
We'll have to get together for a ride when you get used to her.

Working on the FJ, and maintaining it is a relatively easy task.
Just think of it as four big singles in a row.  :sarcastic:

Don't hesitate to ask questions, and be mindful to give as many details as possible.
Let me know if you need any help at all. I'm pretty close by. :drinks:

PS: I have a tire-changer, so if you want to bring them over, we can do it in my garage.  :good2:

fj1289

Welcome Pete!  I'm in Franktown (SE of Denver past Parker -- biggest landmark is the Stagecoach).  Maybe we can talk Alan into a tire changing party this weekend - I've got a few to swap around!

Firehawk068

Quote from: fj1289 on August 04, 2015, 10:59:57 AM
Welcome Pete!  I'm in Franktown (SE of Denver past Parker -- biggest landmark is the Stagecoach).  Maybe we can talk Alan into a tire changing party this weekend - I've got a few to swap around!

We can plan on Sunday if you like.  :good2:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

LarryFJ1990

Hi Pete, I'm located in Parker. I'm also new to the forum and new to riding. I'm still getting my feet wet.
I got a 1990 FJ1200 for free with only 9,300 miles on it. The bike needed a carb cleaning when I first got it other than that
the bike is in fantastic shape. Alan can attest to that  :yes:. I'm almost at 10,000 miles now and ride whenever the weather permits.
I've only been on the forum since may but I can tell there are a ton of great people on here with a wealth of knowledge!
Looking forward to riding with the Colorado crew someday  :dance2:
Larry L.