News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

1989 FJ1200: to Hell and back.....

Started by great white, August 09, 2015, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

great white

I've wanted and FJ since I was in High school (for ref, I was in High school when they were released on the public in 1984).

For various reasons, I never got the opportunity to own an FJ; No money, life's too busy, too many bikes already, too many cars, no space, practice wife got in the way, etc.

But now I've got a neglected 1989 model. Rather than type it all out again, I'm just going to re-post my intro and then carry on from there:

Quote from: great white on May 14, 2015, 06:44:26 PM
Yes, it took a long time, but I finally have an FJ in the garage! I'd lusted after one in 84 when they first came out. I was in high school and the FJ was the newest and hottest WMD in the sportbike world. Unfortunately, the 5-6 grand they cost at the time was far outside of my reach. So I had to settle for having the sales brochures all over my walls and weekend trips to the dealer to stare, sit and drool. The salesmen at the shop very soon knew me by first name. They were good guys: they knew I could never afford it but they let me sit on it and would start it up for me now and then. Ah, youth and lack of funds......

I went through a long list of yammy 2 strokes (RD/RZ 350/400), and a few other used sport bikes such as a GS550ES and a first gen V45 Interceptor (still have the interceptor, although it's pretty modified now and haven't ridden it since 09). I even used to race RD's at shubie in amateur, but I was a better at building hot bikes than riding them at race speeds. After wadding a couple RD's and one spectacular get-off that made everyone in the pits think I'd killed myself, I admitted to myself I just wasn't a racer. I wasn't horrible, i was just never going to be great and it was getting expensive to build bikes only to eventually turn them into paperweights.

I was a "sport bike" kinda guy then and still sort of am. But at 50 years old and a 26 year career in Helicopter Search and rescue operations, my broken and battered bod is no longer "sportbike friendly", so the search for a more agreeable steed began this year. We had also moved into a house with a single+ car garage, so my car projects (83 mustang, 62 TBird, 2004 300m Special) had to go. It was time anyways. Need to downsize, retirement is just around the corner.

I came across an 1983 Venture while surfing Kijiji for my high school lust bike (like I always do), an 1984 FJ1100. The FJ1100 had become that "bike that got away" for me. Over the years it turned into a "bucket list" thing for me.

The Venture ad was very simple: 1983 Yamaha Venture, 31,000 kms, $2650 (CAD), "see it to believe it" and a single picture of it in summer by some water:

The ad was a couple months old, but I sent an email out of curiosity anyways. The bike was still for sale and he sent me a phone number.

As it turns out, he's got a bit of a story with the bike. He's the original owner. As a young single guy he worked a 6 week on, 6 week off job. He would take his XS1100 all over NA in his off time until it finally wore out around 200,000 kms. He traded it on the Venture new, intending to keep riding.

VERY shortly after, he changed jobs to a regular 7 day a week cycle and shortly after that came marriage and kids. No more taking off on long road trips, and the Venture ended up in his heated garage under a cover. He only got it out less than a 1000 kms a year-ish. He always stored it IAW the local bike shop recommendations (ie: oil cylinders,change oils, etc.). He still cared for it as he had the clutch repaired/replaced and the front brake master rebuilt when the seals (apparently) dried out.

He also said he wanted it to go to a good home and would let it go to the right guy for $2150.

The only problem is he was in PEI and I was in NS. Almost as far away in NS as you could get. 6 hour drive one way, 12 hrs round trip. I made arrangements to drive over on the weekend and look at it.

Now here's a twist: I had a long running "want add" on Kijiji stating I was looking for a mint condition 84 FJ1100 and would pay top dollar for one (high school lust bike/bucket list thing). I also stated I would consider all other years depending on price or condition. Not barely an hour after hanging up the phone, I get and email from a guy saying he has an 89 FJ1200 he would be willing to let go, cheap. I call the guy up and after a few minutes of chatting he says he's had it for a year, doesn't really want the bike (took it on part trade for a car) and was thinking of asking $1000 but would let it go for $850. The kicker is he's also on PEI and about 20 mins away from the guy with the Venture. Almost like it was meant to be! He agrees to meet me same day as I'm over to look at the venture. Sure,it's not an 1984 FJ1100, but it's still an FJ. Maybe better than an 84 since by 89 they had sorted the #2 shift issue and fitted proper brakes on modern 17" wheels. And at 850 bucks I'm not ruling it out as an option/good buy to put a tick mark in the box on that bucket list....

So the day comes, I borrow a friends 6x10 steel deck trailer, hook it up to my 3/4 ton diesel, drop the missus in the passenger seat and head out.

I get to the venture and the guy leads me into his garage. It's bloody mint! Well, as mint as a 32 year old bike can be. I'll let pics do the talking:

Engine cases need a strip and polish and there's some paint fade on the top surfaces but that's about it.

One of the perks of him being the original owner was everything the bike came with was there. Lock chain, tool kits,manual, etc. even his original warranty card. All of it looks like the day Yamaha put it in the crate and shipped it from Japan.

Needless to say, I handed him the $2150, loaded the bike on to the trailer and shook his hand good bye. I got a heck of a steal...err, deal. I didn't beat him up on price because he had already dropped 500 bucks on his asking and he threw in the bike cover and a couple helmets. The bike is well worth the $2150 price around these parts.

I drive over to the FJ guy and he's waiting for me. The FJ1200 is in pretty distressed condition. Not really trashed, but it's just gone through some hands that didn't give it a lot of TLC. But, I can tell it's never been down (not even the foot peg feelers are scratched), it runs half decent and it's all there. It runs a little rough and dies when dropped in gear (kick stand switch, but someone has tried jumpering the clutch switch). But there's no obvious signs of engine distress (IE: smoke, noise, etc). It sounds like it just needs a good round of carb work as most carbed bikes do when they've been left to sit more than a couple months. I'll let pics will tell the rest of the story again:

The gent starts talking about the things on the bike (I think mostly so I don't try and beat him up on price). As he's talking, I just pull out $850 bucks and hand it to him. He gets a big grin on his face and says thank you very much. I probably could have haggled him down a bit more, but his price was fair and I'm a straight shooter. He'd already dropped $150 off his asking before I even got there. I don't see the need to "p" a guy off for a few dollars. It's only money after all. We shake hands and part as friends.

We load up and head out. The trip home is uneventful, other than we decide to stop overnight in Amherst rather than push the last 4 hrs.

Yet another twist: I guy I had sent an email to about parting an 86 Royale calls while we are driving. It's on the truck's Bluetooth speaker so the missus can hear it. He says he has a whole bike minus the engine, final drive, radio head and top box luggage. I tell the guy I don't really have much more than a couple hundred to spend since I'm out buying bikes at the moment (already had the venture on the trailer). He just pops out a couple hundred would be fine for everything that's left, he just wants it out of his way. I look at the missus, she gives me that look and says "go get it". Love that woman! It's a parts bike, but what the heck. My 83 is essentially a stripper, I might look to see if I can put the Gucci stuff like Air suspension and cb on it. The VentureCruise control would be nice, since I broke my wrist doing my job and my hand goes number after holding the throttle for 15 minutes. Anyways,nothing wrong with having parts. I'll just break it down into bin-able sizes and store it in the garage loft. *jump ahead a week - picked up the parts bike, seemed good enough when I looked at it. Turns out closer inspection on the breakdown into parts revealed it was a turd. Very little useable left on it at all. Yeah, I got taken. Win some, loose some *

I get the bikes home:

and roll them into the garage:

While I'm waiting to register and insure them, I fixed a few little niggles like a couple broken tabs on the venture side covers and I pulled the gawd awful tail piece luggage rack of the FJ. The rack really messed up the tail fairing. Not sure if I'm going to try and plastic weld it or just replace it. I also notice they have the wrong year mufflers on it and have added a couple pieces of exhaust pipe to span the gap between mufflers and collector box (I'll fix that this winter by relocating the brackets welded on the mufflers).

Once legal, the Venture reveals it's got an issue on the first ride. Big miss, really big. Huge. I figure it's a combination of old gas in the carbs gumming things up and probably carbon fouled plugs from idling on choke in the guy's garage a lot. I had noticed it ran a little rough when I first looked at it. Looking back, I think the guy was a little nervous when I was looking at it, probably worried it was something wrong and I was going to haggle on it. Small potatoes for me to find and fix it, even if it was a carb rebuild (I had already figured on a bare minimum drop them in the ultrasonic and sync job since it had been sitting so much). I had picked up some plugs the day before as I was pretty sure they would be knackered from sitting/idling all those years.

Man o' jezz boy! Are those plugs a PITA to get out! Worse than the V4 in my Interceptor and that's saying something! I get 'em out and sure enough, carbon fouled. But the biggest surprise was the LH front spark wire: went to pull it off and the wire wasn't threaded into the plug cover! Bingo, miss found.

Back together and a ride up the street reveals the miss is gone. Runs pretty good. It's still got a roughness to it,but that's likely the carbs needing a good fettling and balance. Too much freeplay in the throttle makes it hard to be smooth at low speeds. The rear brake master is seized on, rusted pivot holding the pedal on. A quick disassemble and cleaning sorts that out. 120 KPH reveals it to be rock solid and it actually seems to suck down to the pavement. Pretty sure the carbs need a good going through as once it gets fully up on the main jets it runs smooth and pulls like a freight train.

So that's where the Venture sits. Rideable, but needing work. This weekend will see a good going through for adjustments and fluid/grease change/lube.

The FJ12, however, ran like poo when I got it home. Who-ever's hands it had previously passed through either didn't want to spend the money or didn't know what to do with it mechanically. Very likely why the gy is happy to let it go for 850 bucks (and the it won't run in gear thing). 5 minutes fettling with carb adjustments and it's running almost as smooth as the day Yammy made it. While a bit beat up, it still pulls hard enough to flatten your lungs against the back of your rib cage! My lungs get several rounds of bruising on that first ride....love it! :)

Prolonged riding on the FJ won't be a normal option for me though: 10 mins of ripping around and my wrist is bothering me, both wrists. I'm not sure who hung the "sport tourer" name on this bike but it feels like full sportbike crouch to me, wrists are screaming, back is protesting and it feels like my knees are in my crotch. I can't image being on one of the newer "repli-racers"...ouch.

So the FJ12 will just be a fun "hair on fire" weekend rip on local roads bike. A recapturing my youth sort of deal. Lots of great roads here for that and I'll be able to let that big four howl to it's heart's content - that sound is pure food for the soul.

This winter will see the FJ12 torn down to the frame and properly sorted. Cosmetics will be addressed and I'll probably do a variation on the red/silver paint scheme of my high school desire. Drivetrain seems solid, so I'll just tear the carbs down, drop 'em in the ultrasonic and give them a going through. But not a lot of plans other than that for the drivetrain.

3 grand, 2 bikes. A solid touring bike, a bucket list item checked off, a nice winter project and a small overnight trip with the missus.

So, over all pretty good!

P.S. If you're reading this part, thanks for hanging in for the whole, long story!

great white

When I bought the FJ, the ODO showed around mid 40,000 kms.

I was thinking it was low, but not an unusually low number for a Canadian bike. It did seem pretty neglected for a 40,000 km bike though.

I had noticed a few things like a Province of Quebec certificate/sticker on the rear inner fender but still thought nothing of it.

On a random google search, I ran across this from 2013:

http://motorcycle.brick7-ca.com/Givi+Fj1200

1200 bucks or partial trade for a PS3! ughhh....

Then, armed with Rimouski and 1989 FJ1200, I found her from a better day here:

https://www.bikepics.com/members/floydman37/89fj1200/

Same bike, no doubt about it. The pictures show the same exhaust pipes with the same joint piece and muffler clamp it has on it right now. Someone once loved it enoguh to buy a cusom seat.

The next time I can find it surfacing is when I bought it:

So, it's either 145,000 kms or someone rolled the ODO back. I'm going to assume it's at least over 100,000 and likely 145,000.

I am a little disappointed the KMs are so high, but it runs tight and doesn't smoke at start or on when down shifting so that's something.

At any rate, it seems a healthy enough steed to warrant a good going through and setting back to right.

:)

great white

So after fettling with the carbs, chasing down some vacuum leaks and assorted other irritations, I now have a bit of riding time on the old hack.

Gotta say; I'm loving the old girl!

The torque and acceleration slots right into my style of fast riding. We work well together. The sound is just intoxicating! Soul stirring. At least it is for me. I've been diagnosed with PTSD (I'm military) and a quick blast down the twisty side roads here has me back in a proper state of mind in seconds. The FJ seems to be the perfect Rx for me.

It give just enough wind protection but not too much for hot days (I prefer to ride the FJ in hot weather instead of the Venture, which sits you in a warm still air envelope).

But, I've also broken my right wrist when I was younger. That keeps me from riding the Fj any more than 10-odd minutes at a time.

So, it's a throttle lock or some other more complicated form of cruise control so I can let go of the grip and "shake it out".

That brings us up to date and I'll copy my cruise control thread over to this project thread and just carry on....:)

great white

Quote from: great white on August 06, 2015, 09:50:35 AM
A little background: I broke my right wrist a long time ago. My problem is I can't hold the throttle very long without my hand going numb. About 10 mins tops. Throttle locks are all well and good and they do let me "shake it out" to prolong riding time, but don't do much for you on up or down hill grades.

I was looking at my 89 FJ12 and noticed it's got a funny little blanking plate right in the middle.

Oddly enough, it looks just like the slot on my Yamaha venture cruise control throttle housing. Actually, the entire housing looks pretty much the same. would probably even swap if I cared to try.

That got me wondering if it would be possible to retrofit the Yamaha VentureCruise system on an FJ. It's all pretty self contained, all it needs is power and a speed sensor signal.

I've got pretty much a complete 1985 spare system in the parts loft From a venture I scrapped this year.

The throttle cables even look like they would work.

There's a vacuum pump and pot to hide, but the FJ12 has a big enough fairing to get it in there (easily).

Just spitballin' at this time, but has anyone else done anything similar?

My Venture has lots o' torque to pull a cruise system, the FJ has at least as much.

An electronic cruise seems like such a good match for a bike like the FJ12 that's billed as a "sports tourer".....

:scratch_one-s_head:

great white

Quote from: great white on August 06, 2015, 04:08:40 PM
Heres a pic of what got me thinking about the venture cruise swap:

Suspiciously similar, no?

great white

Quote from: great white on August 06, 2015, 07:53:31 PM
Nah, not going aftermarket. I'd just do a throttle lock for 30-40 bucks first.

I'm just intrigued by the venture cruise and the similarities in the throttle cables and bar controls.

I've gone through whats needed to do the swap on my Venture to an 86+ cruise control (has accel/coast/resume vice the 83-85 on/set/off)and the Yamaha system is actually pretty simple.

The 83-85 venture cruise isn't much more than an electronic/vacuum throttle lock, except that it maintains speed for wind and hill loads.Not accel/decel/resume functions.

The only real hangup I see is the throttle cable and the speed signal.

As can be seen here:

It really is simple. I gave all the components so why not give it a go?

The switches and throttle quad are easy peasy. Looks like a direct swap. The boxes, pump, dump valve and vacuum actuator are a simple weld a few brackets on in the right places and bob's yer uncle.

I don't have the wiring harness, but that's not a big deal. I'll just go with weatherpak connectors and make my own disconnects.

The brake and clutch switches are dual channel on the Venture cruise (ie: switches have 4 wires vice 2) but htat is easily handled with a couple relays triggered off the FJ's 2 wire switches.

The big question is the speed sensor and the throttle cables.

I think the speed sensor might not be a problem, as the FJ has what looks like the same sensor on the back of the speedo as the Venture. Visible here on the FJ cluster:

Need to dig deeper on that one though. The FJ service manual calls it a reed switch and the Venture manual calls it a speedo sensor. Even if the sensors are sinilar, if one is putting out a diffeerent PPM (pulse per mile) thant the other one, the cruise is going to be all messed up.Not so much the maintaining speed (it just looks for change) but it only activates between 50-130 KPH. If it thinks the bike is doing less/more than that whem you try to switch it on, it's not going to work.

The throttle cable for the venture will obviously be too long to the handle bars, but the lower portion from the splitter might work fine as is. They even habve the same bend down to the carb linkage. I might be able to use the short FJ splitter to handle bar cable portions with the venture lowers. You can see the differences here.

FJ:

Venture:

I may get lucky and the cable from the venture fit the FJ as is, but I doubt it. They are most likely just too long.

Even so, the junction box in the Venture cable comes apart and there's a wheel assembly in there that joins them all together and makes it work. If the FJ cables don't work with it, I'm sure there's a set of cables out there that are the right length. I've just got to find them.

This is all concept stage at this point. I'd like to work on the FJ this winter, but most of the off months (and money) will be eaten up by the Venture project. Amongst other things, it's getting VMax heads and cams, a 2002 Venture star transmission, VMax rear differential, etc. Basically, I'm building a VMax inside a Venture touring bike. Should be a fun ride....

great white

Quote from: great white on August 08, 2015, 07:32:51 PM
Did a little bit of work on it today. Mainly, just did the handlebar switch and wiring.

First thing I did though was run up to the Bay of Fundy to a little place I know for a nice hearty breakfast by the water:

Belly full and fast rid back down the mountain to the valley. I tore the bike apart.

I would like to say it was just drop the venture throttle housing on, but it wasn't quite that simple. Seems there were a few connector changes between 85 and 89. The venture throttle was not a plug in deal.

I blew both housings apart. The basic castings had the same part numbers, and the switches were same same. But i had to strip the FJ switches and wiring and transfer them over to the venture housing in order to use the venture cruise switches.

Then I had to pull all the pins out of the FJ connector and pull the sleeve off the wiring harness.

With that all done, I had to splice (soldered and heat shrink-ed) the power feed for the cruise to the keyed power wire for the "on/off" switch. It is done the same way on the venture, so I'm not re-inventing the wheel here.

Then it was try to get all that loose wiring back in to the OEM FJ wire sleeve. I ended up using a long length of 20 thou safety wire to pull the wires back and forth through the sleeve.

Finally, it was throttle cables and bolt it back on to the bar.

The finished product looks pretty simple, even if it took me a couple hours to sort it:

While I was into the guts of it, I cleaned and lubricated all the switch contacts and pivots. Works like new.

I also cleaned the buttons and repainted the letters and indicators with white paint.

I had a look a the throttle arrangement. It's going to be a bit of a problem.

The junction box isn't the problem, it's the cables.

The stock FJ cables are too short at the the FJ coupler to work with the Venture cruise junction and the venture cables are far too long and don't have the right ends on the sheaths.

So I'm kind stumped. I think I can use the stock FJ cable sheaths, as they line up nicely with the Venture cruise box. I can probably pick up a knackered old set cheaply somewhere. I may end up having to make my own cable innards though.

I haven't cast lead in quite a while, but I may have to brush up on those skills.....

Firehawk068

Just so you know, the "Reed Switch" that you circled on the back of the FJ speedometer, is used to "Self-cancel" the turn signals when you reach a certain speed (or a certain length of time above a certain speed)  :scratch_one-s_head:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

great white

Quote from: Firehawk068 on August 09, 2015, 09:23:05 PM
Just so you know, the "Reed Switch" that you circled on the back of the FJ speedometer, is used to "Self-cancel" the turn signals when you reach a certain speed (or a certain length of time above a certain speed)  :scratch_one-s_head:

Yep.

The venture uses the same switch for speed sensing and cancelling also.

Same-same.

TexasDave

Quote from: Firehawk068 on August 09, 2015, 09:23:05 PM
Just so you know, the "Reed Switch" that you circled on the back of the FJ speedometer, is used to "Self-cancel" the turn signals when you reach a certain speed (or a certain length of time above a certain speed)  :scratch_one-s_head:
The turn signals will cancel out after a certain amount of time. Or they will cancel out after a certain distance because of how many times that reed switch is switched on and off by the magnet spinning by it driven by the speedometer cable. The faster you go the shorter amount of time the signals will stay on because of greater distance covered. The FJ will go over 100+ with the turn signals on. Don't ask me how I know.    :pardon:   Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

red

Quote from: great white on August 09, 2015, 12:34:48 PMProlonged riding on the FJ won't be a normal option for me though: 10 mins of ripping around and my wrist is bothering me, both wrists. I'm not sure who hung the "sport tourer" name on this bike but it feels like full sportbike crouch to me, wrists are screaming, back is protesting and it feels like my knees are in my crotch. I can't image being on one of the newer "repli-racers"...ouch.
GW,

If you install a handlebar adapter, you can install almost any handlebars in the bike shop, to get your back straighter and the wrists comfortable.  You may need longer lines to the handlebar controls, with some handlebars.  This is one popular kit:

https://spieglerusa.com/controls/handlebar-conversion/model/fj-1200.html

On the chance that some of your wrist/hand numbness or discomfort comes from engine vibration, almost any foam grips might be helpful.  You can also get bar end weights from several sources, and these are about the best for the FJ:

https://www.rpmracingca.com/products.asp?cat=39&filter=vibranator
https://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=M%2FC%3AFoamGrip

RPM is a dedicated FJ vendor, and should have the grips and Vibranators on hand. 

Lastly, you may want to check out peg lowering options, to get the ergos correct for your legs; just don't decrease your lean angle too much with them.

Cheers,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

great white

Quote from: red on August 10, 2015, 10:08:58 AM
Quote from: great white on August 09, 2015, 12:34:48 PMProlonged riding on the FJ won't be a normal option for me though: 10 mins of ripping around and my wrist is bothering me, both wrists. I'm not sure who hung the "sport tourer" name on this bike but it feels like full sportbike crouch to me, wrists are screaming, back is protesting and it feels like my knees are in my crotch. I can't image being on one of the newer "repli-racers"...ouch.
GW,

If you install a handlebar adapter, you can install almost any handlebars in the bike shop, to get your back straighter and the wrists comfortable.  You may need longer lines to the handlebar controls, with some handlebars.  This is one popular kit:

https://spieglerusa.com/controls/handlebar-conversion/model/fj-1200.html

On the chance that some of your wrist/hand numbness or discomfort comes from engine vibration, almost any foam grips might be helpful.  You can also get bar end weights from several sources, and these are about the best for the FJ:

https://www.rpmracingca.com/products.asp?cat=39&filter=vibranator
https://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=M%2FC%3AFoamGrip

RPM is a dedicated FJ vendor, and should have the grips and Vibranators on hand.  

Lastly, you may want to check out peg lowering options, to get the ergos correct for your legs; just don't decrease your lean angle too much with them.

Cheers,
Red

Thanks for the suggestions and links, but I've been down this road before.

My wrists, knees and back are more a result of previous injuries than the bike's ergos.

Nothing can help my right hand from going numb except letting go of the throttle and shaking it out. It's because it's not quite healed right from a break long ago. I've got a throttle lock I'm going to throw on the bike until I can get the venture cruise system done. That way I can let go without the bike going into compression braking every time.

There's already foam grip on it, and I absolutely hate them. Too "squishy". I'll be swapping them out for some superbike gel grips soon.

Bar end weights? Already has them factory, but I can just spin up a set myself if I want to add more weight. It's nice having your own lathe, even if it is just an  old manual one. :)

My knees are ratched from kneeling in the helicopter while hoisting. I have no bursa sacks left. They can even hurt walking up and down steps.

The back? Bulged L4/5. Neck is bulged C4/5. Helicopter again.

Don't get me wrong; the bike ergos don't help. But it's only ever going to get so good for me. Even my Yammy Venture hurts me to some extent, although I can go a lot longer on the Big V than the FJ.

I've pretty much just learned to live with the pain and discomfort.

I enjoy the FJ for what it is. I could get a little more comfort by switching things up but I don't want to loose the FJ's flavor and character as it is.

I've managed to just "toughened up" a bit by building up to riding the FJ longer. Except for my wrist, I can do about 45mins to and hour before I'm looking to get off...:)

great white

I installed some cbr600rr mirrors I had lying around on the fj.

First thoughts were I was conflicted on the look. After a few minutes, I decided they actually went better with the bike than the stickers.

Jumped on and it seemed there was even better rear visibility.

Well, rode it today and while it is better, I'm still looking at too much elbow.

I just finished recovering the seat and once I've taken a bit of a break I'm going to go out and look at either extending the mount at the fairing or adding length to the arm.

Either is pretty easy for me as I have a lathe in my garage and lots of scrap. I can either make new arms or just splice a length into the existing arms...shouldn t take much. Maybe another 2 inches or so....

great white

I don't know whether to say "Yay!" Or "Crap!"

I'm a big fan of radials on my bikes. A set of radials on CBR rims totally transformed my 85 interceptors handling.

But my 89 FJ, as we all know, isn't quite ready to take them "as is". Luckily, my current tires aren't that bad, although the rear is pretty flat spotted from the PO doing a lot of highway miles (I'm guessing).

So I was on the hunt for some new rims.

I found a gsxr rear rim for 50 bucks locally. Bit of a score.

But the front wheel was providing to be problematic. Then I ran across an 88 fzr750 front rim on eBay. Seller wanted 60 bucks USD, and 75 bucks in shipping. Exchange rates made that stupid high for an old rim.

He had a " make an offer option" so I chucked in 30 bucks.

He took it and now I'm paying 140 CAD for an 88 fzr750 front rim. Just the rim, no discs or axle. Hopefully my discs will bolt up and the axle from the fj will work. I can make an axle on the lathe if I have too....

Jeez, the wife is gonna kill me......we just had a talk the other day about going easy on the bank account with bike parts.

I really didn't expect the guy to accept 30 bucks...... :shok:

markmartin

Quote from: great white on August 10, 2015, 02:06:18 PM
I installed some cbr600rr mirrors I had lying around on the fj.

First thoughts were I was conflicted on the look. After a few minutes, I decided they actually went better with the bike than the stickers.

Jumped on and it seemed there was even better rear visibility.

Well, rode it today and while it is better, I'm still looking at too much elbow.

I just finished recovering the seat and once I've taken a bit of a break I'm going to go out and look at either extending the mount at the fairing or adding length to the arm.

Either is pretty easy for me as I have a lathe in my garage and lots of scrap. I can either make new arms or just splice a length into the existing arms...shouldn t take much. Maybe another 2 inches or so....

Consider looking into the CBR250 OEM mirrors .  They are about $40 bucks each and have better glass and a longer stock.  The FJ mount can be modified with an angled wedge under the mount or some have modified the mounting holes on the mount that comes with the CBR250 mirrors.  Either way, you'll never go back to the stock or the CBR 600 mirrors.  The search function will lead you to a few write ups on this mod. with part numbers and sources.