News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

GIVI Tanklock system on '84 1100

Started by Dads_FJ, August 22, 2015, 08:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dads_FJ

Just passing along my tankbag mod using the GIVI tanklock system on my '84

Using grease on my drill bits and then using this with some goop for sealing:
http://www.harborfreight.com/45-piece-threaded-insert-riveter-kit-1210.html

John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'92 Yamaha TDM850
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'81 Yamaha IT250(H)
'77 Yamaha IT175(D)
'39 BSA WM20

Arnie

Looks pretty good there. 
Since you'll be keeping this FJ for eternity, you don't have to worry overmuch about resale. 
It must have been difficult to drill the first hole though. 
Kinda like the 1" hole I cut in my brand new car to install an antenna 40 some years ago.

Arnie

Dads_FJ

You got that right Arnie, you don't know how many times I double-checked my work befor drilling.  Once that first whole was drilled I knew there's no going back.
John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'92 Yamaha TDM850
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'81 Yamaha IT250(H)
'77 Yamaha IT175(D)
'39 BSA WM20

ribbert

Now that is just excellent!

100% perfect solution. As the original user of tanklock bags here, it still impresses me every time I use it. I like it so much I have two bags, the smaller semi hard shell bag probably getting the most use.

Mine have done many miles and even been forcibly knocked off a few times with fall overs without any damage to the locking mechanism.

I periodically check the integrity of the mount and it shows no sign of loosening off with use, you'll love it.

Well done.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

giantkiller

I have the same bag and mine has sagged down in the back and is rubbing my paint. Been thinking of maybe putting a thin piece of stainless or something under it. To hold it up but haven't gotten a round 2it yet.
But other than the sagging. I love it. Got a ring on all of the bikes so I can use the same bag on any bike.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

ribbert

Quote from: giantkiller on August 22, 2015, 11:11:52 PM
I have the same bag and mine has sagged down in the back and is rubbing my paint. Been thinking of maybe putting a thin piece of stainless or something under it. To hold it up but haven't gotten a round 2it yet.
But other than the sagging. I love it. Got a ring on all of the bikes so I can use the same bag on any bike.

Yeah Dan, I had the same problem. Short term fix was a bit of duct tape. I then made a spacer plate just thick enough to raise it so it didn't touch, then it sagged a bit more. I could have made a thicker plate but felt I would chasing my tail.

What I had planned to do, and will get around to doing, was cut a piece of 16mm marine ply to shape, stick black vinyl to it and glue it to the bottom of the inside of the bag. You could even put a few screws and flat washers or staples (SS) from the underside to be sure.

About this time I realised I don't actually carry much in my tank bag and had never even expanded it and it was too floppy to operate the zip one handed while riding, so I bought this and have used it ever since.

It's not quite as big as it looks in the photo but carries all I need.

If I buy a new camera I will go back to the other bag for trips, after I fix the base.

Noel

I notice the newer bags of that model are slightly different in design, perhaps they've fixed it now.
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

giantkiller

I use mine alot. That's not a bad idea about screws to pull it up. Might look into the smaller one.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1