News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Clutch - how hard or smooth should the gearshift be?

Started by bwanapete, August 30, 2015, 02:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Conlon

Interesting, thanks Arnie :good:

I would try this mod, but I'm chicken and the clunk is no big deal to me... I'm not worrying about ruining a clutch basket. That's an easy replacement. As the article warns with the extra drain holes, I would worry about a reduction in oil pressure when the engine is singing the kookaloo song.

Who wants to be first?

You've got to ask yourself, is the risk worth the reward?
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

ribbert

Quote from: Arnie on January 03, 2016, 07:14:09 PM
Earl,

Here are a couple of pics that show clutch hub/basket drilling.
These are NOT pics of FJ parts.

Arnie

Interesting idea but as the FJ clutch has no operational issues, unlike the bike above, I would be reluctant to compromise the integrity of the basket drilling holes all over it for what is not really a problem, just an annoyance.

Personally it doesn't bother me, I only select first from neutral once per ride, after first start of the day when it's cold, otherwise it stays in gear and gets started in gear. If I was in the habit of coming to a stop in neutral all day long it would probably annoy me too.

The smooth engagement when cold (IMO) is the oil being just thick enough to stop the gearbox being dragged around by the clutch (and offers much less resistance when it warms up and spins)

On mine when hot, having come to a stop in first gear, if I put it in neutral but leave the clutch pulled in, I can reselect first at any time, long or short, without the clunk. This means the drag is enough to keep it spinning but not enough to start it spinning, so it's right on the threshold and would explain why some do some don't.

OK, who's going to be first! Theoretically, drilling holes may be the fix but it is a fix to a problem that's not really a problem but once carried out might become a problem. Remember, and exploding clutch basket is not only going to ruin your day, but possibly your engine as well.

Heaven forbid this should become the next "mod de jour"

Learn to love the clunk (or leave it gear).

Noel

Note: I can't see the connection between drilling excessive holes and depriving the gearbox and top end of oil (as mentioned in the text), all you are doing is slinging off oil that has already been delivered under pressure.
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Quote from: Shane4371 on January 03, 2016, 05:22:45 PM
.......i dont use the clutch after first gear.

What about when you are wringing the neck out of it or down shifting?

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Arnie

When I put those drilled clutch pics in the gallery, I added this:

Description: Here are a couple of drilled clutch hubs and baskets to increase oil flow.
They were on different bikes, but the principle should be the same.
I'd be careful to relieve the edges of any holes you drill, these bikes do not have the massive torque of the FJ.
Standard Disclaimer: If you do this, its all your responsibility.  I make no claims of its suitability or safety for use on the FJ.

I probably should have added that to the post with the pics in it.

Note: I have NOT done this to my FJ, nor did I do it to my RG500.  The one bike I've owned that would probably have been most improved by this mod would have been my Norton Commando, but its long gone from my ownership.

Shane4371

That modification makes no since,it weakens the clutch housing reducing its life Span.

Shane4371

That a spinning assembly, addional holes drilled in it will throw addional oil away from the clutches, u have also weakened the housing by removing material.

Fred R

my 91 fj with xjr1200 engine doesnt have those problems as much as mij 91 with fj engine, to reduce the clunk, I roll it out of the garage backwards put it in gear, still rolling and engine off loosen the clutch en it comes loose, starting and putting in gear no problems

Earl Svorks

That nasty clash going into gear ,,,, Do you suppose that the actual friction plates could be part of the problem ? I have looked at a lot of clutch plates in a lot of bikes, car transmissions , heavy equipment. Every one of them has some variation of slotting or grooving in the material face on the friction disk. Are these relief slots there to channel the oil out? I think I'll look a bit further into this.
Any thoughts ?

oldktmdude

Quote from: Earl Svorks on January 05, 2016, 03:14:54 PM
  That nasty clash going into gear ,,,, Do you suppose that the actual friction plates could be part of the problem ? I have looked at a lot of clutch plates in a lot of bikes, car transmissions , heavy equipment. Every one of them has some variation of slotting or grooving in the material face on the friction disk. Are these relief slots there to channel the oil out? I think I'll look a bit further into this.
Any thoughts ?
These slots or channels are also present on clutch plates on vehicles with dry clutches. They may help oil escape but I'm not sure that's their main job.   
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

Earl Svorks

Thanks for that Arnie. I'm thinking that this procedure was aimed at fixing a different problem, or symptom than what irks me. I will look at the friction plate options and see what develops.

ribbert

Earl, the slots you mention on dry car/ heavy equip etc. clutches are for heat and dust removal.

As previously mentioned, it is IMO right on the threshold and would not take much to stop it happening but I'm not sure how you would go about it or if the "problem" is worth the effort.

Have you considered limiting the oil supply to it or making it splash feed only. I wouldn't reckon the plates are big enough or thick enough to withstand any modification.

Does it really annoy that much?

Noel

Mark Olson

When at a rally, it is quite the sound of 20 FJ,s banging into first gear.
Awesome to behold. Personally , I have no problem with it . If you wanna drill out the hub or restrict oil to it go for it and let us know what happens. With as many problems as the clutch already has being barely enough for the fj's tourqe I would be cautious about weakening the hub. I wonder if the guys with the Barnet setup have the clunk issue.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Pat Conlon

Quote from: Mark Olson on January 05, 2016, 07:37:37 PM
I wonder if the guys with the Barnet setup have the clunk issue.

Yes, both my '84 and my '92 with the Barnett coil spring conversions, still have the clunk.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

rktmanfj

Nah, it sometimes sounds more like someone hitting the cases with a poleax.    :shok:

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

Mark Olson

Quote from: not a lib on January 05, 2016, 08:16:46 PM

Nah, it sometimes sounds more like someone hitting the cases with a poleax.    :shok:

There is never any doubt if it went into first when you hear that bang.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"