News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Cafe XJR (FJ based engine)

Started by Klavdy, August 31, 2015, 09:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPaganel

Quote from: Pat Conlon on September 02, 2015, 12:03:56 AM
They have them in Canada. Buy one.
XJR has not ever been sold anywhere in North or South America. They are not listed in Canadian parts catalogs.  If there are any in Canada, they are private imports. Rare and expensive.

Quote from: CutterBill on September 01, 2015, 11:46:18 PM
Arnie, I'm not sure but I don't believe we can import non-DOT (Department of Transportation) approved motorcycles.  I know for a fact that we can't import non-DOT cars.  We have strict rules about the lights, mufflers, smog, brakes...  I think if it were possible, some one would be importing a boat-load of XJR's.  I know I would buy one.
Bill
We can. However, the cost to do so is so ridiculous and the process so complex, it's as good as impossible for an average guy.

AFAIK, it's a little easier if you are in the military and bring the bike with you from an overseas deployment. The only XJR I've seen for sale  in US was brought here by a sailor who was stationed at Okinawa and bought it there.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

1986 FJ1200, flaming wreck, repaired and sold
1986 FJ1200, repaired, ridden, sold

I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcicle

ribbert

I've never quite understood the appeal of an XJR. They don't fit into any category. You would buy an R1 to go fast, an FJR to tour or cruise etc and naked bikes are very tiring to ride any distance.

The BMW K100 (longitudinal 4 cyl) was on many top 10 worst bike lists at the time, not because of any flaw, but because it wasn't aimed at any segment of the market nor did any one thing particularly well. That's how the XJR strikes me. I can't think of any occasion where that would be the best machine on the day. IMO.

If anyone can enlighten me as to their appeal, I'm all ears, as usual.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Pat Conlon

Quote from: ribbert on September 02, 2015, 10:37:35 AM

The BMW K100 (longitudinal 4 cyl) was on many top 10 worst bike lists at the time, not because of any flaw, but because it wasn't aimed at any segment of the market nor did any one thing particularly well. That's how the XJR strikes me. I can't think of any occasion where that would be the best machine on the day. IMO.

It was ironic that Cycle magazine placed the brick engine K100 as MOTY in 1984, much to my surprise.

Thanks guys, I didn't know that the XJR was not available in Canada.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

jscgdunn

I've never quite understood the appeal of an XJR. They don't fit into any category. You would buy an R1 to go fast, an FJR to tour or cruise etc and naked bikes are very tiring to ride any distance.

Noel

They look great!  My dream bikes were Honda cb750 and 900 Kawasaki's.....nostalgia kicks in big time....
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

great white

Noel

I would say just zipping around here to there locally, a small windscreen makes the standard style capable of a bit longer trips.

Then there's always "posing" at the local hangout as they have that kind of bulky "macho" look. You know the one: that 1970's mustached guy in the stylish leather jacket leaning over the tank and selling you on a cigarette while the long haired blonde beauty in tight slacks stares off screen at something we'll never know..... :sarcastic:

There's always the "i just like it" argument. Different strokes for different folks.

Standards style bikes (which is what I see the XJR as) have their places. Kind of OK at everything (sometimes with a few tweaks) but not really stellar at anything.

They're essentially the motorcycling worlds definition of "middle ground".....

The General

Noel
Maate.......BMW K100 make great sidecar horses me thinks. Enlightenment is in being all eyes not ears! (unless you`re into Harleys.....not that there`s anything wrong with that!)

Ya can`t be an old Rock`n Roller and not see the appeal in this one for example:

`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

ribbert

Quote from: The General on September 03, 2015, 05:04:33 AM

Noel
Maate.......BMW K100 make great sidecar horses me thinks. Enlightenment is in being all eyes not ears! (unless you`re into Harleys.....not that there`s anything wrong with that!)

Ya can`t be an old Rock`n Roller and not see the appeal in this one for example:

You're absolutely right Doug, it looks great! I'm just not sure it on what occasion it would be the best bike for the ride.

Pat quoted the K100 as having been given the BOTY gong. Of course, they were technically brilliant, great brakes, handling, motor etc and in an era when none of that was necessarily the standard.
I quoted its inclusion in top ten worst bike lists. Of course, it has all the above but where and when would it be your mount of choice. Like the XJR, there was always another model in the line up better suited to whatever your riding preferences were.

But yes, they do look great and I love the nod to old school styling and that backbone frame leaving an uninterrupted view of the magnificent power plant.

How quickly we forget, I rode a naked bike recently and even at a modest 120kph, I wondered how I ever did it for such long distances and at much higher speeds. Maybe youth had something to do with it. :biggrin:

Noel

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking"
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

The General

Quote from: ribbert on September 03, 2015, 07:29:28 AM
Quote from: The General on September 03, 2015, 05:04:33 AM
They don't fit into any category..... and naked bikes are very tiring to ride any distance.

.... it wasn't aimed at any segment of the market nor did any one thing particularly well.  I can't think of any occasion where that would be the best machine on the day. IMO.

I'm all ears, as usual.

Noel
Maate..... Enlightenment is in being all eyes not ears! (unless you`re into Harleys.....not that there`s anything wrong with that!)

I'm just not sure it on what occasion it would be the best bike for the ride.

but where and when would it be your mount of choice?.... there was always another model in the line up better suited to whatever your riding preferences were.

I love that backbone frame leaving an uninterrupted view of the magnificent power plant.

I wondered how I ever did it for such long distances and at much higher speeds. :biggrin:

Noel

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking"
mmmmmm........an occasion where there isn`t a model better suited, whatever your riding preference..........

1. A ride ta "Beefies"! (Parramatta Rd Sydney 1969).....I bet no one here remembers that fun.

2. A ride ta Rick`s Garage (Mapleton Muster Oct 29, 2015  https://maps.google.com/maps/contrib/110086395245677457892)
...here`s a review or two...http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g616342-d3436419-r224164992-Ricks_Garage-Palmwoods_Queensland.html

3. For you experienced Southerners, it`s taking her shopping here...http://vintagemelbourne.com/vintage-garage/

I can think of many more occasions, but In those days and esp these, I suspect both you and me didn`t have too many "mounts of choice", while today we are very happy with whatever turns us on, ..... but this is where we differ.....I could never last the long distance then and still can`t today, (esp if she was European me thinks).....I`ve Never been interested in a backbone frame!..... but naked with that uninterrupted view of her power plant still does it for me!   :drinks:
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka