News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Valve clearances

Started by NAVRIG, September 04, 2015, 10:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAVRIG

Hi All

New member here I am sure this has been asked a thousand times but I tried to search but couldn't find the Info.

I have a FJ 1100 84 Mod. What should the Valve clearance be of inlet and exhaust I intend to do this first before I look at any thing else. Also anyone in Melbourne Know where I can get shims and also the valve clearance tool.

Thanks

Kevin

FJmonkey

Time to down load a service manual.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

NAVRIG

Thanks so much for your helpful answer I do intend to buy / download a service manual I have just picked up the bike in the last two days and I wanted to do some checks before spending any more money thats why I asked. But as I said I will get the manual so I do not need to ask any further questions.I did not realise that this forum was only for people that had enough knowledge to not need to ask for help.

Again Thanks

FJmonkey

movenon

Intake .11 -,15mm
EX      .16 -.20mm

Congrats on the new bike. Check the valves cold. Here is a video that might help also. On the manual check e bay for a used factory Yamaha manual. Coffee stains are OK :). http://www.yourepeat.com/watch/?v=zCa556ObEi8
George

Also if you change shims you will need a Valve shim tool. Might find a local member that has one. They are not that expensive.
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

NAVRIG

FJmonkey

Quote from: NAVRIG on September 04, 2015, 10:24:02 PM
I did not realise that this forum was only for people that had enough knowledge to not need to ask for help.
Again Thanks

Its OK to ask for help, but we prefer that one uses the search function first. This site has a mountain of really good information at your finger tips. If you can't find it, then we will be happy to help. Better to teach one how to fish than having to give one a fish each day. This way we can fun fishing together... When we are not riding... :drinks:

mr blackstock

G'day,

I have been using: http://www.precisionshims.com.au/ they are cheap and good quality.

best of luck,

Cheers, Gareth
Squeaky wheels always get the grease...

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

Klavdy

Thanks so much for your helpful answer I do intend to buy / download a service manual I have just picked up the bike in the last two days and I wanted to do some checks before spending any more money thats why I asked. But as I said I will get the manual so I do not need to ask any further questions.I did not realise that this forum was only for people that had enough knowledge to not need to ask for help.

Again Thanks

Fuck off with your passive /aggressive bullshit.
"This guy has got to go. The single most offensive individual I have experienced on the web.
MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

i is a professional website designer, I've built over 100's of sites
And yea I actually get paid for it. about 150 and hour.

great white

ribbert

Klavdy rolls out the welcome mat for another new member.

Quote from: Bones on September 05, 2015, 01:55:43 AM
.......we're all easygoing blokes so don't be afraid to turn up at one of our get togethers.

Tony, maybe you should have qualified that.  :biggrin:

Quote from: Klavdy on September 04, 2015, 11:50:01 PM

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Again Thanks

Haha, Geez Kevin, didn't you know you're meant to be on top of all that stuff before you join. :biggrin:

Look at his signature line - "The single most offensive individual"  You'll find everyone else here helpful and welcoming. This is a great forum but the guidelines/rules on decorum are not enforced and mostly not needed.

Hang in there, you'll get used to it.

I am also in Melbourne, check your PM's.

Noel

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

rlucas

Quote from: ribbert on September 05, 2015, 06:26:39 AM
Klavdy rolls out the welcome mat for another new member.

Noel

I consider an immediate, direct insult from Klav to be a kind of validation...a rite of passage, if you will. Just one of our many endearing qualities.

We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)

ribbert

Quote from: NAVRIG on September 04, 2015, 10:02:16 PM
Hi All

New member here I am sure this has been asked a thousand times but I tried to search but couldn't find the Info.

I have a FJ 1100 84 Mod. What should the Valve clearance be of inlet and exhaust I intend to do this first before I look at any thing else. Also anyone in Melbourne Know where I can get shims and also the valve clearance tool.

Thanks

Kevin

You know, I feel sorry for this guy, had his bike 2 days, excited about doing it up, finds the forum, asks a typical question following a typical experience with the search function, gets told to get a manual, gets told to "fuck off", does what any normal bloke would do under the circumstances, fucks off and is presumably left staring at his bike wondering where he goes for help now.

I know why Klavdy does it, but I still don't understand why everyone else tolerates it, or the powers that be endorse it. It makes a mockery of the welcomes and offers of help.

Hey Klavdy, next time you feel like some forum cleansing, can you leave the Vics out of it, we're a bit short on members down here already.

Noel

great white

Well, to play devils advocate, there was a time before the internet that everyone just went out and bought a manual to work on their "whatever".

There was also a time before the internet that everyone had to deal face to face with a human being so it was much less easy to be an ass behind a computer screen.

Of course, the internet has also made it much easier to just find the info if you do a simple google search: www.fjclub.dk/litteratur/FJ1200-OM-Engelsk.pdf

This thread is relatively short, but rife with all of it.

Lots of blame to go around here for both the OP and the respondents.

Maybe the guys "fucks off", maybe he doesn't. Maybe he deserved it, maybe he didn't.

Kind of a moot point now.......