News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Electronics voltage question

Started by pdxfj, February 21, 2009, 07:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxfj

Any fellow electronics geeks?

I need to power a camcorder from DC power.  The camera says it requires a DC input of 7.4 volts.  The OEM AC power adapter says it outputs 7.4 volts, but I read a steady 7.6 volts with my multimeter.  I took the reading with the camera powered up and running, from the DC out points inside the adapter.  Seems damn near impossible to take a reading at the camcorder.

I have a DC to DC adapter with selectable voltage.  One setting is 7.5 volts, and I read 7.75 volts at the end of the cable.  It is beefy enough to run the camcorder.

The camera uses a funky size power plug and I haven't been able to locate a tip for it.  So my plan is to cut the cables and install connectors on both the AC and DC to DC adapters.  Then I can move the cable to which ever power source I need to use.

So it seems the camcorder is ok with .2 volts extra, question is will it be ok with an extra .15 volts on top of that?  I know not many AC to DC adapters are regulated, although the one for the camcorder appears to be a switching power supply.

Ideas?  I have thought about a DC to AC converter, but I don't trust the reliability of those.  Sears sells a 50w model for about $30 which is more than the camcorder needs.

Thanks for your thoughts.   ;D

dduchene

Measure the currant that it is drawing and then put a resistor in line and it will have the same voltage. This would be a simple and a safe choice

Denis

MyFirstNameIsPaul

Why not just get a car adapter for the camera and install a cigarette lighter accessory adapter?  It's super easy, and I'll bet you can get a car adapter for your camera cheap.

Arnie

That would be a very picky camcorder if it got upset at a +2% variance in voltage.  Also, your measurement is likely with the PS open circuit, so it will read higher than it will provide when under load.
If it were mine, I'd hook it up and try it.  However, its yours so you'll have to decide if its worth the small risk of damage.

Cheers,
Arnie