News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

9000 miles on an 84 fj

Started by azure, October 08, 2015, 06:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azure

Impressive group of folks this is, in many ways. I received a note from Randy Raduechel relating that it was not he who sent my gift, but a third party who apparently has done this with some frequency for other forum members anonomously. I am moved! To whoever you are, thank you both for my gift, and for your act of giving.

Motofun

Sorry I'm so late to the party, but this was a terrific read.  Thanks so much.
As an original purchaser of a '85 FJ1100 I can add that the anti-dive units are worthless, however, don't just block them off.  The two passages need to be cross connected so that fork oil can travel between them.
Jack
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

azure

Thanks Jack,

For your kind words as well as advice. My concern is to have no communication between braking and suspension. I am not certain that I can sense small discrepancies between damping in one fork vs the other due to hopefully small differences in fork oil quantity. Is that what the crossover would equalize?
Once again, thanks!

Urban_Legend

There are anti dive blank off's that you can buy (I have seen them on here somewhere)  that have the oil galleries. These do not cross over between the forks, but allow the oil to flow as it should around each individual fork.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Urban_Legend

Quote from: azure on November 15, 2015, 06:09:51 AM
Impressive group of folks this is, in many ways. I received a note from Randy Raduechel relating that it was not he who sent my gift, but a third party who apparently has done this with some frequency for other forum members anonomously. I am moved! To whoever you are, thank you both for my gift, and for your act of giving.

In relation to this group and paying it forward. I belive that this group, and FJers in gereral, are some of the most giving , and patient, people is have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I have recieved thier kindness and payed it forward on many occasions, and will happily do it again.  :praising:

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Dan Filetti

Quote from: Urban_Legend on January 31, 2016, 05:18:36 PM
There are anti dive blank off's that you can buy (I have seen them on here somewhere)  that have the oil galleries. These do not cross over between the forks, but allow the oil to flow as it should around each individual fork.

Here they are for $100!!  -seem pricey but it gives you the idea...

http://www.demonspeedracing.com/product_info.php?products_id=70

Dan

Live hardy, or go home. 

azure

Thanks to all for the idea of blocking these units. If anyone has a minute to explain why isolating the unit from brake fluid is not adequate to keep the valve from actuating, I'd appreciate it.
Best to all!

FJmonkey

If you don't want to spend the $$$ for the block off plates. And you don't mind a slightly less finished look, take the tops off your AD units and flip the lower units upside down. Remove the excess brake lines and you have the same functioning thing as the $100 units. Then if you really want a more finished look, spend the money. I know a few members that have done that, so it can be done.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

azure

FJmonkey

Quote from: azure on February 06, 2016, 10:46:26 AM
Thank you Fjmonkey!
Happy to help, that is what is so good about this site, all the help and contributions that improve our FJs and our love to ride them.  :drinks:

Now you can spend that $100 on other more useful modifications like RPM fork valves...

azure

Thanks! I used a set of those gold valves in a set of Goldwing forks I put on my my cb750, good stuff!

FJmonkey

The gold valves are much better than our stock forks, but I am talking about the RPM valves. I have no personal experience with the gold valves but many that used them liked them a lot. I do have personal experience with the RPM valves. I went from stock forks to the RPM valve, night and day difference. The front felt firmly planted in the twisties and minor bumps simply vanished. The dots glued to the freeway lanes now feel like they are just paint. I can sense that I am hitting them so more like thick paint.

http://www.rpmracingca.com/prodimages/large/M%20C%20RPMForkValve-1.jpg

azure

That sounds like as good an endorsement as could be offered! I am in the midst of renovating a home we just purchased, and am feeling, shall we say, less than flush, as we haven't sold the old place yet. However, that's a modest price compared to the gold valves, and since I stripped my fj down for a thorough pre-Spring cleaning...!

FJmonkey

Quote from: azure on February 06, 2016, 07:54:08 PM
That sounds like as good an endorsement as could be offered! I am in the midst of renovating a home we just purchased, and am feeling, shall we say, less than flush, as we haven't sold the old place yet. However, that's a modest price compared to the gold valves, and since I stripped my fj down for a thorough pre-Spring cleaning...!

I forgot to mention that for me it had one major side effect. My old stock rear shock was suddenly drawing my attention in a bad way. Considered your self warned...

azure

Ugh, I replaced my original shock with someone's new takeoff, done 30 years previously, but the price of rear shocks are... shocking! Did you replace, and what with?