News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

ignition barrel issue

Started by nchattaway, November 28, 2015, 05:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nchattaway

Hello all,
My FJ1100 headlight doesn't work. The bike has been sitting in the previous owner's garage for 7 years until a few months ago when I bought it. I took it to an auto electrician and they did some poking around and said it seems like the electrical "parts" of the ignition barrel switch. There's no power getting to the headlight switch apparently. When they bypassed the ignition barrel, they got the headlight working on HI beam, but the LO beam still had no power at the bulb so that could be a broken wire or faulty LO/HI switch.

I thought I had found a brand new replacement ignition barrel on gumtree for $25, but the guy sold it. RPM sells them (3 wire type) but they cost a lot more plus international shipping to Australia. Would my early 84 build (serial number 505) have a 3 wire ignition barrel?

Or, are these easy enough to strip down and clean up? There's a guy in Adelaide called Bikelec. Anyone got anything to say about him? Does he know his stuff?

There's a fair few niggling issues with my FJ1100, like anything that's been sitting unused for 7 years would have. I'm going to post each issue as I come to it.

Cheers,
Nathan

MOTOMYSZOR

We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About

aviationfred

According to Partzilla, the ignition key switch is still available from Yamaha.

Item #26

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1989/FJ1200W/ELECTRICAL+2/parts.html

Also, this switch will work, it is the same P/N as the FJ switch. It does need a new connector on the end.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/86-FZ750-FZ-750-Yamaha-key-and-ignition-switch-lock-set-/311125284087?hash=item48708314f7:g:NLAAAOSwDN1UNotb

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

nchattaway

Thanks guys, it doesn't look like too fast a job to remove the top triple clamp. I guess both bars, flip them out of the way, then the triple clamp, flip that up and drill the heads off the security bolts, right?

While I was reading that thread about the ignition switch stripdown, I read a bit about a headlight relay mod and a charging circuit relay mod. These sound interesting, because I've also fitted a Li-Iron battery and it may need slightly higher charging voltage than OEM lead acid.

Any good info for the relay mods, preferably with photos?

Thanks,
Nathan

PS the FJ bug may have bitten me hard. Today I sealed the deal on another 84 FJ1100, this one is a going concern already and rides fairly well apart from spongy forks and brake lines. So I'll have something to ride while I sort out a few issues with the first one.

Arnie

Do the headlight relay mod. Like adding another light. :-)

I don't know about the charging circuit relay, have never had any problem.
The ignition coil relay may be of interest too, especially if you ride the 6-10K RPM range frequently.

Arnie

ct7088

I used a single thirty amp relay to bypass the ignition switch. The switch controls the relay with a ten gauge wire to the relay and on to the existing harness. This brought the voltage above twelve volts (at an idle) for the headlights, voltage regulator and coil power. The use of more relays and directly feeding each accessory individually would give full battery voltage which in a prefect world should be 13.75 volts at full alternator output.

Chris
Chris