News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

swing arms

Started by groome, December 01, 2015, 04:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

groome

Hey everyone.

Now the 3cv is off the road for a engine rebuild I'm gonna start doing a few other mods. One I have been thinking about is changing the swing arm I have already done the gsxr 5.5 rear wheel conversion but is there a swingarm that will work with that wheel that has been done by anyone? I would like to go for a braced swingarm as I love the look.
Cheers
89  fj12 banshee

Normal = BORING

Arnie

Why not just get your FJ arm braced while the engine is being massaged.
That way you can choose how its braced, and there will be no need for further machining.
And, you know it'll fit.

the fan

Easiest route is to use a tried and true YZF750 arm and wheel (Basically the same as doing a YZF1000)

You should be easily able to sell the GSXR wheel and recoup some of your costs

groome

ive seen lots of write ups on doing the conversions but no real reviews of how much of a difference they make.
89  fj12 banshee

Normal = BORING

groome

has anyone got an idea what swing arm this is????
89  fj12 banshee

Normal = BORING

fj1289

Quote from: groome on January 26, 2016, 12:32:22 PM
has anyone got an idea what swing arm this is????

Looks like an 89 or later FZR1000 arm painted black.

groome

thats what i did wonder it is the under slung caliper that confused me as it looks as if it has no torque arm?
89  fj12 banshee

Normal = BORING

FJmonkey

Quote from: groome on January 26, 2016, 01:17:37 PM
thats what i did wonder it is the under slung caliper that confused me as it looks as if it has no torque arm?

It does not, there is a machined groove between the swing arm and brake slave bracket, that I think Giantkiller also did, very clean looking.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

giantkiller

Yes I have 92 gsxr-600 wheels on the 89 and the 1350. The gixxer 600 brake caliper bracket has a ridge that slides in a chanel on the inside of the Swingarm. I have a spare 86 Swingarm that I welded the chanal to also. I'm working on putting 92 r1 Swingarms on the Turbo and the 1350. It uses a similar set up. Underslung caliper no torque arm. If I remember right. It's part of the chain adjuster slide. Been a while since I have worked on the r1 Swingarms.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1