News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

LED GLOBES.

Started by Jeff0308, January 05, 2016, 04:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff0308

I just changed my dash and headlight globes to LED ones. (T10). Thanks to FJ MONKEYS recommendation. Changed them all. What a difference. The dash globes are polarity sensitive. So you need the ignition on to check if they work. I got advised to leave the FUEL original due to the solenoid on reserve functioning. I also fitted an LED headlight (4 sided globe). It to has made a huge difference however it's not aimed properly yet so I can tell what high beams like. Low beam is way better.  Tried them all out last night just in the driveway as the bike is still in bits. High beam idiot light got put back to original as the glare was to much  I put the old globes back for the OIL light as I'm not certain when the oil level drops a bit it tends to faintly glow. Not certain if the led has dimming abilities so rather than chance it I left that as is. INDICATOR idiot lights and NEUTRAL are still LED 

FJmonkey

Jeff, the low fuel is the only light that dims so you could put the low oil light back to LED. Since I did the LED dash I now have a rapid flash for the right turn signal and one dash light that is intermittent. So I need to address that when I take the fairing off next. Simi_Ed had no issues on his '89 when he went LED so I am not sure what the issue is. The signals all work so I am not overly concerned, just not sure why it changed. Having ridden in daylight and at night, I am happy that I made the change. I am also happy you benefited as well. The power of this forum...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Jeff0308

I changed all the globes to LED had no issues other than the "high beam" idiot light blinding me.everything works well  The clock is brilliant as well. I was a bit concerned with the " oil" light for the reason of running low. As I still had it all in bits it was easy to revert to the old globe.  It's only the" indicators" and "neutral" globes I left as LEDs. I am really impressed with the way it's turned out so far. I had thought of painting the needles of the gauges white for more " highlighted" readings but not certain yet.  Got heaps more to do yet. Handlebars are next .  Clutch is done. Shims done. Carbis done. So far so good everything is to plan. It's the waiting for the rest of the bits that's doing my head in.

Arnie

What color, wattage, and/or lumens are these T10 LEDs that you've used to replace the instrument lamps with?
I've seen them available is multiple colors, and wattages from 1/2W all the way up to 10W.

Arnie

FJmonkey

Arnie this what I used. Almost twice the lumens as stock lights.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/194-Package-6x5630
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Jeff0308

flips

Hi Guys.
I Did mine quite a while back.I don't recall specifically the T10 led lamps (white lamps) I used but it brightened up the cluster quite a bit.I did all but the fuel warning light.Sorry about the blurry pic...

They are similar to these if I recall correctly....

Cheers  :drinks:

Jeff P
Stay rubber side down.

X-Ray

Nice work! One of those jobs I will get around to.
On a side note, will we see you in March Flips?
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

Jeff0308

White needles look good flips. Did you do them? Jeff s

flips

Hi Ray.

Not Sure If I will make the rally this year.I will try.Work is really hectic,mums really crook,too many projects,trying to save some cash...etc
I haven't really ridden since the last rally.The only 2 attempts at going for a ride post rally have resulted in nearly being cleaned up by fucktard Sydney drivers on both occasions  :ireful: so the fj has been just sitting under its cover.

Hi Jeff308.

The needles are stock.They are made from a translucent plastic that originally had a nice orange tint that has faded over time.The needles will catch some light from around the centre shaft that escapes from inside the cluster causing the needles to glow a little.The led lamps help.
I think if you painted the needle's,they may be less visible in the dark.( edit I think you got some great advice in the thread you started on the topic on how to refresh the needles!)

Cheers  :drinks:

Jeff P
Stay rubber side down.

Arnie

Thanks all. Just the info I wanted.

Arnie

Charlie-brm

I agree with what Flips said about not painting the indicator needle. I don't think putting an opaque coating of any kind is going to help at night. Now if you could find a translucent dye, or as I'm writing this I'm thinking, try some highlighter marker and test if it would hold its pigment; but I think it would fade out in less than a season.

I would like to know more about the headlight replacement. I'll be trying that in the coming year but every extra month I can wait, some improvement in technology is available and for less money.

Three years ago I replaced everything but the fuel bulb with LEDs. No more excuses for leaving the indicators flashing past the turn or keeping the high beam on against oncoming traffic, because they catch my eye. My 1984 handled the blinkers without needing any updated flash unit. I would say if an owner thinks the LED is too bright, try a lower output LED instead of reverting to the incandescent bulb. Get lower output by ordering replacements with fewer SMDS or using SMDs with less lumens each.

My LEDs are 10 element but older tech so I think they are type 3520 SMD's. The ones linked in this week's posts are much higher output. In fact the ones linked I thought would be higher than 100 in total lumens. Each 5650 SMD element is rated at 45-50 lumens and there are 6 on each #194 replacement.

Here is a "behind the scenes comparison of a standard #194 filament bulb flanked by my 10 element replacements.

The replacements:

FWIW, I have baggies full of various types of these things and when the apartment hallway breaker gave out, I ran a string of LEDs out from my apartment to illuminate the stairway for safety. Powered by a calculator transformer, I figured the 6 LEDs took less power than the one weak ass bathroom night light I plugged in first, that is rated at 7 Watts; and the landlord and other tenant liked them way better  :bye2:

If someone wants to see any images I refer to in posts, first check my gallery here. If no bueno, send me a PM. More than glad to share.
Current Model: 1990 FJ1200 3CV since 2020
Past Models: 1984 FJ1100 - 2012 to 2020
1979 XS750SF - 2005 to 2012

Jeff0308

How easy is it to get the needles off the speedo / tachometer / fuel gauges. I'm considering a closer investigation. Curiosity is getting to me.