News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

BikeMaster Shout Out

Started by FJ1100mjk, January 05, 2016, 04:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ1100mjk

+1 for BikeMaster! http://www.bikemaster.com

I've had their tire gauge:

for quite a while. Lately, it stopped registering when pressed on the valve stem. I noticed if I backed out the valve stem core until air started to leak slightly and applied the gauge, that it would register the pressure. It acted like it wasn't making full contact with the core. Didn't matter what tire, FJ or car. So...

I contacted BikeMaster and let them know about the gauge. Here's their reply:

"Martin,

We rarely see problems with these so I have a replacement shipping out of or IL warehouse today. Please allow up to 2-3 business days for delivery via UPS Ground.

Thank you for being a BikeMaster Customer!"

Will keep them in mind for future needs.
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

the fan

Tucker Rocky (Bikemaster is a house brand) has always been good to deal with. I have sold/used a lot of their stuff over the years and have rarely had an issue with customer service. IIRC when I was running Holeshot TR was very easy to deal with on warranty claims and returns. In most cases they either had the rep stop by and pick up the stuff/issue a credit or at least covered the shipping.

They do not sell to the general public but the link below shows what they carry.
http://www.tuckerrocky.com/

FJ1100mjk

Got it. Per their word.

Thanks BikeMaster!  :good2:

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

FeralRdr

I'm glad to hear you had a good resolution to your issue with BikeMaster.  I however, have a drastically different view based of their products based upon my most recent experience with two of their products: metal valve stems and a magnetic oil drain plug.  To be fair, I didn't seek a warranty claim, due to the combined price of both items being less than $20.  Also, I figured that with the shoddy quality exhibited by both products, there was no guarantee that I would get anything better.  I therefore chose to chalk it up to experience and write them off as a brand.

What I ordered, were advertised as these:

Upon installing the oil drain plug, I noticed that the black finish had rubbed off its bolt head (see below on right).  What I assumed was a hard coating, was only cheap paint.  When reinstalling the plug during the second oil change (after initial installation), the plug snapped at less than 20 ft-lbs of torque (21 ft-lbs is spec).  Luckily, I was able to get the broken part out of the drain hole by drilling a small hole in the center of it, and then using a torx driver to back it out by hand.

On the metal valve stems, the retaining nuts sit extremely lose on the stems threads.  There is so much play and slop, that when tightening down the nuts by hand, the nut barely catches the threads, before slipping off the them. More specifically it appears that they used too large of a nut for the vale stems.  To be clear, this is happening on both stems.  Further, if you look closely at the valve stems, you'll see that the rubber seal is situated so as to seal the stem from the outside of the rim.  Meaning, you have to be able to put enough torque on the nut to hold the stem in place against the tire's air pressure.  Most other valve stems have the seal situated on the inside of the rim to let the air pressure assist in its sealing.  With these stems, there is no way the nuts can get enough seating on the threads to be able to tighten them.  In fact, there is so much slop in the threads, that the threads can't make enough contact to seriously strip them (they probably would eventually).

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, but offer a heartfelt word of caution on just two of their products.

Again, glad they took care of you MJK.  If the items I had purchased cost a little more, I probably would have contacted them about it.

FJ1100mjk

That's too bad that you got such shoddy products from BikeMaster. My tire gauge was under $20, and it was outside of warranty, but they still made good on its replacement regardless. After the response that I received from them, I wouldn't be surprised that if you contacted them, that they would be helpful. At minimum, I am sure that they would be appreciative to know that they are receiving goods from their suppliers that are inferior, if not downright unsafe. What turned out to be a positive experience for me, took just a short, simple email to them.

One manufacturing company that I worked with, assembled a product from components from multiple outside suppliers. A common practice. Their standard procedure, was to do a First Article Inspection on the first one or X number of parts from an outside supplier. If it/they checked out all right, they opened the pipline, and the same parts would come in after that stock was exhausted without any additional inspections taken. Only if that part became a problem (supplier shipping something inferior) later during assembly, or if, heaven forbid, after the finished product was on the customer's site and running, did the bad part become a known. They were ignorant of it being inferior, as it had slipped through the cracks. Either at the supplier, or through their own quality system.

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

TexasDave

In response to Marty's reply and on a much bigger scale. John Deere tractor subcontracted camshafts for their straight six cylinder smaller tractor according to their specifications. Camshafts were received, inspected and installed in motors before being sold throughout the U.S., Canada and a few made it overseas. After a few months it was noticed the tractors were slightly down on power. Investigation showed the cam lobe for the fuel pump was slightly oversize not allowing the cam for one exhaust valve to fully close as it would ride on the fuel pump lobe. Two man teams were sent to each tractor working 7 days a week until all were fixed. After 2 months and a couple million dollars all the tractors were fixed. The General Manager of John Deere called a meeting of all engineers of the plant at the auditorium. Walking to center stage he said "If you people can't get your shit together heads will roll" and walked out. The engineer who designed the cam was fired. Recounted from my days working for the big green tractor plant.  Dave  
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

PaulG

Quote from: TexasDave on January 08, 2016, 09:29:48 AM
"If you people can't get your shit together heads will roll" and walked out. The engineer who designed the cam was fired....

God I wish they would do that where I work!   :dash2:

1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

racerrad8

Quote from: FeralRdr on January 07, 2016, 09:29:34 PM

Psst...

RPM has an American made, Magnetic Drain Plug

Also these trick 90* valve stems

They do cost more that the items mentioned, but you will be satisfied.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

FeralRdr

Actually Randy, I did check RPM first, but I didn't think that the drain plug would fit my Ninja 1000.  I preferred the aesthetics of the BikeMaster valve stems, and really didn't seriously consider the advantages of the 90° valve stems at the time.  After the failure of the BM valve stems, a friend of mine hooked me up with some stems from NAPA as a thank you for changing the tires on his CBR1000.  I picked up a different magnetic drain plug from Amazon that was made out of steel (you would have been a better deal, but I didn't think to ask if you could get one to fit my bike).

racerrad8

No worries, I don't know if it will fit your Ninja, but I am sure if it didn't, I can order the one that does.

If there is something you, or any other members need, I would be happy to order for you.

Just shoot us an email and we can get it sorted.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM