News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

The Island Classic....

Started by axiom-r, January 10, 2016, 11:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

axiom-r

I am lucky to have had a spectacular trip through Australia in 2008.  Got to see the Gold Coast with working days at the Byron Bay Blues Festival (largest blues festival on the earth) and I spent nearly a week in Melbourne working at the Point Nepean Music Festival... However, I never made it to Phillip Island which I regret to this day.

I am super proud of my long time riding budding Roger Baker, who was drafted onto the American Team for the 2016 Island Classic set to happen January 22-24, 2016. http://islandclassic.com.au/island-classic-home

Roger came out to the Renegade Rally with me last year and met many of the West Coast FJ riders at that time....as well as a certain outspoken Aussie.  If you recall, he tended to make his way to the front...  racer's habit I suppose!

He will ride a tricked out and race prepped 1979 Kawasaki Z1 bored up to 1200cc....  What sort of surprised me is that several FJ1100 and 1200 motored race bikes are in contention at this event....

If any of you Aussies have the chance to see the race or are planning on attending I would love to see your pictures posted up on this thread!  Here is a link with some details about the various teams.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/team-america-island-classic-2016/

Cheers!!

tim
1992 FJ1200 w 2007 R1 Front & Rear

The General

I don`t think I`m breeching a promise of keeping this under my hat cause I`m not mentioning a name. But I can tell you there is a rumour that one of our FJ`s with a six speed gearbox has competed very well in this race. Also rumour that it`s colours were of a different breed due to a generally different sponsor.

I too would love to be there.

We have a fast growing list of members down South that will hopefully give us a direct report.  :drinks:
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

FJools

I will be there as usual, but not tiding as I'll be helping out in the UK team garage where i am sworn to secrecy over the construction of those FJ's.... :biggrin:
And I am not going to comment on the Generals' assumptions.............

This year I will be assisting Keith Higgs with his P&M Kawasaki 1260 again, but you can guarantee I'll be gaining the insight into the FJ bikes from Roger Winfield - team manager.

It is an event not to be missed as its getting seriously competitive these days, now with an Irish team included for this 2016.
Still thinking of something..................

axiom-r

Apparently Roger qualified as the 2nd fastest from Team USA and 22nd on the grid!!!!!   Makes me proud!

Finished Race 1 in 27th overall and 4th fastest from Team USA...  They are 17 hours ahead so Saturday Race 2 is probably underway as I type.....

But what really gets me smiling is this image of Roger wearing an RPM t-shirt while looking over an FJ1200 motored XR69 Harris framed race bike....  From Rog-

Roger Scot Baker: "this ones for Randy! That's me with Jeremy McWilliams and his FJ1200 powered XR69 with my RPM Cycles shirt on!!!"

Here are a few more:

1992 FJ1200 w 2007 R1 Front & Rear

racerrad8

Quote from: axiom-r on January 22, 2016, 08:56:39 PM
But what really gets me smiling is this image of Roger wearing an RPM t-shirt while looking over an FJ1200 motored XR69 Harris framed race bike....  From Rog-

Roger Scot Baker: "this ones for Randy! That's me with Jeremy McWilliams and his FJ1200 powered XR69 with my RPM Cycles shirt on!!!"

Tim,

That is great, he is around the world racing and is wearing the RPM colors.

One common thread I see in photos of people sporting the RPM colors, they are always smiling.

I hope he did well in the finals.

Thanks to Roger for representing and to you Tim for passing it along.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

FJools

Great weekend

you should have said Hi - i was looking after the black Harris Magnum Kawasaki and the TZ350 in garage 25.
The I had to prep it all for glen Richards when the only Non FJ1200 bike in the GB team went sick and he was given the Kwack to score points on.
The only FJ casualty was Ryan Farquhar throwing a rod in qualifying necessitating a 3 hour engine swap in time for race 1!!

A very successful weekend for the team

oldktmdude

Quote from: FJools on January 26, 2016, 03:35:04 PM
Great weekend

you should have said Hi - i was looking after the black Harris Magnum Kawasaki and the TZ350 in garage 25.
The I had to prep it all for glen Richards when the only Non FJ1200 bike in the GB team went sick and he was given the Kwack to score points on.
The only FJ casualty was Ryan Farquhar throwing a rod in qualifying necessitating a 3 hour engine swap in time for race 1!!

A very successful weekend for the team

Pictures coming?
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

FJools

Too busy to take any................................... :empathy2:

racerrad8

Randy - RPM

FJools

Brilliant

one of my heroes, I'll ask him to sign my Came team shirt . :good2:

aussiefj

Quote from: racerrad8 on November 01, 2017, 05:30:11 PM
Colin Edwards will be aboard a FJ powered, US built bike for the 2018 Island Classic.

http://www.motorcycle.com/mini-features/colin-edwards-to-race-australias-international-island-classic.html

http://www.hypercycle.com/news/

Randy - RPM

I will be there for that with a friend coming over from the UK who has always wanted to go to Phillip Island. I'll fess up I bought a Guzzi Eldorado in 2015 but I'm refreshing the FJ for him to ride. Parts ordered from yours truly of course.

John.
"It's a fine, fine line between pleasure and pain" - the late great Chrissy Amphlett & Divinyls. Never truer than when you're pushing hard on the bike. A good song to keep in the back of your mind.

racerrad8

There is going to be another RPM customer running this years Island Classic.

Duncan Coutts from NZ will be there in his FJ power Harris chassis as well. Here are a couple of build photos of Duncan's bike.

If anyone is going, please stop by and tell Duncan hello.

Also, if you get a chance look up Carry from Hypercycle. he is the owner and builder of his FJ powered, Harris chassis ridden by Collin Edwards.

Let them know you are part of the FJowners forum and you know Randy from RPM.

Pictures would be most excellent if you guys do get a chance to stop by and see those guys.

Randy - RPM  

Edit: the photo files are too big, I'll try to get them loaded tomorrow.
Randy - RPM

TexasDave

With a Texan riding a FJ powered bike we stand a good chance of showing the Aussies and Brits how its done.

Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

aussiefj

Quote from: racerrad8 on December 27, 2017, 06:24:05 PM

Duncan Coutts from NZ will be there in his FJ power Harris chassis as well. Here are a couple of build photos of Duncan's bike.

Also, if you get a chance look up Carry from Hypercycle. he is the owner and builder of his FJ powered, Harris chassis ridden by Collin Edwards.

Pictures would be most excellent if you guys do get a chance to stop by and see those guys.

Randy - RPM

I will do my best to catch with them and pass on your mesage and see if I can post some photos for you Randy,

John.
"It's a fine, fine line between pleasure and pain" - the late great Chrissy Amphlett & Divinyls. Never truer than when you're pushing hard on the bike. A good song to keep in the back of your mind.

racerrad8

Quote from: aussiefj on December 28, 2017, 03:20:11 PM
Quote from: racerrad8 on December 27, 2017, 06:24:05 PM

Randy - RPM

I will do my best to catch with them and pass on your mesage and see if I can post some photos for you Randy,

John.

Thanks John, that would be most excellent.

If you get a chance to update the action while you are there that would be really cool too.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM