News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Coil relay mod question

Started by fjman, February 19, 2016, 07:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparky84

Do you think a solid state relay would work better as no moving parts at high rpm rather than a standard Bosch mechanical one

1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

Pat Conlon

I don't know. I like the idea of no moving parts however, I would not consider adding any more solid state components unless I had the Transpo voltage regulator mod done to assure I had stable voltage.
I suspect those tiny circuit do dads don't like voltage spikes.
My old school coil relay (with a plug base) has been doing fine for over 7 years now....I do carry a spare I can plug in. I gotta say, the coil relay mod sure wakes things up.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Sparky84

Thanks, I know where you're coming from Pat  :yes: that's why the question.

This SSR has a pretty big voltage range, to activate 3-32V dc and can switch 40A, 5-60V dc.

So hopefully no voltage spikes will worry it.

But still unsure
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

ribbert

Quote from: Pat Conlon on February 16, 2019, 03:39:11 AM
I don't know. I like the idea of no moving parts however, I would not consider adding any more solid state components unless I had the Transpo voltage regulator mod done to assure I had stable voltage.
My old school coil relay (with a plug base) has been doing fine for over 7 years now....I do carry a spare I can plug in. I gotta say, the coil relay mod sure wakes things up.

That's the very reason I use SSR's, reliability, no moving parts. The FJ has 4 of them, heat and vibration has had no adverse effect on them.

While reliable in use, there does seem to be a higher incidence of duds new off the shelf. In the last few years I've had a few that have not worked straight from the shop. I now test  them before installion.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Tuned forks

Pat, what do you mean about "wakes things up"?

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

FJ_Hooligan

The relay mod provides a full 12 volts to the coils so they get a higher charge and produce a better spark.  This makes the engine start much easier.

I noticed this when I installed Dyna coils.  I don't even hear the starter crank anymore.   The starter button is like an ON switch.  All I have to do is touch it and the motor is instantly running.
DavidR.

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Sparky84

Quote from: ribbert on February 16, 2019, 06:46:41 AM

That's the very reason I use SSR's, reliability, no moving parts. The FJ has 4 of them, heat and vibration has had no adverse effect on them.

While reliable in use, there does seem to be a higher incidence of duds new off the shelf. In the last few years I've had a few that have not worked straight from the shop. I now test  them before installion.

Noel

So when you mean be "not working", that's means I should get a couple of spares to be sure and check them all before use, or put in tool kit for spares on trip.
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

Mike Ramos

Quote from: Sparky84 on February 16, 2019, 04:45:13 AM
Thanks, I know where you're coming from Pat  :yes: that's why the question.

This SSR has a pretty big voltage range, to activate 3-32V dc and can switch 40A, 5-60V dc.

So hopefully no voltage spikes will worry it.

But still unsure

Good evening & good discussion.

When I had my over charge issue some time ago (see "Accolades" post) I had mechanical relays going the ignition coils, head lights, alternator sensor wire & fuel pump (the latter 3 relays were Panasonic).  All of the coils burned out before the components were damaged by the voltage spike.

Leaves one to wonder if using the rated SSR's (or even higher rated mechanical relays) would have allowed the components to be damaged when the voltage spiked. 

As an aside: None the accessory circuits were effected as none were on at the time except the radar detector which (fortunately) has low/high voltage protection built into it.

Ride safe.

Sparky84

So, how do we stop voltage spikes or protect against them?
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

ribbert

Quote from: Mike Ramos on February 17, 2019, 01:06:24 AM

All of the coils burned out before the components were damaged by the voltage spike.

Do you mean relays?
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Quote from: Sparky84 on February 17, 2019, 03:42:06 AM

I have a fuse between the battery and each relay, wouldn't that protect it?

Mike Ramos

Quote from: ribbert on February 17, 2019, 05:45:01 AM
Quote from: Mike Ramos on February 17, 2019, 01:06:24 AM

All of the coils burned out before the components were damaged by the voltage spike.

Do you mean relays?

Yes, the relays burned - thanks for catching that.

Mike Ramos

Quote from: ribbert on February 17, 2019, 06:13:40 AM
Quote from: Sparky84 on February 17, 2019, 03:42:06 AM

I have a fuse between the battery and each relay, wouldn't that protect it?

Excellent question:

You would think so, and each circuit/relay is fused separately, including the main relay going to the fuse block (I have the fuse block located in front of the battery, in the area opened up by eliminating the air box) but the only fuse that eventually did blow, apparently after the damage was done, was the main fuse in the stock fuse block.  No other fuse blew! 

It seems as if fuses protect against shorts, however not so much against voltage spikes.

So as not to interfer with the stock wiring, there is a seperate fuse blocck for the accesories located behaind the dash board glove box window .

I'll be away from a computer until Wednesday & post pictures at that time if there is an interest.

Ride safe!

Motofun

They do make fuses that are "fast blow", don't know how fast is fast but they may work.  On the other hand do you really want to install a device that may shut down the circuit on a repeat basis?
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1