News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

REMOVE that BANNER AD !

Started by Arnie, March 24, 2016, 10:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rktmanfj

Only time it bothers me is when I'm viewing on my mobile... hint, hint.

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

The General

mmmmm......an interesting point and a topic Randy would be viewing with great interest no doubt.

Those of us that have caught up with him in the flesh want to support him and his family. He really is one of us.
(Additional to the service he provides being unquestionably, outstanding).

The sign doesn`t bother me visually at all and in a month or so we`ll be asking "what sign" imho.
.....but there is this residue of thought in the back of my head that relates to the unique "purity" of this site and it is I believe a factor in it`s growth. Conversely a mate has put in a large investment that requires security of return along with our support.

Has this purity been violated or are we just getting aroused? Is the loss of such Virginity just part of the real world?

The answer unfortunately, is in the Maths. While I don`t have access to them it`s important that all factors are present in the calculation. For example, if I was a newcomer I would assume a financial contribution is not required given such advertising. If I am a contributor will I be a minority as a result of the banner?
If the advertising was per the previous status quo would it still grow the RPM business? (A proven formula to date). Does succinct advertising actually work better? (I think so, but my extensive marketing experience is old world today.)

I could be wrong but I think the contributions add up to bugger all!  (....but I will continue to contribute what I can). Great service is the best advertising and the newcomers have to be introduced to it and the established, reminded....but "word of mouth or personal text" is a major, major contributor to profit.

Would that change as a result of a banner being in my face all the time?.....probably not....but there was always a twinge in the back of my head when I knew my baby was no longer a Virgin and that a certain bloke had done it! The more he was in my face, the more I gave him a tough time, despite how much I loved him!. Fortunately, he listened respectfully, produced something extraordinary and the pitter patter of little deeds are now all that do the advertising on his behalf!  They get louder everyday! They keep Growing!....and any reminders of their existence are well and truly in the background, cause they`re demonstrably not necessary. :drinks:
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

fj1289

I think the fact that there are no other advertisements (especially the type that pop up over the content and can't be removed!) for generating revenue to the site that the entity paying for the site has every right to (and should be expected to!) place their banner on the page.  Especially since it is easily scrolled past and doesn't limit your viewing window. 

As I see it there are only two "ads" on this site - the RPM banner and the green "$ Contributor" labels...I'm good with that   :hi:

ribbert

I didn't even realise it was there until this thread.

I don't see it.

How many folks are annoyed by the "Objects many be closer....." warning on exterior car mirrors. If it's there all the time you don't see it after a while, or in my case, it appears not at all until someone pointed it out.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

PaulG

Quote from: ribbert on March 25, 2016, 08:32:33 PM
I didn't even realise it was there until this thread

Phew!  I thought I was the only one losing it!  You mean it hasn't been there the whole time?  I gotta stop huffin' the aerosols.   :wacko1:

Seriously though, I didn't notice any change which reflects the level of importance I put on it.

I think any benefits far outweigh the minimal commercialization this is perceived as....
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

Dads_FJ

Is it just me or did the banner get even bigger?

John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'92 Yamaha TDM850
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'81 Yamaha IT250(H)
'77 Yamaha IT175(D)
'39 BSA WM20

Mark Olson

I have no problem with the simple banner . It stays at the top and dosen't chase you thru the posts.
As mentioned already , it is now easier to click to get to the RPM site.
personaly I donate once a year so we don't have more adds . 
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Arnie

Well, I'll concede.  The numbers have spoken, and I'm outnumbered.
My mistake was thinking that this forum was OURS, for OUR mutual and
shared benefit, paid for by OUR contributions.
I donated to help keep this site from needing ads or a sponsor.
Obviously, I'm wrong (again).

I'll now let this thread die its natural death.

Arnie

4everFJ

Quote from: Arnie on March 26, 2016, 07:42:20 PM
Well, I'll concede.  The numbers have spoken, and I'm outnumbered.
My mistake was thinking that this forum was OURS, for OUR mutual and
shared benefit, paid for by OUR contributions.
I donated to help keep this site from needing ads or a sponsor.
Obviously, I'm wrong (again).

I'll now let this thread die its natural death.

Arnie

Without knowing the numbers, I doubt that contributions can pay for the running costs of the forum.

The ad isn't even from a sponsor, but from the owner. So, he doesn't even get any income from the ad itself.

Compared to other forums around the world, this forum is basically ad free. I have no problem with the owner placing and ad for his own business on top of the pages.

When we start getting blinking/flashing ads with audio in the middle of threads (as on many other forums), then I am with you  :drinks:
1985 - Yamaha FJ1100 36Y
1978 - Yamaha SR500
1983 - Kawasaki GPZ550 (sold)
1977 - Kawasaki Z400 (sold)

Troyskie

Can't help myself, gotta wade into this  :mail1:.

1. FJowners.com is a dot com site, aka a commercial site. If the forum is purely a not for profit site it would be .org. Marsh had the right to sell it and Randy had the right to buy it.

2. Marsh (don't know him personally, only 2nd hand through this site) set it up himself using his own skills and back pocket. He asked for donations to keep it running, we obliged. Given that, Marsh's free time to code (considerable), Pat & other moderators to oversee (again, considerable and I'm assuming unpaid), how cheap it is to host these days, the cost of bundled software to those that know is looooooow, so if 10% donated $10, the site, it would be comfortably break-even (same for 5%).

3. Corporate/business support has made some pretty niche things popular and sustainable (take Cricket, Curling, Fox Watch, Americas Cup examples for a few). Both our FJ's and ourselves are requiring more and rarer parts these days.

To paraphrase Noel & Doug, 'in a month we won't notice it', and 'Didn't really notice it to begin with'.

Arnie, in the spirit of your post, yes I agree, many of us have donated towards a collective benefit of sustaining the intellectual capital allowed by Marsh's creation and our collective input.

In Randy's defence, he's developed a business supporting us (and yes intially the mini car thingys), and he's done a sterling job in doing so.

In summary, whomever is supporting this site, don't fuck it up, and LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY FJ!!!!!!!!!!

Troyskie

Note to Randy, don't forget the backup.... :sarcastic:
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

Firehawk068

I usually don't get a chance to log in every day, so I am not sure when the banner ad at the top showed up?

I personally don't have a problem with it, as it is put there by the (now) owner of the site.
It stays at the top of the page, and doesn't follow you around. and hopefully will remain the only ad that appears in these pages.

Those of us that do business with Randy, already know very well how to find him.
There is however, a whole bunch of folks on here that might not frequent as often or are new to the site, that might not know where to find a source for parts and info that Randy provides.
This merely provides an easy link.

Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

fj johnnie

I am so immune to advertising that I too didn't notice a change.

FJmonkey

The banner colors are to my liking, some Red, some White, a touch of black and no Pink stripe. :bomb:
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

rktmanfj

Quote from: FJmonkey on March 28, 2016, 03:33:58 PM
The banner colors are to my liking, some Red, some White, a touch of black and no Pink stripe. :bomb:

Looks like '89 silver/white/red to me.  :yes:

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

ZOA NOM

Some people have wayyyy TMF time on their hands...
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca