News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Bike mod madness

Started by TexasDave, April 13, 2016, 09:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasDave

I realize that doing mods to our bikes is necessary to make our bikes better. But a lot of these mods could be addressed by the bike manufacturers. Most of the mods in all bike forums are the same for every bike and brand. Here are a few mods on my wish list.

1. Put angled valve stems on all bikes. Straight valve stems were fine over 100 years ago but with large brake rotors its a PIA now days. Some of the newer bikes have these--some don't.

2. Design a seat that better fits our butts. After market seats are one of the most popular mods in all bike forums.

3. Make all controls and contact points at least slightly adjustable. Car manufacturers realized we are not all the same size. Some of the newer bikes have adjustable clutch and brake levers but not many. FINALLY seeing adjustable seat heights on more and more bikes.

4. How about installing a real horn. Something sufficiently loud to alert the cagers to our presence. Most OEM horns are wimpy things put on just to make the bike legal. Louder horn mod is popular on all bike forums.

5.  What the hell happened with passenger pegs? They are now so high the girl looks like she is getting ready for child delivery not a bike ride.

6. Design mirrors that let me see what's behind me. I already know where my shoulders and elbows are. Mirror extensions are another popular mod on all forums.

7. Put cruise control on all bikes classified as touring or sport/touring. Not that hard on newer bikes with throttle by wire. Took Yamaha years to put it on the FJR. Now the FJ09 is their new sport/tourer with no cruise but the Super Tenere has it and its a dual sport bike.

These are all popular mods that could be addressed better by the manufacturers.   

Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

Pat Conlon

Interesting about the angled valve stems, I was reading about the uber fast ZX14 rocket where Kawasaki offset the rib on the rim so the wheel weight could be placed dead center in the middle of the rim and the tire stems are short straight little guys.

It seems that, at the speed those rockets are capable of, Kawasaki was concerned about the offset centrifugal force on the rims and tire stem.
Therefore, no angled stems on that bike.

But for "normal' bikes, I agree with Dave on the angled stems being oem.
I can't count the times the sharp edges of my 320mm Galfer Wave rotors cut me, while filling up my front tire with straight stems.

Angled stems are great. :good2:
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

red

I'd put in a vote for self cancelling turn signals, with the option of turning off that feature, if desired.
If you forget that a turn signal is on, you can make a cage driver think it is okay to pull out,
because he thinks that you are turning.  This mistake can be as serious as it gets.

Hard mounts and wiring for better lighting options would be good, also.

Cheers,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

MOTOMYSZOR

We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About

Pat Conlon

Not sure, ask Randy, others will chime in.
Before RPM carried the angled stems in the correct size, I bought a set off FleaBay and they were too small for the holes in my rims.
:dash2:
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Urban_Legend

I had the angled stems put on with new tyres. much better. Make sure they are put on facing the right way (right side of bike) so you are not trying to navigate around the chain.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

FJmonkey

I got a set of stems (very low profile) from Randy and faced them away from the side stand. That way I am checking/filling air with the bike leaned away from me.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

ken65

Sure takes the pain out of adding some air.

FJmonkey

I have my old set of angle valves (higher profile) for anyone that wants them for the cost of shipping.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

The General

I just carry an angled valve attachment. No probs re balancing cause it goes back in me pocket. They cost ten bucks, fit over the existing valve & attach to the garage tyre hose. takes a couple of seconds and works for any bike. (I can take a pic if need be.)  :good:
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

ribbert

Quote from: TexasDave on April 13, 2016, 09:44:51 AM

I realize that doing mods to our bikes is necessary to make our bikes better. But a lot of these mods could be addressed by the bike manufacturers. Most of the mods in all bike forums are the same for every bike and brand. Here are a few mods on my wish list..........

Dave

Excellent observations Dave.

My favourite is manufacturers persisting with prone riding positions. I believe this is simply a hangover from the old days and it hasn't occurred to anyone that it's no longer practical for 99% of the use most riders give their bikes (maybe the only thing Harley got right)

There are many sports/touring bikes and all the adventure/dual purpose bikes that have adopted the more upright riding position and more relaxed leg angles in recent times but many still needlessly have the rider hunched over and bunched up.
Knees tucked up, narrow handlebars at hip height and no wind protection, why?

And this leads me into my next point, giving us something we don't need - excessive power. I like power and speed as much as the next bloke and age has not diminished this one iota, I often wish the FJ had more grunt at the end of a days riding by which time I'm ringing the neck out of it constantly and looking for more. Fortunately, everything resets the following morning.

OK, you have a bike that does 160kph (100mph) in first gear and accelerates at warp speed from 200 to 300. So, you make your youtube clip, then what do you do. Those sort of speeds in most countries these days have serious consequences.

In Australia for example, any speed in excess of 30kph over a posted limit will get your bike impounded and a minimum 6 mth loss of licence and about $1500 in fines and tow truck/impounding fees.

Go fast enough in the wrong spot and you could even end up in jail, it's happened.

I realise not everywhere is that harsh but I still think your going to be in a lot of trouble doing 300kph.

Give me a hot (or even a standard) MX5 (Miata) over a Ferrari on a mountain road any day, a 600 sports bike where you get to use most of the gears, all of the tacho and full throttle is way more fun than an R1 in the twisties.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I reckon this blokes having more fun in his Fiat 500 than the guys in the works rally cars.
The smile at the end says it all.

https://youtu.be/YdBuwzRAEAw

Dave, I agree with all the points you make and could add some, but the fact is, motorbikes are toys and generally don't do many miles. You rarely see an FJ advertised with more than 100,000 mls on it, even the early ones. Try finding a car of similar vintage with so "few" miles on it.

As you say, manufacturers are finally catching on with adjustable seat and peg height, engine modes, on the fly suspension adjustment, cruise control as standard, panniers and a handful even offer colour choice.

The importance of such adjustability and options depends how and how much you ride. A quick fang up and down the mountains for an hour or two, it's probably not that important, riding all day and multi day trips as I like to do, it probably matters more.

I just got back last week from another trip and had the chance to ride a current model Ducati Monster 1200s, a one week old BMW R1200RT (my dream bike) and a Triumph Tiger. The Ducati is about as much fun as you can have going up (and down) a mountain but after 2700km and some very fast sustained speed sections, I would think he would be glad to finally park it back in the garage.

All good points Dave, you have put the manufacturers on notice. I don't suspect though they are worried or madly re designing next years models based on your post. :biggrin:

It just needs one of them to take the lead, look what happened when BMW came up with the GS and the public liked it, every one else made one.

A standard feature I would like to see (BMW RT has it) is an intergrated spot for a GPS in the instrument cluster. The BM has provision to snap a Garmin 660 into the instrument face which then connects it to all the bike data. It also has a multi function screen and idrive type scroll wheel similar to what has become standard in cars.
It also has keyless ignition. Walk away from the bike and the panniers, top box, ignition and alarm all lock automatically, proper cruise control, ipod connectivity, heated height adjustable seats and grips........ and you can throw it around it the twisties with far greater ease than the FJ.

Yep, I'm gonna get me one of them thar fancy bikes.

Noel

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

red

Quote from: ribbert on April 14, 2016, 09:18:36 AMOK, you have a bike that does 160kph (100mph) in first gear and accelerates at warp speed from 200 to 300. So, you make your youtube clip, then what do you do.
Noel
Noel

Well, if you would settle for 200+ mph (really), it only has one gear, no clutch or transmission, and owns
the Bonneville Land Speed Record for production bikes.  It also won Pikes Peak, against all other bikes. 
They call it the Lightning LS-218.

http://lightningmotorcycle.com/
   :yahoo:      :yahoo:      :yahoo:   
Cheers,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

ribbert

Quote from: red on April 14, 2016, 10:09:58 AM
Quote from: ribbert on April 14, 2016, 09:18:36 AMOK, you have a bike that does 160kph (100mph) in first gear and accelerates at warp speed from 200 to 300. So, you make your youtube clip, then what do you do.
Noel
Noel

Well, if you would settle for 200+ mph (really), it only has one gear, no clutch or transmission, and owns
the Bonneville Land Speed Record for production bikes.  It also won Pikes Peak, against all other bikes.  
They call it the Lightning LS-218.

http://lightningmotorcycle.com/
  :yahoo:      :yahoo:      :yahoo:  
Cheers,
Red

I sat on this thing at the weekend, about as near as you'd get to a test ride without plonking down the full price.

334 hp/214nm's of torque - NO fairing.

I don't believe it has heated seats or a stereo but it probably should come with a body harness and tether.

This is how we build bikes in Oz!

I would make an exception in this case but have a small problem with the $180,000 price tag.

Noel

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

The General

I love that Rally clip Noel, I`d say it`s the most enjoyable I`ve seen!

Good point re capacity. When I ask my mates to ponder the most real fun that produced ear ta ear grins while riding a motorcycle, all stories relate to smaller machines.

Don`t think I`ll ever be up to the Cravat & designer apparel of tha Europeans, nor tha wannabe`s like yourself,  but I have got a standard cup holder along with a stabilised platform to hold the Macca`s double cupholders!.....but ta really be in front of the Yank bikes I`m in the process of manufacturing a holder for my latest pump action 22. The pistols my grandson destroyed were great for one hand operation, but the pump action requires a pivotal base for clutch hand firing. (Luckily there`s no concealment regulations where I live and ta be fair to my victims, it gives them a chance to run!)

Really good points there Dave.   :drinks:
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

MOTOMYSZOR

Quote from: ribbert on April 14, 2016, 09:18:36 AM
[.....]
I don't know about the rest of you, but I reckon this blokes having more fun in his Fiat 500 than the guys in the works rally cars.
The smile at the end says it all.

https://youtu.be/YdBuwzRAEAw

This "race car" is not fiat 500.
On that clip You can see Fiat 126p with 650ccm engine and 25-30 horsepower. Really skillful mechanic could squeeze out from this engine 75-90 HP.

And top speed was totally depend on wind strength and direction....  :biggrin:

We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About