News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Old ride for an old man

Started by Alte Fahrt, April 15, 2016, 08:18:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alte Fahrt

Todays tidbit.

Here in Europe there is an age structure that determines what you can ride.

16 = moped
17 = 125cc
18 = 400cc
21 = 660cc
25 = unlimited

In hindsight I believe this is a good system.

I have a 15 year old son that loves to ride on the back. I even installed a small top box to keep him from sliding off the back.

Last Thursday I picked him up from soccer practice in the next town over. When I pulled in the driveway he got off and I shut down the bike. When I took off my helmet he asked me "How fast were we going?" I told him "about 80 (50 mph)" He then asked "how fast will the bike go?" I answered "about 240 (150 mph)" He thought about it a little and then asked if he could get a license for it at 25. I answered "Yes". He then asked "If I get a license for this can I have it?" I thought when he is 25 I'll be 72 and answered "Yes".

He has already learned the 2 rules I was taught as a young man.
Stay afraid of it and you will stay alive on it.
Always assume that nobody sees you.

The term crotch rocket was used to describe these superbikes in their day. For those of that don't know, it was that riding one of these was like in a Roadrunner cartoon when Wyle E. Coyote would climb on an ACME rocket to chase the Roadrunner. :bye:
There are bold riders.
There are old riders.
There are no old bold riders.

rlucas

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.... :good2:

We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)

PaulG

Quote from: Alte Fahrt on April 17, 2016, 02:54:59 AM
Here in Europe there is an age structure that determines what you can ride.

16 = moped
17 = 125cc
18 = 400cc
21 = 660cc
25 = unlimited

In hindsight I believe this is a good system.

I don't know why we have never installed that system here.  If we had, I probably wouldn't have the chronic pain from injuries I had nearly 30 yrs ago. :blush: 

The only recent thing that has changed was the two stage graduated liscense system for cars and bikes in Ontario.  But you can still get a Hayabusa as soon as you turn 16 and plaster yourself all over the road.  Never made sense to me.
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

balky1

Nice story AlteFahrt.

Should you ever come to Rovinj, Croatia, give me a notice. I am some 35 years younger than you, but the FJ is a common topic.  :hi:

Ivan

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

Country Joe

Quote from: rlucas on April 17, 2016, 05:56:12 AM

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.... :good2:

And a bunch of us are living proof of that :sarcastic:
1993 FJ 1200