News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

clutch

Started by BullAnt, April 17, 2016, 07:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BullAnt

hi, changed my clutch in my fj 1200 it seems to be a bit hard to find N when i stop i do rock it back & forth but have to get off and do it by hand need help please.

ribbert

Quote from: BullAnt on April 17, 2016, 07:41:20 AM
hi, changed my clutch in my fj 1200 it seems to be a bit hard to find N when i stop i do rock it back & forth but have to get off and do it by hand need help please.

The first and most obvious suggestion would be to make sure it's bled properly. A lot of folks have difficulty with this.

If that's not it, then we can look a little deeper.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

FJmonkey

How long ago did you change out the clutch?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

racerrad8

Depending on the year, you need to check for wear at the clutch lever.

On Frank's 84 last fall we upgraded the clutch and then he had trouble with clutch disengagement. The tip of the clutch handle was found to be worn away excessively. He added a small screw and the head of the screw took up the worn area.

I have had several 86+ bikes come in with the same problem. I have found the brass clutch lever bushing worn, the lever itself worn egg shaped and one the piston plunger had worn completely thorough the brass into the aluminum.

That is why I now stock the Yamaha clutch lever and brass pivot.

Yamaha Clutch Lever
Clutch Lever Pivot

I also stock an aftermarket clutch lever for a cheaper alternative.

'86-'93 OE Style Clutch Handle

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

BullAnt

Thanks, all its a 89 mod,and its done 95,000 its the first time i have done this,i took it for a run dose go good but when i stop i have to go 2nd and in to N not 1st N like befor ,  i have bled the clutch i was thinking it mite need to be run in thanks.

racerrad8

Quote from: racerrad8 on April 17, 2016, 11:07:23 AM
I have had several 86+ bikes come in with the same problem. I have found the brass clutch lever bushing worn, the lever itself worn egg shaped and one the piston plunger had worn completely thorough the brass into the aluminum.

That is why I now stock the Yamaha clutch lever and brass pivot.

Yamaha Clutch Lever
Clutch Lever Pivot

I also stock an aftermarket clutch lever for a cheaper alternative.

'86-'93 OE Style Clutch Handle

Randy - RPM

Here is the photo of Ben's that he posted the other day.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM