News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Broken Side Mirror Fixed (mini project)

Started by Tekime, May 28, 2016, 01:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tekime

Hey folks,

I picked up an '89 FJ1200 with a broken left side mirror. The arm was snapped off right above the mount, but I still had all the parts in fair shape.

OEM replacement mirrors are expensive (like $150 for an original unless you luck out). Instead of going aftermarket, I had an idea.

The fix was fairly simple, and so far it is actually holding up great (~150 miles on rough Maine roads, highway speeds, etc)

Tools/materials:

• 1/16 drill bit (cobalt or comparable recommended)
  • JB Weld
  • Stainless steel safety wire, 0.032"
  • Dremel/cutoff wheel
  • 2 x 1/16" nails for pinning
  • Drill, pliers (wire pliers are useful but not necessary), gloves/safety goggles

Missing Mirror:

As you can see, snapped off right about the mount:

I drilled two 1/16" holes directly into the arm. Dremeled two nails into ~ 1.5" lengths and fitted them in the holes I just made. Then carefully/slowly drilled matching holes in the base piece so that when the two pieces are joined and mated they line up perfectly. This took some patience, I used a tiny dab of anti-sieze on holes to mark the mated piece for a guide.

Before joining the two pieces, had to make sure to put the rubber boot on first! Could probably squeeze this over after, but it made the job easier. Once the holes and pins were done, I mixed up some JB Weld and filled the holes on both sides, coated both pins, and coated the mating surface on each piece. Once joined cleanly, I smoothed out some of the JB Weld around the "seam" between the two pieces - side note, the seam/depression in the pics was already present, presumably this was the weak point where the arm snapped. I then pressed them together and secured them for 24 hours. Due to the odd shape, I used duct tape in small strips to "clamp" the pieces together, then secured in my vice. Next day it looked like this:

At this point, it felt pretty solid, but I didn't trust it 100%. Wind/vibration/etc are going to put a LOT of force on that arm, focused right where the join was made. So I decided to safety wire it for further strength as well as to secure it to the bike in case it did snap, so I would have a mirror go flying into someone's car or my face. I made two 1/16" holes running diagonally at the corner on either side of the "weld":

Ran some safety wire through, tightened it up:

Folded the safety wire down into the groove and just put a few small strips of duct tape over it to keep it from damaging the boot. Then side the boot down and it more or less covers up the backyard job:

Annd... back on the bike!

Can't even tell this was once broken. After some pretty hard riding it is holding up great. Time will tell, but I'm pretty happy, super easy project and saved my OEM mirror! Even if it does fail, the safety wire will keep it secure and I can either get aftermarkets or consider using bigger pins/nails.

Looking back, if my wife hadn't wrecked my bigger cobalt bits in her metal class, I would have gone a bit larger with the pins. But, since the break was so far down, I don't think it would have made a huge difference as the join is only going to be as strong as its weakest point.

Anyway, this is a small thing, but maybe someone will find it useful someday? Just thought I'd share.

Best,
Gabe

FJmonkey

I love this post Gabe, great fix to keep it looking original. A good example of MacGyvering.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Tekime

Quote from: FJmonkey on May 28, 2016, 01:56:05 PM
I love this post Gabe, great fix to keep it looking original. A good example of MacGyvering.

Thanks! Yep, total MacGyver job, even used duct tape.  :rofl:

Mark Olson

hang your helmet on it .. thats the stress test.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Tekime

Quote from: Mark Olson on May 28, 2016, 06:08:27 PM
hang your helmet on it .. thats the stress test.

Good idea. I actually took a few whacks at it with a rubber mallet, held it by the end and shook the life out of it before mounting it up on the bike. Figured the real test would be using it.

Which leads to a small update..

After a few days of riding and a few tanks of gas, the JB Weld appears to be failing. Not surprised - I've honestly never had great luck with the stuff. The pins & safety wire are still holding fast, but it has developed a bit of wiggle as the JB is cracking. Aside from a real weld I don't think any adhesive is going to hold up if there is any play there. I'm pulled the mirror and I'm going to use larger pins - something that has to be tapped in, so it's completely snug without any JB involved. We'll see how that goes!

Mark Olson

I have been where you are at. I have tried the jb, then pins, and even arc welding ...
the best fix was a single stud threaded into both sides ....used a 1/4 inch course thread with a locking washer between and a hose clamp out side for stability. The vibration is the enemy and mirror was useless after 60 mph.

Many of us have found the honda cbr mirrors a suitable replacement for stock.  I was able to purchase a new pair from the dealer for 65.00 .
they are even a little wider so you can see behind you.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

Tekime

Thought about a hose clamp too, but only had a 3" and that was a bit big :D

What went wrong with the arc weld?

Thanks, several have recommended those CBR mirrors now so if my next "fix" doesn't hold I'll go that route.

Mark Olson

Quote from: Tekime on May 29, 2016, 10:11:15 PM
Thought about a hose clamp too, but only had a 3" and that was a bit big :D

What went wrong with the arc weld?

Thanks, several have recommended those CBR mirrors now so if my next "fix" doesn't hold I'll go that route.

arc weld snapped ,,,... helmet too heavy for it.  :blush:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

FJmonkey

My second hand mirrors for my '86 had one side welded, Must have been done properly, No failures in 10+ years of service. Sold/gave them away and now have CBRish mirrors. Better view.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Mark Olson

Quote from: FJmonkey on May 30, 2016, 09:26:13 PM
My second hand mirrors for my '86 had one side welded, Must have been done properly, No failures in 10+ years of service. Sold/gave them away and now have CBRish mirrors. Better view.

Well , when a buddy welds them for free .....thats what ya get.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.