News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

FJ's oil disappear

Started by aj52, May 30, 2016, 10:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aj52

Hallo guys

I am dumb struck with my FJ.

The oil disappears between services. The bike isn't smoking,no oil leaks,no oil in airbox.
It is using 500ml on about 800km.

Any ideas for what can be wrong. It has 112 000km on clock
I am running it on Castrol Actevo.
With Shell products it is the same.

Thanks in advance

Hannes

Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

balky1

Quote from: aj52 on May 30, 2016, 10:26:42 AM
Hallo guys

I am dumb struck with my FJ.

The oil disappears between services. The bike isn't smoking,no oil leaks,no oil in airbox.
It is using 500ml on about 800km.

Any ideas for what can be wrong. It has 112 000km on clock
I am running it on Castrol Actevo.
With Shell products it is the same.

Thanks in advance

Hannes

Well, it simply can't just disappear. If it is not leaking, it is burning in your cylinders. My Kawasaki also burned oil without smoking. It just happens. You are probably due for head and piston rings rebuild. Don't be surprised if you see bad cylinder walls also when you open it. Then honing and new pisons are in order.

Ivan

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

aj52

Thanks Ivan

That is what I thought could be wrong,just was not sure.
I was wondering if there was something else that I am missing
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

FJmonkey

My '89 is also using oil but not dripping it out. Maybe I will do a compression check next time I at RPM.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

mr blackstock

G day,
I had similar oil consumption, no leaks, no smoke out the pipes. Check if your exhaust is black, your valve guides might be worn. Mine were knackered, engine had 250.000 on the clock.

Cheers, Gareth
Squeaky wheels always get the grease...

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

balky1

I guess the number of km you start to experience this depends a lot on the way you or previous owner(s) took care of the bike. Better the say the way it was misused. My old GPz 550 had only 50k km and consumed a lot of oil.  :biggrin: What can you do, that's simply how it is. When you now fix it you'll be fine for the next 100-200k km. Maybe would be good idea when you are down into it and if your budget allows it to change the piston rings (even if compression is OK) and timing chain.

Ivan

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

Alf

Change oil. Use any more basic mineral 20-50w API SG oil. The Actaevo is too thin for the wide air-cooled engine tolerances

And to refresh the valve guide oil seals, use Berner oil sealant with the next oil change

Cheers

aj52

Thanks guys for your replies.
I've tried thicker oil,but then she struggles to start in mornings. Not want to even mention it when she sleeps outside with rallies or sleepovers,then so needs to be jumpstart.
With the Acteveo I don't have that problem.
With thicker she still burn the oil,so will check head,redone it and replace everything.

Thanks again guys
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200