News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Picking up a motor less 86 1200

Started by a.graham52, June 11, 2016, 09:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a.graham52

Found it on craigslist. Has a Corbin seat and some other goodies for like 200 bucks. No motor, was pulled for use in a legend car. 6 hours on the road for me tomorrow.

a.graham52

Got it home. I was told it has '92 forks with R1 brakes front and rear. The front calipers do look different but the rear idk. What's the advantage of 92 forks if any? I see they don't have anti-dive like my 86 does so that's a plus right?

Also got to exhaust systems with it. One super trap and one system that does not have a label. The no-name one appears to be generally smaller(primarys, collector, muffler diameter). Maybe it's from an 1100?

Also a box full of parts I assume are 92 parts. I found a fuel pump and a bunch of misc parts like handle bars controls.

weymouth399

Eric just gave you all his parts, he's been wanting me to get it all from him but I got to much 86 stuff right now. If you need anything else let me k ow I'm in mid coast.

Bob w
84 FJ 1100
86 FJ1200
89 FJ1200
5  FJ POWERED race cars
76 LB80 Chappy
93 KX500 ice for sale
00 KX500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt for sale
04 KX500 ice
08 KLX450 ice/road
72 CT90x2 for sale

a.graham52

Quote from: weymouth399 on June 12, 2016, 02:48:02 PM
Eric just gave you all his parts, he's been wanting me to get it all from him but I got to much 86 stuff right now. If you need anything else let me k ow I'm in mid coast.

Bob w

To be more specific, the people I bought it off had it just long enough to pull the motor. Originally it was in Vermont. Then it went to mass. Now iv got it

Mark Olson

Good score  :good2:

Everybody needs a parts bike for bits and pieces.
The brakes are gold dots in the front but the rear is stock .
I would transplant the whole front setup onto the 86. Better forks without the lame ant-dive , 17 inch front wheel , bigger rotors with better calipers, looks like braided brake lines.

check inside the forks for emulators and better springs.. are those stock masters for clutch and brake or fjr ones?
with all the goodies the parts bike has , you just saved a ton of money on upgrades.

The no name exhaust look like the Vance&Hines ss2 pipe ..  :mail1:

oh and check the front wheel for the size .. 92 fj is 3" and the FZR 1000 is 3 1/2" ... with the 17" front installed you will notice how much better your handling is and it will stop the fj from standing up when braking. 
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

weymouth399

Ya I know, the only reason Eric knew to buy a bike motor is because we're friends and I rep a stk bike motor pretty well compared to the the built 1200 or 1250. Come to louden this weekend and you'll see his #16 34 ford sedan race, and 18 others.

Bob w
84 FJ 1100
86 FJ1200
89 FJ1200
5  FJ POWERED race cars
76 LB80 Chappy
93 KX500 ice for sale
00 KX500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt for sale
04 KX500 ice
08 KLX450 ice/road
72 CT90x2 for sale

Tekime

Lucky find! I emailed about that exact bike asking for pics, said they would send them but never heard back.  :unknown:

Glad they are in good hands  :drinks:

weymouth399

For the Maine and ne owners I have plenty of Fj parts & bikes. I've been parting fjs for 19 yrs and got plenty of basic stuff. Not much got good plastic parts but got some. I buy bikes all the time so keep asking I'll get it at some point. If you have needs ask and I'll look when I'm fishing for bikes.

Bob w
84 FJ 1100
86 FJ1200
89 FJ1200
5  FJ POWERED race cars
76 LB80 Chappy
93 KX500 ice for sale
00 KX500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt for sale
04 KX500 ice
08 KLX450 ice/road
72 CT90x2 for sale

a.graham52

So me and a buddy swapped front ends last night. Took about an hour with a bit of dicking around. The brakes are awesome. Hard as a rock in a good way. The suspension, I'd if it's been modified or just better because of less miles but the bike sits higher and rides well. I may swap over the rear suspension as well as visually it looks in better shape.

Mark Olson

Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Tekime

Quote from: weymouth399 on June 13, 2016, 07:09:19 AM
For the Maine and ne owners I have plenty of Fj parts & bikes. I've been parting fjs for 19 yrs and got plenty of basic stuff. Not much got good plastic parts but got some. I buy bikes all the time so keep asking I'll get it at some point. If you have needs ask and I'll look when I'm fishing for bikes.

Bob w

Real nice gesture Bob!

Glad most of my parts are working now :) Might look at some suspension/wheel/brake upgrades eventually.

That RPM 4-2-1 exhaust has me drooling, mostly for weight reduction, but almost as much $$$ as the bike cost!!

a.graham52

LooKS like the parts bike saved me more money. Found vibranators in the handlebars. Learned about them this weekend and almost committed to a pair. Sorry randy

a.graham52

Couple questions:

IF the forks have rpm valves installed, will the dampener adjustment still have detents if turned? The bike rides harder then I care for. Has a smidgen of a bounce when sharp bumps are hit. I turned the adjustment down but didn't notice much of a difference.

Also I noticed my thread got moved to the project write ups. This bike is not a project and is only a donor for my bike. More of a "hey look what I got" and that's why I originally posted in general discussion

Tuneforkfreak

Did you get them bar ends installed? If so how did they work? I'll be interested to hear a reply on the forks . Ive been working on adjusting my stock set up, it don't have much adjustment so the choices are easy to choose from.
Yamahas from my past,
IT465, IT200, YZ80. 350Warrior, Kodiak400, Kodiak450,
Various others include
XR600, KX500, KDX200, ATC250R, ATC350X, ATC 200S
Currently ride
FJ 1200 , DRZ400, Yamaha Viking, Suzuki Samurai dirt mobile

a.graham52

Quote from: Tuneforkfreak on July 07, 2016, 08:14:16 PM
Did you get them bar ends installed? If so how did they work? I'll be interested to hear a reply on the forks . Ive been working on adjusting my stock set up, it don't have much adjustment so the choices are easy to choose from.

They made a difference for sure and I was able to ride longer and stronger with them. but did not cure every last vibe. I think my exhaust is inducing some vibe.