News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

FJ rallies in the north east?

Started by Travis398, February 26, 2010, 07:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

for the north east FJ rally i want to

ride on the coast
0 (0%)
ride in the mountains
3 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

markmartin

Quote from: Travis398 on March 02, 2010, 03:21:38 PM

so how many miles or hours does anyone want to ride in a day?

200?
300?
400? :hang1: :hang1:

I'm already in Maine, so I sure can't throw out a low number ...or a high number.  Input from the Rally experienced?

SlowOldGuy

Usually depends on the "twistiness" of the roads.

In Boone, 250 miles is a full day due to the high density of twisties and the lower average speed.

In Texas, we have to do 200 miles in 3 hours just to get to the twisties.  :-(

DavidR.

Travis398

assuming people would want to do a coastal ride and a mountain ride ie acadia and the Kancamagus highway. the middle point would be somewhere between Gardiner and Auburn. that would mean a trip to kancamagus highway, and up 93 (which looks like a very cool ride) would take about 6 hours round trip, unless i started driving like i did 20 years ago.

i think that is about the limit of what i would be able to sit on my bike for one day, if we wanted to climb mount washington (another great idea) we would probably have to start a little more west to make up the extra time, or visit the coast a little more south. where it is closer.

it's cool if everyone wanted to do an 8 or 10 hour ride but i might have to take a short cut and give my butt a rest. ( and start drinking beers without you)

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Marsh White

Quote from: Travis398 on March 02, 2010, 03:21:38 PM
:good2:see i knew you guys were just looking for an excuse to go ride. 
so how many miles or hours does anyone want to ride in a day?

200?
300?
400? :hang1: :hang1:

At the West Coast Rallies we find that 170 - 200 ish miles is about a perfect day.

carsick

Well I just posted this and it disappeared, let's try again. Things are gathering momentum, Very cool! I think I could handle about 6 hours a day, whatever mileage that racks up depending on the route. Any more and I'll need bar risers and a new seat (for the bike, not me.) I haven't logged any long hauls on the FJ, good excuse to practice. Anybody up for prerunning the area in April/May??
Doug

weymouth399

I am, Travis and I were going to do some preruns to check time and miles. The more FJs the better
Bob W.
84 FJ 1100
86 FJ1200
89 FJ1200
5  FJ POWERED race cars
76 LB80 Chappy
93 KX500 ice for sale
00 KX500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt for sale
04 KX500 ice
08 KLX450 ice/road
72 CT90x2 for sale

Travis398

Quote from: carsick on March 02, 2010, 09:08:04 PM
Well I just posted this and it disappeared, let's try again. Things are gathering momentum, Very cool! I think I could handle about 6 hours a day, whatever mileage that racks up depending on the route. Any more and I'll need bar risers and a new seat (for the bike, not me.) I haven't logged any long hauls on the FJ, good excuse to practice. Anybody up for prerunning the area in April/May??
Doug

i am so glad you posted this, i wanted to say this but thought i might get ribbed for being a wussy.

Whaaaaa, my elbows hurt
Whaaaaa, my back is locking up
Whaaaaa, my butt is sore.

well i don't have the bar risers either and after a few hours i find myself ready for a break.   
a six hour ride might not be too bad if you have a couple scenic stops, lunch, fuel stops and bathrooms breaks.
that would probably be closer to an 8 hour day by the time it is over with.

i noticed the local guys are jones-ing for a ride and spring fever is starting to sweep through so i started a new thread
"North East day rides" in the "Join me for a ride section". this way we can keep all the local talk over there and keep the rally talk here.

i have a few other pretty good ideas for the rally but i want to let this thing grow and see what the FJ community is interested in doing

like some of that BBQ-Lobster. 

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

captaudi

Hey guys,

New guy and a lurker here. I am down outside of Worcester MA. I would love a Maine rally, getting down south is a little hard with 2 young kids. My folks are in Harpswell outside of Brunswick on the coast. I can help with a coastal route if needed, I can also provide mechanical help if needed during the rally.

Also looking for other riders for the occasional blast on a weekend.

Dan

93 FJ1200
93 FJ1200 FZR1000 wheels, Vance and Hines SS2R, Hank Scott jets R1 Monoblocks. Cartridge forks in the works.

1985 RZ350 couple mods

racerman_27410

Quote from: Travis398 on March 03, 2010, 03:33:23 PM

i am so glad you posted this, i wanted to say this but thought i might get ribbed for being a wussy.

Whaaaaa, my elbows hurt
Whaaaaa, my back is locking up
Whaaaaa, my butt is sore.

well i don't have the bar risers either and after a few hours i find myself ready for a break.   
a six hour ride might not be too bad if you have a couple scenic stops, lunch, fuel stops and bathrooms breaks.
that would probably be closer to an 8 hour day by the time it is over with.

i have a few other pretty good ideas for the rally but i want to let this thing grow and see what the FJ community is interested in doing

like some of that BBQ-Lobster. 

Now we're talkin'...... mmmmmmm BBQ lobster.... is there even such a thing ?

a 6 hour rally riding day day is usually about 8 hours ( or more).... we like to take scenic breaks and sit down lunches if we know the routes /times. You guys that live up there are gonna have to do some route "legwork"...... don't worry it's not really work as long as you're on your FJ's   :good2:

KOokaloo!

carsick

Hey Dan (captaudi),
Welcome to the group! Nice to hear another local(ish) voice. This is a fun place to be, lots of helpful folks.  How's the riding weather down there?

captaudi

The weather down here has been crap, small amount of snow almost every morning and cold. I have not had the FJ out since the end of november :mad:. I am hoping for a couple of good rides this spring, riding season is almost upon us. I no longer need headlights all the way to and from work.

Looking forward to a ride up in Maine, let me know if I can help

Dan
93 FJ1200 FZR1000 wheels, Vance and Hines SS2R, Hank Scott jets R1 Monoblocks. Cartridge forks in the works.

1985 RZ350 couple mods

weymouth399

Welcome Dan
  thats my part of the state. Topsham right next to Brunswick my shop is 100 yards from I295 stop by some time
Bob
84 FJ 1100
86 FJ1200
89 FJ1200
5  FJ POWERED race cars
76 LB80 Chappy
93 KX500 ice for sale
00 KX500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt for sale
04 KX500 ice
08 KLX450 ice/road
72 CT90x2 for sale

captaudi

Hey Bob,

What kind of shop. I am a 20 year german car tech, 16 with Audi at the dealer. I am usually in Harpswell about every 2 months some my folks can see the kids. Unfortunately in the the family truckster. Love to hook up with other FJ owners. I have had mine for 5 years, bought it with 6k miles and now I have 54k.

Dan

1985 RZ350 couple mods

weymouth399

Hi Dan
  I sell utility trailers, mostly enclosed. The shop looks less like a trailer repair shop, more like a BIG toy box right now.  Just getting back in to the street thing.
  Bob
84 FJ 1100
86 FJ1200
89 FJ1200
5  FJ POWERED race cars
76 LB80 Chappy
93 KX500 ice for sale
00 KX500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt for sale
04 KX500 ice
08 KLX450 ice/road
72 CT90x2 for sale

racerman_27410

it's always good to know a little bit about places you might visit......

Maine Man Song