News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Tire Replacement

Started by gdssmith1964, June 26, 2016, 11:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdssmith1964

I need to replace both tires on my 1991 FJ and have been unable to find any that resemble the stock units. I can find tires of the same size, but not in the same model. Any suggestions? Thanks!

racerrad8

Avon Storm 3D X-M Radials

The last two sets I purchased just this past month came from eBay vendors as they were cheaper than most online vendors.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

red

Quote from: gdssmith1964 on June 26, 2016, 11:36:52 AMI need to replace both tires on my 1991 FJ and have been unable to find any that resemble the stock units. I can find tires of the same size, but not in the same model. Any suggestions? Thanks!
gdssmith,

The tires that came on my FJ had a lot of tread left, but they were absolutely terrible.  I had no confidence is turning hard or stopping fast.  I got a pair of new Pirellis, and it was like getting a whole new bike.  List the tire sizes that you need (I could look it up maybe, but don't wait for me), and people here can probably give you some good suggestions for the '91 FJ.  Tire technology changes fast, and what was okay a few years ago may be barely acceptable today.  There is a very good reason why you can not find your old tire models now.

Cheers,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Tekime

I recently switched to BT-45's on my '89 FJ1200 and very happy so far. Fairly aggressive riding but not too crazy - I'll have them on the track next month so we'll see.

Posted about it here (some other great options/preferences from other members too): http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=15692.0

For $277 at RevZilla they are an economical choice, depending on your budget/riding style something else might suit better.

Just running stock '89 wheels here so 120/70-17 and 150/80B16

airheadPete

On my '92, I like my Pirelli sport demons, FWIW.  :good2:
'92 FJ1200.    '84 R100CS
'78 GS750E.   '81 R100RS
'76 R90/6       '89 R100GS
'65 R60/2