News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Handlebar upgrade.

Started by Jeff0308, June 27, 2016, 03:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasDave

Quote from: markmartin on June 29, 2016, 11:51:16 AM
You might want to consider a 20mm drop instead of the 40 mm drop that are pictured on the site you linked. I'm no peg dragger, but occasionally drag my boots with the 20mm drop foot pegs I installed .  Also, at 20mm of drop, I'm limited out on how low I could get the shifter be and still operate--maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I think a 40mm drop would leave the shifter way high..

As Fred mentioned, there is an issue with the side stand when in riding position. I had to weld a 1/8"  spot on the kickstand stop to limit it's position from fully 'up'.

With all that said, the lower footpegs are very comfortable and an upgrade for my old knees and hips.
I have the Buell pegs along with other members here. You do get a one inch drop and this is about all the shifter will adjust as Mark said. With Freds 23mm pegs you get the drop and some forward movement also. This looks like a good set up to me.  Dave   
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

Jeff0308

I took the accelerator cables in today to get lengthened. The guy whose doing them looked at them and asked what bike they are off. I told him. He said he just sold 2 fj1100s recently. To costly to keep only riding occasionally. Told him about club rego. He's annoyed now. Said he never knew about it.  I made life a bit more difficult for myself by removing them from the Carbis. Should have taken them off at the joiner. Was going to replace all of them but the guy who is doing them said they are perfect, why change them. The only piece that caused grief was the pull cable where the threaded bolt meets the cable housing. It broke off. So I managed to thread a nut on the plastic and glued it on and threaded the screw part back in and glued that to. It might have been the cause for the sticky throttle. Didn't see it til I pulled it apart.  Also took the new handlebar top clamp in to get powder coated. Was only 2 doors down from cable place. Doing it cheap to. Best. So now it's the waiting waiting waiting game. Fingers and toes crossed this works

Jeff0308

Noel.
Can't help but stop, read and look at the comments and photos you posted of the BMW.
Still tempting.

Jeff0308

Got all the cables and clamps back today. Now it's time to play.
Hopefully I can get it done without interruption. Anxious moments await.

Jeff0308

This is the new top clamp I'm using. Had it powder coated and i replaced the ABM manufacturers decal with a more suitable one. It was back together until I went to bleed the clutch and brake. No pressure in the levers at all. Heard a pop sound from the clutch when I went to pull the lever gently. Brake got no feel at all. I pulled the clutch mastercylinders off and was going to disassemble it, clean and put back together as it was perfect prior to this. I started to pull the clutch mastercylinder apart then discovered this......Ohhhhh......it looks a bit worn and aged..... About 28 years aged.......so now both mastercylinders are being reconditioned.  Don't want any let downs on the highway.  Sad part is, it ran like a gem before I fiddled. It Can only get better. Just got to find rebuild kits for both now.. Keep you posted after its all done.
So far though, I'm really impressed how it's all turning out. The seating position and handlebars is nearly perfect.  

ribbert

Quote from: Jeff0308 on July 10, 2016, 07:55:29 AM

No pressure in the levers at all......Brake got no feel at all. it was perfect prior to this.

Jeff, no downside to recoing the M/C's but if they were perfect before, sounds more like a bleeding issue than a problem with the units themselves. However if you've already disassembled them I would go with the rebuild.

The new bars sounds promising, and very near completion.

Might need to celebrate with a coffee catch up.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Jeff0308

Thought I would do an update on the handlebar upgrade. I finished it after having to buy a new clutch  mastercylinder which took a few weeks to get here. An attempt was made on the old one to recondition it but it was to far gone. Surprisingly they are still available new from Yamaha. $240 Australian delivered. The brake master was reconditioned no problem. All new lengthened brake, clutch lines and new extended accelerator cables had to be bought. Noel the return line on the accelerator cable housing had snapped. The new cables make the world of difference. That being said I got them done and when installing them one was 3mm to short and I ran out of adjustment. Anyway that was sorted after many dramas it's all together now. As for the finished product. I'm absolutely wrapped so far as to how it's turned out. The riding position is brilliant. No more slouching forward with pressure on the shoulders and elbows. I have a crook shoulder. After The short trip around the block a few times I got off without any issues. it was a short trip, I'm full of a flu bug so I'm not going to give it a huge run til I feel better. I was thinking of getting rid of the FJ but if this feels as good on a trip as it did on a 10 minute ride then it stays.  This mod has made a huge difference. Wish I did it ages ago. I have also put a Corbin seat on as well which has changed things even more for the better. As for the handling, it feels the same, the only difference is I'm seated upright and slightly bent elbows instead of locked straight. . The wiring only had to be rerouted not extended. There is no fouling points it's all smooth turning. I'm just doing a few short trips soon as I feel up to it then I'll recheck it all and If all is good I'll do a trip and see how it goes. P.S. BEFORE ANYONE COMMENTS ON THE JUMPER ITS MY GARAGE WORK ONE AND ITS WARM AND COMFORTABLE. THATS MY EXCUSE AND IM STICKING TO IT.  I have added photos as well if your interested. The decals on the top clamp I made. Just a finishing touch. There is 2 photos side on. Ones with the newly acquired Corbin seat.  I did try the original seat as well. There not much difference in the positioning if any.

ribbert

Wow Jeff, that looks great, neat job too.  I can see this becoming a popular mod and I know just how comfortable that riding position is. Now, get some cheapy mirrors so you can see past your elbows and you'll be good for the rally next year, only 1500 kms.

I'd be very surprised if this doesn't cure the shoulder problem, the riding position is very BMW (and you're $15K better off) The wind deflector should keep wind off your upper body too, even better.

Jeff, I know you're a printer, but the jumper? It's like a tune you can't get out of your head, I can't unsee it. :biggrin:

Great job, I look forward to throwing my leg over it, it looks very comfortable.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

jagcofj

Jeff0308

I had the pleasure of taking the FJ out today for a 50km ride after doing the handlebar swap as well as the Corbin seat.
Thought i would put up a review as to how it went.
At first it felt "odd". Bike Sounds the same but felt different in a really positive way.
The Corbin seat feels great except for the vibration on the arse cheeks at a certain speed. Comfort wise it's brilliant. I got out on the road  and honestly, it felt like a totally different bike. I still have this grin from ear to ear. No shoulder pain, no back ache. Seating position  nearly upright. The handlebars have a slight vibration but no worse than with the originals on. Was really windy which was a good test. Being in the "upright position" the vario screen needs a little height added, however it's not that bad. Will modify it later. I reckon I could have ridden all day. I'm really impressed how this has turned out. It's made such a huge difference. I thought that by making the seating more "upright" it would change the handling for the worse. In fact I feel it's made it so much better. It seems to handle corners better and I have more control over it. I thought being more  "upright that hard acceleration might make it want to stand up on the rear wheel easier. Nope. It's the same. Is one modification that was well worth the effort. I still have the standard seat to try out which I will do soon however at this stage the Corbin stays. Before i did this mod I thought why waste my time. I'm really glad I did. It has nearly the same feel as the BMW R1200RT  but without the price tag.
So...... Am I selling the FJ..., No. I've achieved exactly what I set out to do. I'm really happy. PS. In the photo in case you ask. The corbins got tape over the cracks in the seat. It's going in to get recovered soon.

Pat Conlon

Good for you Jeff :good:

Re: the bar tingles: Vibranator makes tuned damper bar ends that will fit your (non threaded) handlebars.
http://www.vibranator.com/street_bikes_s/23.htm

I have a set on my LSL fat bar and they work great. Check with Randy @ RPM before you order, perhaps he can get you a set of the handle bar versions cheaper than what they show online.

Again good job! May you enjoy many comfortable miles on your beautiful FJ.....   Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Cbradley1967

Looks awesome!

Where did you have throttle cables lengthened?  Are they new cables or modified originals?  How much of an extension was needed?  What about your brake/clutch hoses and electrical wiring lengths?

Thanks
1989 FJ1200 White/Silver

Cbradley1967

Sorry

Found answers, forgot to look on first page of thread
:dash2:
1989 FJ1200 White/Silver

Russfjr1

Nice bike and nice mods, it can be trial and error but when you get it right it makes all the difference ..... I like it   Russ
It's about as useful as a chocolate fire guard
Current bikes in the stables

Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha FJ1100
Honda Monkey-bike z50m 1967
Ducati Monster
Ducati ST2
Triumph Daytona 600 (daughters)
Honda CBR1000RR (daughters)

Jeff0308

Quote from: Cbradley1967 on October 26, 2016, 12:48:21 PM
Looks awesome!

Where did you have throttle cables lengthened?  Are they new cables or modified originals?  How much of an extension was needed?  What about your brake/clutch hoses and electrical wiring lengths?

Thanks

Throttle cables can be done by a boating / marine place. They were lengthened about 150mm each for memory. Best part with the FJ throttle bales is there is 4. There's a joiner in the middle. The brake lines were  extended about 80mm I think.  As for the wiring it remains unchanged. Just needed rerouting. I got all the cables / lines made longer in case I wanted to get slightly higher bars than I have now.  Think I got about 30mm extra to play with if required. It's Been a few months since I've done the upgrade and I can honestly say. I love it. So different to ride. So much more enjoyable, No sore shoulders and No sore back. I put the bigger flip viser on the vario screen screen to eliminate the buffeting. 85%  perfect. I can ride with the visor open and I'm not chewing on flies. Also the headset I bought ,I originally had trouble hearing it at 100-120kmh on the freeway. Now I can hear it perfectly. The side on photo of the viser is it in a half height position. It can be put all the way up but instead of looking over it you look through it as it sits taller than me at full height.