News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

1989 fj1200 idle problem

Started by jagcofj, June 27, 2016, 02:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jagcofj

Hi to all fj riders, When go start the bike, I pull the choke up hit the start switch bike starts right up. When it warms up I push the choke in idle ok if I move throttle a little  - when I use throttle and give it some gas seems to work ok. - But when I turn throttle clock wise / up the wrong way motor rpms drops and cut off. Is there a stop set screw some where for this.  "O" to I'm getting a little pop back fire like at 4500 to 6000 rpms but then clears up.

I have not pull the gas tank yet.  Is there a site online I can down load a manual for the bike.   I bought the bike off ebay about 2 weeks ago. Man the bike was not in shape like the guy's ebay add said.
Front fender tabs broke off had to make some new 1's came out nice.  Lower fairing had cracks and 1 side was almost broke off. 

aviationfred

My suggestion is going to be based on the belief that your carbs are clean and are in over all good shape.

Once warmed up, your idle needs to be set at 1100 +/-50 RPM's. The adjustment knob is on the underside of the carbs, between the #2 and #3 carb.

Before the idle adjustment is made, you may want to go ahead and do a good deep clean and rebuild of the carbs. www.rpmracingca.com will have the rebuild kits. A good price to pay to have trouble free carbs for years to come.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

jagcofj

Thanks for the reply and info I will try today to play around with it.  As can see in the pics I had to repair the front fender mount tabs, The lower cowling repaired and painted. The rear turn lights on the bike are these after market.
I bought a rack but can't mounted because of the lights stick out on the side.

markmartin

Quote from: jagcofj on June 29, 2016, 07:11:18 AM
The rear turn lights on the bike are these after market.
I bought a rack but can't mounted because of the lights stick out on the side.

Can you post another picture of your rear tail lights? It looks as though they are built into the rear spoiler from the angle of the photo....? this would not be stock.

jagcofj

Rear turn lights picture. I look at a few pictures of other fj1200 don't see these.... "O" to they was kinda yellow looking re-painted them.

markmartin

Yeah, those are nothing I've ever seen on an FJ, but they look good. The stock turn signals can be removed when mounting rear bags etc., but those are going to create a challenge.

jagcofj

Man the gas looks orange color, "OK"  gas tank off 2 air cleaner boots off some.  The carb idle adjustment on the bottom can swing back and forth but will not drop down. - it do attach to the carb I'm I right on this. Lift to right cylinders are 1# 2# 3# 4#  the 2# cylinder is the 1 i set all the other carbs by is this right.  

Do I really have to pull the carbs to find out what's going on the idle screw.

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

jscgdunn

The knob you show in your second picture is the idle adjustment.  you should be able to reach in with a leather glove on and turn it.  if not you can use a long screwdriver to push it in the desired direction.  Tightening increases idle speed.
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

jagcofj

I got bold and pull the carbs. Is there easy way of re-installing the carbs and air box.  Screws was missing also don't some gas over flow tubes mount to the carbs somewhere. Do any hoses go to the light color inlet.

rktmanfj

Quote from: jagcofj on June 29, 2016, 12:44:35 PM
Rear turn lights picture. I look at a few pictures of other fj1200 don't see these.... "O" to they was kinda yellow looking re-painted them.

Those turn signals were featured on a Motorcyclist magazine project bike in an article entitled Red Hot Resurrection in May 1990.

I don't have a copy at hand (it's around here somewhere), but the maker is listed at the end of the piece.

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

Flynt

I like your Ultra Man doll...

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

jagcofj

Quote from: not a lib on June 29, 2016, 06:50:09 PM
Quote from: jagcofj on June 29, 2016, 12:44:35 PM

Those turn signals were featured on a Motorcyclist magazine project bike in an article entitled Red Hot Resurrection in May 1990.

I don't have a copy at hand (it's around here somewhere), but the maker is listed at the end of the piece.

Thanks for the info on the tail lights. I found a plastic bag where the tool bag is. And found this info.

jagcofj

Can any tell me what carb hoses is needed and where hook up to. The air box has a hose hook to it. Where do this run to - or connect to.

FJmonkey

The two empty fittings I believe are bowl vents. The hoses just hang down with the over flow tubes and do not connect to anything. The 90 degree hose barb on the air box goes to a vertical hose barb on top of the crank case. it looks like the hose is shown in the upper image just behind, below and to the right of the carbs. The heat shield has hole for this hose to pass through.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side