News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Tell Me About the Summer Gloves You Have

Started by FJ1100mjk, June 28, 2016, 08:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ1100mjk

Interested in replacing my old, budget summer gloves. If you have a favorite pair of summer (perforated, vented knuckles, short gauntlet) gloves, that you've found to your liking, I'd like to hear about them.

Thanks!
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

aviationfred

I am currently using two pairs of gloves for hot weather. On longer rides and interstate travel, I have a pair of Firstgear unlined, non perforated gauntlet gloves. For commuting, riding around town and other short rides, I wear my Icon Pursuit gloves. They are a short glove that only extends to the wrist, but the leather is well perforated and air flows through very well. There is armour over the knuckles, but the palm is unlined, perforated and in my opinion, not give much protection for your palms in anything faster that a parking lot incursion.

I can post a photo of my Firstgear gloves later.

Here are the icon gloves.
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

FJ1100mjk

Thanks Fred for your details on both pairs of your summer gloves.

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

Firehawk068

Marty,

Alot of the "Summer" type of riding gloves are made of lighter (thinner) materials. As Fred stated, they don't give much protection.
Pay close attention to what the Palm is made of. Get ones that are made of real leather if you can.
The back is not as important, as your first instinct if you go down is to put your palms out.

I had a pair of lightweight "Summer" Motorcycle Gloves from Joe Rocket that I really liked, however the Palm was some sort of synthetic suede "Clarino" material.
It only took a couple seasons, and the palm wore through just from contact with the bar grips. I'm glad that I never went down with them on, as I doubt it would have protected my hands at all.

I threw them out, and got a pair of Alpinestars perforated gloves with a real leather palm. They are not as lightweight, or feel as cool or comfortable in hot weather as the lighter ones did, but I feel a lot better protected with them on.

Definitely find a Motorcycle shop that sells a good variety of gloves to try on.
I have found that sizing varies between manufacturers. I fit an XL in some, and an XXL in others. (I have Bear-Paws)
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

Dads_FJ

I bought these and love them!  Superb fit and finish - and with the Canadian exchange rate in our favor knock about 30% off.  I would recommend any of their products.

http://www.rubbersidedown.ca/catalogue/mens-apparel/mens-leather-apparel/night-hawk-leather-gloves.html

Here's their whole lineup:
http://www.rubbersidedown.ca/catalogue/leather-apparel/leather-gloves.html

John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'92 Yamaha TDM850
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'81 Yamaha IT250(H)
'77 Yamaha IT175(D)
'39 BSA WM20

FJ1100mjk

Thanks everyone for the recommendations and advice on the gloves. Now it's time to go shopping.

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

Flynt

Quote from: Firehawk068 on June 28, 2016, 12:54:54 PM
Pay close attention to what the Palm is made of.

I have Held Airstream 2 gloves and they're nice, thin, light, etc.  They tout the kangaroo leather palms as being the best abrasion resistant choice in natural leather.  The original Airstream had a very short gauntlet and lasted me ~6 years (I loved these gloves!).  They are finally so faded and nasty looking I bought myself the 2's for Father's Day.  Excellent product IMHO, so I bought Held's again...  but,

The best protection AND best airflow would likely be these:

http://www.motoport.com/product/motoport-racing-glove/

I have jacket and pants from these guys and they are truly incredibly well ventilated.  The testimonials about their stuff are amazing (look at the site), so the protection appears to be state-of-the-art as well.  They're a small enough operation that you talk to people and they do stuff for you to make happy customers.

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

aviationfred

Here are actual photos of the gloves that I posted above. The grey glove is what I currently wear. One black glove is brand new and has never been worn, the other is the first glove that I used. It does have a small tear in the leather on the palm.

The old black glove and the grey glove were purchased at the local big brand dealership. The price was $80.00. The new black glove was purchased on eBay and came from China. The difference that is apparent is less perforation, but came with the authentic icon labels. The price was $15.00 with free shipping from China.

I wear these in hot weather for commuting and touring. I use gauntlet gloves for riding in twistys where more protection is needed.

Fred

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2

aviationfred

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2

cclase

I'm old school, so while these may not be fancy armored/racing gloves, I am well pleased with the fit (now that they have stretched and formed to my hands) and finish of my Sullivan gloves http://www.sullivanglove.com/product/cowhide-glove-special/.  Not to mention, USA made matters to me.  Kinda hard to give an accurate readout of how hot they are, I live in Dallas so this time of year its always blazing and every ride is a sweat fest.  I will say that wearing these earlier in the year when it was still cool I did notice how they DID NOT keep my fingers warm! 

Chris
1985 FJ1100

fj1289

Mike Ramos

[/quote]

Fred - I'd be cautious about the knock-off gloves.   What may appear similar usually is made of much cheaper materials and construction techniques in reality.  A big risk in my opinion for safety gear.

https://youtu.be/DftIJD3BdPg

[/quote]

Gentlemen,

I have been wearing the Racer Brand gloves for several years and a lot of miles.  The R-Safe model I find very comfortable for summer weather & the protection seems above par. 

Their web-site offers other models modestly priced and there are several comprehensive reviews linked as well.

I do know of one west coast member who had an accident and although scuffed up, the gloves are still in use.   :good2:

Ride safe

Doc Nielsen

FJ1100mjk

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

FJ1100mjk

Returned the Knox gloves. The wrist closure knob, would not fit under any of my jacket's cuffs. Too bad, because they were a great glove.

Laid out the extra dinero, and got the Held Airstream II's. A lot of riders like them.

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com