News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

1993 ABS reccommissioning

Started by JPaganel, June 30, 2016, 03:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPaganel

Put gas to it and tried to start.

Battery wasn't charged enough. And carburetors are pissing gas.

:dash1:

I hate carburetors. Now I have to pull them again, readjust...

Gah.

Why couldn't Yamaha take BMW's lead and get FI back in the mid-80's?

1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

1986 FJ1200, flaming wreck, repaired and sold
1986 FJ1200, repaired, ridden, sold

I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcicle

FJ1100mjk

Regarding the carbs... You may have a stuck float or two. It's happened to me after I have worked on the carbs. Tap the float bowls with a wooden dowel and a hammer. Usually does the trick to free the floats. For some reason, they never stick again afterwards.
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

JPaganel

Well, I charged the battery and actually started the beast.

It runs pretty smooth, but I got tons of smoke from the front of exhaust. Must be  the dripped-on oil and maybe some soap that didn't quite wash off burning up.

Smoked a little out the pipes, too, but cleared up. I think there must have been oil pooled from sitting. This has got to be it's first run in a year or two.

I only had a tiny drop of gas left, barely over what was in the bowls, so once that ran out, it was done. Going to pull carbs and sort float levels again, then go back to it.

It's so close to being on the road, I can smell it.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

I don't want a pickle

JPaganel

Well, I was wrong back then. It wasn't close.

Carbs were still dirty. I decided that if I haven't found the time to do it in four years, I probably won't and I sent them to RPM to get cleaned out. Thanks, Robert!

Had to find some diaphragms with no holes, too.

The shift shaft seal did need to be changed. Leaked like a bastard. Also, shifter pinch bolt was missing.

After all that, it was finally in running condition, but then I found forks leaking. And I mean really leaking. When I pulled the seals, one of them had a literal chunk missing. Took me over an hour to get all the grease off the various bits. No matter - All Balls seals courtesy of RPM, some new bushings while I was in there.  Also put in new progressive rate springs.   

Springs that were there were not original, since they were shorter and had PVC tube spacers.  I cut some new spacers out of aluminum tube. 35mm OD is the proper tube size, if anyone is interested. Front end feels super now.

Swapped out mirrors for some CBR ones, too.

I do have a bit of a hanging idle when hot. I suspect a vacuum leak in the advance line or from the caps. 

Also, ABS decided to not work and blink at me. I think it might be the pump - there is no click when you turn on the ignition. Not super important, maybe an over winter kinda project.

So, after all that, here she is on the road

1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

I don't want a pickle

Tuned forks

Good looking bike JP.  After buying a '93 I'm appreciating that color scheme.  That was a looooong term project, three years between postings.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

JPaganel

Quote from: Tuned forks on September 21, 2019, 10:37:00 PM
That was a looooong term project, three years between postings.

Joe

Life (and other bikes) interfered. 

I was determined to keep at least one FJ, though.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

I don't want a pickle

Tuned forks

That darned life thing gets in the way of some many worthy projects.  :biggrin:  I've been there and neglected that too.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket