News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Manshed Day at Bermagui

Started by oldktmdude, July 03, 2016, 06:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

racerrad8

I recall the same thing on my visit. Pete, Alf and Megsy where wheeling their rides beyond my comfort level...

It was hard not knowing exactly where I was going in a foreign country, plus having to remember to stay on the wrong side of the road...

Man that was almost three years ago...

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

andyoutandabout

Jeez, that must have been a rarified pace, recalling the recent Renegade hospital pass made by father and son on priest grade. If that doesn't sound biblical then.......
life without a bike is just life

oldktmdude

A big thanks to all those who attended the Manshed weekend. Hope you all enjoyed the experience. Thanks also to Alf and Gail for all the work they put in and also for the use of their garage, BBQ and accommodation. Special thanks to Noel and Richard for their keenness to cover the long distances to attend.
See you all at the March Rally.
   Regards, Pete.   :drinks:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

Johno

A big thankyou to Alf and Gail and Pete for there hospitality and great company :hi:, that extends to all in attendance Tony, Troy, Richard and Noel  :drinks:. Good shakedown for my 1992 FJ which I bought some years ago and now back on the road :yahoo:. Another big thankyou to Pete who not only gave me a front tyre because mine was "hard" :dash2: as but changed it in no time flat Saturday morning in between rebuilding Troys carbs. :good2: Then Pete turned up following my stranded phone call on Sunday afternoon with a trailer and a bag of fuses and tools and Richard (the Victorian Queenslander) for moral support :drinks:, following a shorted ignition circuit which left me stranded at Tilba  :dash2:. In the end it required a trip back to Petes workshop, a lot of logic and discussion a strip down and a great result located the problem ( in the front fairing the igniter holding bolt had trapped the wiring loom against the fairing causing the short). The fault was intermittent blowing fuses in the morning so I stocked up on fuses did a morning ride (3 fuses) then tried to get home in the end the problem was permanent replace fuse turn ignition on fuse goes pop more fuses :wacko2: I rang Pete when I had completely run out of fuses . Bike was fixed before dark and I had a nice twilight ride home. If I had been just me at home it would have taken me a long time to find it (weeks I suspect). "Three heads are better than one " was Pete's comment. Great forum lots of heads here as well  :good2: :good2:

oldktmdude

Quote from: Johno on November 28, 2016, 06:06:44 AM
A big thankyou to Alf and Gail and Pete for there hospitality and great company :hi:, that extends to all in attendance Tony, Troy, Richard and Noel  :drinks:.
Don't forget Phil.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300

roverfj1200

I to wish to extend my thanks to Pete, Alf and Gail. Thanks for the great time and fun rides. Thanks to all the attendees as that is what makes these things great. I had a great time riding down and back with another 4000 km on the clock for my troubles. Hope to see you all and many others at Esk in March.  :good2:
1988 FJ1200
1991 FJ1200

Richard.

Johno

Your right Pete forgot Phil . Cheers Phil  :drinks:

ribbert

Quote from: racerrad8 on November 25, 2016, 10:45:29 AM

Is it just me, or does it seem Noel's achilles heel is where the rubber meets the road... :bomb:

Randy - RPM

Sorry Noel, I know you hate that photo, but it is a great memory... :lol:

Awww shoot, there goes my anonimity, you've just given Ramos and Copper an image to stick on their dart boards. :biggrin:

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Quote from: flips on November 25, 2016, 06:16:31 AM
Oh No Noel!  :shok:
Did you trip and squash a Kawasaki?....Kermit?.....Shrek?  (Green marks on the ground) 
:unknown:
Have a great weekend Guys.

Cheers   :drinks:

Jeff P

Very observant and very funny Jeff.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Quote from: oldktmdude on July 03, 2016, 06:33:49 AM
  G'day, Alf and I have decided to hold a Manshed day(s) at Bermagui.....
  Regards, Pete.

....and a great few days they were too!

Many thanks to Alf and Pete and to Alf's wife Gail who bravely hung around for the weekend, kept us fed and now knows more about FJ's than she ever dreamed of (or wanted)
The company, as usual, was excellent and the boys had a great 300km ride mapped out for us on the Saturday arriving back at Alf's at exactly beer o'clock.
We strictly adhered to Manshed weekend rules of riding, eating, drinking and tall tales, deviating only slightly for a few pesky maintenance items Sat am.

Pete and Alf live in a slice of heaven on the NSW South coast that I'm sure they'd rather the rest of the world didn't know about.

So much beautiful coastline if you're prepared to walk 5 mins you can have beaches like this to yourself......

Alf recalling his wife's reaction to bringing home his recently acquired 1100 (in addition to his Kwaka)

Richard and Troy enjoying some social lubricant, AKA the source of great motorcycling yarns.

Proof that "Kookaloo" rides the roads down under.

Believe it or not, they were having fun.

Pete's lightning fast 1100 needing to be restrained even with the engine turned off.

The trip up I have done before and posted a report on so I didn't take many photos. Below is the road into Jindabyne, somewhere that Randy will remember from his Australian trip (hopefully fondly)

The last of the snow from a 100km away

Not far below the snowline. I stopped and had a drink from the stream. It probably tasted no better than tap water but at that moment, in that place it was the best water I've ever tasted.

Some parts of the country are so drought affected even the cows are going rusty.

....but is it bettera.

This behind me....

...and this in front of me, does it get any better?

My trip did not take me on any dirt roads so I went out my way to find some on the way home.

This shot is taken from the bike on a corner on that road - not a good corner to over cook although I'd probably have time to make a phone call on the way down.

One thing you can be sure of on roads like this, any oncoming vehicle is going to be dead smack in the middle of the road, which in this case is just about all of it.

The only arse clencher for the trip was finding this at speed and hard under brakes.

Despite leaving home in rain, fog and cold with heated vest, winter gear and grips cranked up, the next four and a half days were spent riding in perfect weather, if not a tad warm and traffic averaging not much more than one vehicle per hour for most of it. 2700kms for the weekend and terrific time at the Manshed weekend, let's do it again.

Noel

FeralRdr

Great Picts Everyone.

Noel, thanks in particular for stopping along the way to share some of your journey.  I know how hard it is to sometimes just stop and grab a pict or two.  :hi:

Looks like you all had a great weekend, with proper miscreants.   :good2:

FJools

Nice Photos Noel,

I'll hopefully get a trip down there on the FJ one day................. :empathy2:
Still thinking of something..................

oldktmdude

Great pics and comments Noel. Glad you enjoyed your time with us, as we enjoyed having you here as well. We thank you for taking the time and putting in the big effort to get here. I know that the ride to and from our part of the world was also a major part of your enjoyment. We certainly are blessed with some of the best riding roads and scenery in the country, right at our doorstep.  See you in March. Have a great Christmas and a great New Year.
   Regards, Pete.    :drinks:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300

The General

Quote from: ribbert on November 23, 2016, 07:52:48 AM
Just when I thought I had dodged a bullet with the last minute puncture and tyre replacement and thought nothing else could possibly prevent me leaving in the morning, this happened.

It's positively un Australian to go on a trip without them.

Noel

Miss you guys.....Sorry I haven`t been about lately, but seeing this post Noel has me leaping to assist, though it is belated.....Fantastic reports & pics of the Souther Manshed day btw.
....I am savouring this moment, and and and I just hope ya haven`t thrown them out!....but to get me home i use the plastic clip from a loaf of bread wrapper!
Kinda like a reserve tank, it will get you to the next pub as long as your knees aren`t touching the road.
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

ribbert

Quote from: The General on December 09, 2016, 01:32:25 PM
Quote from: ribbert on November 23, 2016, 07:52:48 AM
Just when I thought I had dodged a bullet with the last minute puncture and tyre replacement and thought nothing else could possibly prevent me leaving in the morning, this happened.

It's positively un Australian to go on a trip without them.

Noel

Miss you guys.....Sorry I haven`t been about lately, but seeing this post Noel has me leaping to assist, though it is belated.....Fantastic reports & pics of the Souther Manshed day btw.
....I am savouring this moment, and and and I just hope ya haven`t thrown them out!....but to get me home i use the plastic clip from a loaf of bread wrapper!
Kinda like a reserve tank, it will get you to the next pub as long as your knees aren`t touching the road.

About time we heard from you Doug. What a ripper fix for the thongs, it works so well you can't help but think they considered this when designing them.

I doubt even McGyver knows this one, Aussie ingenuity at its best.

Doug, it appears you have been avoiding the Southern States at our last few FJ get togethers so I guess the only way we will catch up is if I come North. I have already booked my accommodation in Esk.
See you in March.

Noel