News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Raving about my Hyperkewl Vest

Started by Firehawk068, July 27, 2016, 09:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firehawk068

After having seen a bunch of members wearing these at the Colorado Rally, and hearing about how much they loved them, I asked my Wife to get me one for my Birthday.

I picked out this one:

Techniche "Hyperkewl"
It is their Deluxe Sport model

It just so happened that it showed up at the house while I was out on my 658-mile ride, 2 weekends ago.............. :dash2:
I certainly could have used it that day.

Anyway, I have been wearing it to/from work each day this week. It works Awesome!!!!!!
I can't believe I have never thought about getting one of these sooner...............? :scratch_one-s_head:

The mornings have been cool, and when you wear it dry underneath a mesh jacket it provides an additional insulation/wind-break layer.

The rides home in the afternoons have been hot.............Today it was 94 degrees, and when soaked before leaving work this thing keeps me comfortably cool (even when sitting in rush-hour traffic)
I can't believe how much more comfortable I feel while riding in the heat!
I originally was on the fence about getting one with the added collar, because all the ones I've seen folks wearing at the rally were more of an open/low-cut top.
I am glad that I chose this model.
The extra collar provides a nice cool ring around your hot neck in the sun, without feeling like it is too snug on your neck.(also prevents a sun-burned neck by covering it up)
You can also tuck the collar inside, and not zip it up all the way if you want to wear it without the collar.

If you are on the fence about getting one of these, and you ride in hot weather, GET ONE!
There are a bunch of different brands, and most are around the same price.
This one was $38.95

Try to find a store where you can try them on. You want a size that fits snug (so the cooling effect is right next to your body)
I went over to Performance Cycle, and they happened to stock this exact brand "Techniche", so I was able to get an exact size that I needed.
They wanted $50 for the vests, so I had my Wife buy it on Amazon (Thanks Honey!)

I love this thing!  :yahoo:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

aviationfred

+1  :yahoo: With the cool vests. I know of 3 brands, and i am sure there are others. Cycle Gear, Joe Rocket and as Alan mentioned Techniche HyperKewl.

I have used my HyperKewl vest for a couple of years now. They really do make riding in 90-105 degree F heat bearable. Pair it with a CamelBak hydration system, long distance riding in the heat can be done with minimal ill effect.

This vest will NOT work with a standard leather or textile jacket. A mesh jacket is required.

I have the type that Alan mentions that does not have the collar. I just recently found another version that has zip off sleeves. I got it as a closeout and I believe they are no longer produced.

Fred

I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

FJmonkey

I have a similar evap vest and will attest that it works really well with any jacket that has some venting. I was roasting on my way home from the last WCR and on my last stop for fuel I remembered that I tossed it in the trunk. I gave it a good soak and was quite comfortable the last 200 miles home.  :dance2: And they also work as added cold insulation when dry. So I guess it will stay in the trunk or on my back during all rides...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

4everFJ

I have one of these: http://www.macna.com/products/dry-cooling-vest/

It was put to the test last summer riding through Arizona, Utah, Nevada and Death Valley with temperatures reaching 115°F. I don't think I would have survived without it...
1985 - Yamaha FJ1100 36Y
1978 - Yamaha SR500
1983 - Kawasaki GPZ550 (sold)
1977 - Kawasaki Z400 (sold)

racerrad8

The Fly Racing Cooling Vest has been added to the inventory. The come in two colors and six different sizes.

It can be paired with the FLY Racing Hydro Pack to ensure a cool & hydrated riding expereince in the heat of summer.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Capn Ron

Yeah, these vests really are the shiznit... :good2:

Bought mine on a whim on the way up to the 2015 Klickitat "mini-rally"...  It was forcasted to be 100+ degrees by noon every day we were going to be there.  We adjusted our riding times to be on the road by 7:00am and back in the ohhh-so-wonderful air conditioned cabin by early afternoon.  That, combined with an evaporative vest and my full-air-flow riding gear made the temperatures bearable.  Whenever I stopped for fuel or a bite to eat, I'd just soak the vest in the nearest sink and all was good.  HIGHLY recommend these!!!
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.