News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

carburettor membrane

Started by draku, March 04, 2010, 01:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

draku

Does anyone know if I can change just the rubber membranes to carburetor?
Or should I change all slide system?
Thanks

Harvy

Quote from: draku on March 04, 2010, 01:34:07 PM
Does anyone know if I can change just the rubber membranes to carburetor?
Or should I change all slide system?
Thanks

From memory, the membrane is bonded to the slide, so I doubt you can just replace it.

Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

SlowOldGuy

Not replaceable.  I tried and it was impossible to remove the diaphragm.

DavidR.

draku

bad news then ..
I found that a membrane has 3 small holes and another one has a crack ...
have to find a way to replace or repair
I found a site in the UK (www.nrp-carb.com) that sells membranes, but if you can not change just the rubber, I do not know how to replace ...
also do not know if it's ok to replace only one, because rubber is different

Harvy

Quote from: draku on March 05, 2010, 12:27:16 AM
bad news then ..
I found that a membrane has 3 small holes and another one has a crack ...
have to find a way to replace or repair
I found a site in the UK (www.nrp-carb.com) that sells membranes, but if you can not change just the rubber, I do not know how to replace ...
also do not know if it's ok to replace only one, because rubber is different

Draku........some of the folks in the US have posted on the Yahoo site of repairing the membrane with "plasti-dip".....I'm sure others will let you know how to go about doing this.

Found on eBay......
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-FJ1100-FJ1200-CARB-SLIDE-DIAPHRAGM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5885f45945QQitemZ380204505413QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1522wt_875

I just had a look on the SCI website.......they don't list them anymore......maybe they are discontinued?

Here is a listing for 4 new slides:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-CARB-SLIDE-DIAPHRAMS-85-FJ1100-86-93-FJ1200_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eab83777eQQitemZ200446015358QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_531wt_1166

Harvy

pdxfj

Small holes and cracks can be touched up rather easy.  I'm guessing the holes are very small and scattered around, and the cracks are near the top of the rubber around the area where it joins up with the carb.

http://starbrite.com/productdetail.cfm?ID=1076&ProductCat=RV&ProductSCat=Liquid%20Electric%20Tape&ProductSSCat=

I used a q-tip to apply several light coats.  Very flexible and works great for fixing small pin holes and cracks.  Lasts for years.

You can thank Marsh for discovering it.

Someone did find that using a 50/50 mix of Plasti-Dip and Naphtha and dipping the entire rubber part of the side  into the mix several times worked well also.

draku

@Harvy: I know about that ebay listings. I was looking for a cheaper way to repair...  :smile:
@pdxfj: unfortunately, I can't find here that plasti-dip rubber coating... nobody sell  :cray:

wheels

hey harvy got floaties on ya bike  not much riding going up in your neck of the woods

wheels

long weekend labour day 3 days of riding and partying

wheels

had the superbikes at phillip island last week. there was this 72 year old bloke having a spin  lost it on the lefthand bend  slid across the road and got cleaned up by another rider .pretty fatal ended up dieing  poor bugger.

Harvy

Quote from: wheels on March 05, 2010, 02:43:59 AM
hey harvy got floaties on ya bike  not much riding going up in your neck of the woods

Bike has not turned a wheel since Monday.
Even the car is complaining.......water in the distributor on Tuesday night.....had to get it towed home, then this morning the drivers side windscreen wiper arm decided it no longer wanted to be part of the car......the whole thing snapped off just above the mounting nut! Good thing the drivers and passenger side arms are interchangeable.
Riding bikes teaches you to look thru the windscreen - not at it.

On the up side, I worked from home for 4 days this week.

Harvy

roverfj1200

As far as a repair to a carb membrane :hi: goes you can get a product from BCF or camping stores called seal repair.

This has in it a tube of glue. I use it on my airhawk neoprene seat.. Its Glue Strong stuff... Will work a treat on all rubber...  :hi:
1988 FJ1200
1991 FJ1200

Richard.