News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

New fork springs? But that costs money!

Started by fudge12, August 19, 2016, 09:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

Quote from: FJ1100mjk on October 20, 2016, 06:56:59 AM

.....Of course, there are some that do own newer bikes, and some that can be described as lurkers, who don't post for reasons of their own, and their ownership of other bikes is an unknown.

I guess that's because it's an FJ forum. Other bikes/cars/airplanes/boats etc are not really pertinent.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

giantkiller

Quote from: ribbert on October 20, 2016, 07:53:41 AM

.....Of course, there are some that do own newer bikes, and some that can be described as lurkers, who don't post for reasons of their own, and their ownership of other bikes is an unknown.

I guess that's because it's an FJ forum. Other bikes/cars/airplanes/boats etc are not really pertinent.

Noel
I have a smart car that I'm going to put an rx1 sled motor in. Doesn't make sense. And is going to be scary As hell. But sure is going to be fun smoking newer high dollar sports cars. :sarcastic:
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

fj1289

I'll happily concede that bolting on new suspension bits doesn't change the fact that it is a dated design.  

For me, part of the fun of FJ ownership is how well they respond to relatively simple upgrades.  This is a bike that invites and rewards you for participating in making it your own.  As long as you don't stray too far from basic mods, it is difficult not to get good results (assuming of course you do the work properly!)

Would I be money ahead to be buying a newer bike?  Yes and no.  For some being mechanically involved is a very satisfying part of ownership.  For others, they see each bike as it rolled off the showroom floor as the sum total - so they have to go to another bike in order to upgrade.  Neither camp is wrong -- but at times are rather foreign to each other!

fudge12

Giantkiller, that sounds like a hoot!  I love surprising people in 'sports cars' with my Yukon
Fj1289, I do both and enjoy both. I'm all about improvements, but since I swap bikes out so often I've greatly reduced the amount of time and money I'm willing to put into them.
1987 FJ1200
2008 Versys
2002 VFR800
2002 Buell Blast
1986 Honda CM400C
~Dnepr MT-16
1975 Honda GL1000
The best you've ridden is the best you know.
I'm like Netflix, but with bikes.

FJ1100mjk

Noel

How true. Unfortunate in a sense too.

Seems like things here have devolved. The biggest draw of late, was the banter on the political post about Clinton or Trump, but that will be old hat sometime after November 8th.

Same things seem to get recycled, over and over. Heated grips, Blue Dots, 17" rims and tire preferences, certain rallies, dirty carbs... Sigh. :hang1:

Whatever became of the FJ fuel injection project? That's pertinent, and of technical interest.

On another forum, that I visit sporadically, someone posted "What Happened to This Forum?" Same could be started here.
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

ribbert

Quote from: FJ1100mjk on October 21, 2016, 04:19:21 AM

Noel

How true. Unfortunate in a sense too.

Seems like things here have devolved. The biggest draw of late, was the banter on the political post about Clinton or Trump, but that will be old hat sometime after November 8th.

Same things seem to get recycled, over and over. Heated grips, Blue Dots, 17" rims and tire preferences, certain rallies, dirty carbs... Sigh. :hang1:

Whatever became of the FJ fuel injection project? That's pertinent, and of technical interest.

On another forum, that I visit sporadically, someone posted "What Happened to This Forum?" Same could be started here.

Lots of other things do get discussed here but they usually run out of steam fairly quickly because this is a single interest forum, FJ's, other subjects are only ever going to have a limited interest to some of the membership some of the time.

The dynamics of the forum shift constantly too as members fade in and out of prominence or leave, or the ebb and flow of respect shown by members in their communications with other members, and a loss of bonhomie and so many people just waiting for an opportunity to take offense. I don't know why, perhaps it just mimics society in this regard. The seasons also influence content as bikes are parked up at the start of Winter and cabin fever sets in towards the end of it.

One thing's for sure, an interesting motorbike related discussion or a good laugh is never too far off.

I certainly light up when subjects related to, but not specifically about FJ's come up.

IMO
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

jscgdunn

"Same things seem to get recycled, over and over. Heated grips, Blue Dots, 17" rims and tire preferences, certain rallies, dirty carbs... Sigh."

Of course this is true....as new members join they have the same questions the old timers had 15 years ago.

I find this particular thread (hijacked as it is) regarding modifying fork springs very interesting.   (popcorn)

Jeff

92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

fudge12

So the boy decided discretion was the better part of valor, and wants to take the blast on our ride which means the FJ sits this trip out. 850ish miles over 4 days.
1987 FJ1200
2008 Versys
2002 VFR800
2002 Buell Blast
1986 Honda CM400C
~Dnepr MT-16
1975 Honda GL1000

Cobblesmacker

Loving the smart fix. My investment potential on my bike is also limited—as is my mechanical experience—so cheap easy mods are absolutely where it's at for me. Love my FJ but I'm not here because I'm a massive fan. I'm here because it's the best bike I could afford and the guys here have forgotten more than I've learnt.

If FJs were perfect, there wouldn't be a forum. We'd be riding them all the time instead of fixing and modding them all the time.
:diablo:

fudge12

So change of plans. The versys needs a new throttle cable, and I'm not willing to risk it right now so the fudge gets to go on the trip.
1987 FJ1200
2008 Versys
2002 VFR800
2002 Buell Blast
1986 Honda CM400C
~Dnepr MT-16
1975 Honda GL1000

krusty

Getting back to fork springs that cost money. Has anyone here experienced the comfort of the FJR1300 (for touring two-up)? I have been contemplating upgrading the springs and shocks of either my FJ11 or FJ12 and wondered if I could bring the suspension/ride performance close to that of the FJR and if would be fiscally viable. The FJ12 has Koni (Ikon) progressive springs at the moment. The FJ11 has stock 90 FJ12 front forks. A decent FJR here in Oz can be had for about $5k - $8k (a v good FJ12 is about $3k - $4k).
91 FJ1200
84 FJ1100 x 2
85 FJ1100
89 GL1500
76 CB750F1
72 CB350F
63 C92 x 2
59 C76
62 C100
63 C100
60 Colleda 250TA x 3
63 Suzuki MD50
77 DT125E
77 DT175E x 2
79 DT250F

Alf

Touring 2 up is the only issue where the FJR13 shines over our FJ:FJR are big, wide, large, ultra-smooth and comfy. The feeling is like riding an FJ with a trailer. The rider ergonomy is exactly the same on the first models
Our FJ is faster, lighter and better for the solo sport rider (upgrading suspensions, rims & brakes)

In Spain when the FJR appeared in 2003 a comparative was arrange by a popular mag at the Jarama circuit. A completely STD FJ1100, only improved in suspensions, not rims or brakes  :shok: , humiliated the 25 years younger FJR, to the Yamaha embarrassment