News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

FJ1100 continuous idle stalling

Started by SausageNips, August 20, 2016, 02:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SausageNips

Hoping the wisdom of this forum can once again assist:

I'm having an issue with my bike continuing to stall when not choked.  If i have any gas applied, it runs fine, but coasting or at a rest it stalls.  

What's been done:
- all 4 carbs thoroughly cleaned twice
- carbs synched with a manometer
- fuel tank emptied and thoroughly cleaned.  No rust present
- new fuel filter installed
- spark plugs replaced
- spark plug wires replaced
- engine compression tested on all 4 cylinders - between 120-130 each

The carb jets were upgraded a few years ago with the DynaJet kit,  ignition upgraded to a DynaTek 2000, and the engine was professionally rebored to a 1200.  Speaking with my mechanic, he suggested that we increase the pilot jets, as he thinks the idle is being starved.  My concern about this is that it was working for several years on the current configuration.

Anyone have any ideas on this?  I'm scratching my head.  I'm not opposed to increasing the jets, but they are already significantly larger than the originals, so I just don't want to go down the rabbit hole with this.

Thank you in advance!
Bike:
85 FJ1100 red/white
- Bored and rebuilt to 1200cc
- Dyna2000 ignition
- Dynajet ported carbs - Stage 3
- K&N individual filters
- Vance & Hines stainless exhaust

ribbert

Quote from: SausageNips on August 20, 2016, 02:44:42 AM
Hoping the wisdom of this forum can once again assist:

I'm having an issue with my bike continuing to stall when not choked.  If i have any gas applied, it runs fine, but coasting or at a rest it stalls.  

Weighing up everything you say, sounds like it's just idling too slow - bump the idle speed up.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"