News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Front fender on FJ1200 ABS

Started by aj52, September 01, 2016, 07:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aj52

Hi guys

What other front fender will fit on the FJ? :
Mine got lost some way or the other and I can't find one here in RSA. :dash2:

I think it's called fender,the piece that is above front wheel(mudgaurd on scramblers).

Thanks in advance
Hannes
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

FJmonkey

All years on the FJ are the same, just different colors. Plus there are other alternatives if you don't need the original look.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

aviationfred

You may be able to source a RZ500 or RD500LC front fender.

Here is the post that shows the installation.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=13494.0

The is also a post for a FZR front fender mod.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=15573.0

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

aj52

Thanks for the replay guys,but no luck for me on those fenders either.
So I have decided to make fender out of fibreglass,using back piece as a mold.
Mold for back piece is finished and busy curing now.

After I made the new back piece,I am going to modify that mold for the front piece.
Where it is recessed at the lower end, I am going to fill that area up untill it is flush with the area where bracket comes on.
The 2 lower holes where it fastened against forks above calipers,is going to be cut away,extend the round sides around the forks to where it meets rear piece.
Then where front piece presses against fork,I am going to beefing up that area so there is no play for fender.

So hopefully by this coming weekend,the FJ is on the road again and not just sitting in garage :bye:

Hannes
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

FJmonkey

You can also fit a Suzuki Bandit front fender for a different look. If interested I can post up a drawing of the bracket to fit it to the FJ forks.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=11483.0

PaulG

Quote from: aj52 on September 26, 2016, 04:04:17 PM

After I made the new back piece,I am going to modify that mold for the front piece.
Where it is recessed at the lower end, I am going to fill that area up untill it is flush with the area where bracket comes on.
The 2 lower holes where it fastened against forks above calipers,is going to be cut away,extend the round sides around the forks to where it meets rear piece.
Then where front piece presses against fork,I am going to beefing up that area so there is no play for fender.

So hopefully by this coming weekend,the FJ is on the road again and not just sitting in garage :bye:

Hannes

If you can, take as many pics as possible while doing this.  Then post it here.  I would be very interested in your progress and results.   :good:
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

aj52

Quote from: FJmonkey on September 26, 2016, 04:23:03 PM
You can also fit a Suzuki Bandit front fender for a different look. If interested I can post up a drawing of the bracket to fit it to the FJ forks.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=11483.0

Thanks,if my little project fails,I will take you up on your offer.

Quote from: PaulG on September 26, 2016, 04:37:40 PM
Quote from: aj52 on September 26, 2016, 04:04:17 PM

Hannes

If you can, take as many pics as possible while doing this.  Then post it here.  I would be very interested in your progress and results.   :good:

I will post my progress as I go along  :good:

Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

aj52

How do you upload photo's?  :scratch_one-s_head:
I see at "Additional Options" is there a place to choose files,but if I want to check at "preview",it does not show there.
Also want to put in comments at photo's.
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

FJmonkey

Quote from: aj52 on September 28, 2016, 03:35:21 AM
How do you upload photo's?  :scratch_one-s_head:
I see at "Additional Options" is there a place to choose files,but if I want to check at "preview",it does not show there.
Also want to put in comments at photo's.

You can load them to your gallery on this site first. Then link to the photo when you post. This allows comments between photos and previewing prior to posting. If you click to reply with quotes to this post you will see the code and image address. There is a button to Insert Image above the smilelys.

PaulG

At the top of the General Discussion page there is also this thread that has been "stickied" to the board.  How to post Pictures into your posts.  Using the attachment option does not show in preview - for whatever reason.  It's self explanatory - I use Photobucket to store the pics then use it's copy/link function to post them in the threads here.

It also allows the same functions as using the Gallery on this site.  Either/Or will perform the same way.

1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

fj1289

Mark - you haven't gotten around to 3-D printing a front fender yet?!   :pardon:

FJmonkey

That would be a big printer and a lot of clean up work to get the printing lines sanded out. I have the Bandit fender posted up next. Getting 86/87 scoop protectors printed soon as well.

fj1289

How well does the ABS perform from a printer?  Are there internal "seams" that create weak points or a tendency to split?

aviationfred

This photo was posted to one of the Facebook FJ pages. The fender is from a Suzuki GS550E. All I know about modifying it to fit. Is that the curved OEM brace needs to be replaced with a flat brace.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

aj52

I'm still busy with the fibreglass fender.
It is a hell of a lot of work to get the surface nice and smooth and uniformerd

I will upload the photo's as I am finished with it,before and after painting.

It is definitely not a one week job,I were way to over opportunistic about it.  :crazy:
I just want to take it out on the road,been sitting in garage since middle August
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200