News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Early one morning....

Started by Mike Ramos, September 02, 2016, 05:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Ramos

... very early in the morning... way up ahead was another motorcycle so I rolled on the throttle to take a look when, as i was entering the triple digits, power began to taper off...  hmm, plenty of fuel, oil pressure okay....  lost a cylinder for some reason... limped 60 miles home and discovered #2 cylinder low on compression (as in no compression!)  Valve clearance was in spec.... looks as if a valve burned...!

Following a phone call to Randy and Robert, a few days later, loading up the FJ into a trailer I ventured to the RPM shop.  Despite a busy schedule, they quickly had the engine out & head off and sure enough, one valve gone with another just beginning to leak.  As i was beginning to use oil, no doubt an overhaul was soon to be in the cards anyway.

RPM is keeping me informed of the progress; tear down is complete and reassembly is scheduled late next week - which indicates a fairly quick turn around despite the fact it was an unplanned event.  Because of the high mileage, it was decided to install new pistons, rings, bearings cam chains et al- as all the parts are in stock there is no waiting on parts - just waiting for time in their busy schedule to complete assembly.

So, no ECFR in Tennessee this month, but in a few weeks following break in and a few shake down runs, the old FJ will be ready to roll one again... and not so old after all...!

Thanks RPM.

Midget.

rktmanfj

Quote from: Mike Ramos on September 02, 2016, 05:56:14 PM

So, no ECFR in Tennessee this month, but in a few weeks following break in and a few shake down runs, the old FJ will be ready to roll one again... and not so old after all...!

Thanks RPM.

Midget.

Dammit, Mike... at least the damage (considering all) was minimal.

You'll be missed in BCNC, for sure.

See you next season...  ;)
Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

Alf

Hi, Mike

High mileage?, how many miles?. Mine is now showing 152.000 miles at the Odo without engine problems. Maybe is it due to the gas quality there?

Regards

Alf

Bones

If your valve clearances were in spec Mike why would your valves burn out.?
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

yamaha fj rider

Quote from: Bones on September 03, 2016, 04:02:18 AM

There can be several reasons for this. The valves were run out adjustment and started to burn, before Mike got the bike. It could also be a bad valve or something got stuck between the valve and seat, which started the process of burning the valve, then broke free. In my opinion this was a problem Mike inherited.

Sorry to read of your misfortune. I'm glad you were close to home when this happened. Wishing you, many happy ridding miles.

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

ZOA NOM

Quote from: Alf on September 03, 2016, 03:42:07 AM
Hi, Mike

High mileage?, how many miles?. Mine is now showing 152.000 miles at the Odo without engine problems. Maybe is it due to the gas quality there?

Regards

Alf

LOL, I think Mike passed 152 a long time ago....

I shudder to think of how many are to come with a fresh rebuild...
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

racerrad8

I am not sure sure it burned the valve as it looks like it just flaked off.

Head & cylinders off to the machine shop last week.

Rest of the engine has been torn down and given the first cleaning to get the massive amounts of road gunk off of it.

It was very obvious why the starter chain was so noisy...

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Sparky84

Those spark plugs are Super clean, how long have they been in for? Mine look worse than that after a short 2 hour ride!
I hope that's not the reason why I hear a noise ever now and then.

Alan
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

racerrad8

Quote from: Sparky84 on September 05, 2016, 07:31:13 PM
Those spark plugs are Super clean, how long have they been in for? Mine look worse than that after a short 2 hour ride!
I hope that's not the reason why I hear a noise ever now and then.

Alan

Those were installed in July. He was having a little misfire. The plugs were so caked with oil ash it was decided to replace them. The looked like the center of the intake valve across from the bad exhaust valve.

He has been using a ton of oil as well. So, I would say 3-5K miles since they were replaced.

Just look at the oil smoke from the muffler back int he spring of 2105. That is also synthetic oil so the smoke is much less than conventional oil. Mike is in front of Rick for the majority of the video.

https://youtu.be/ZBiDNhqd4ck

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Mike Ramos

Hi, Mike

Regards

Alf

Hello Alf,

The 1991 had 174,000 (sometimes hard) miles as of 3 years ago (it was purchased it at 27,000 miles) - it was then sold to a fellow who uses it mainly as a commuter to work.  As far as i know it is still running.

This 1992 engine has... er had... 108,000 miles and although it was in excellent condition cosmetically when purchased, it sat for extended periods of time as the previous owner was often at sea.  But it was purchased at 22,200 miles so I cannot really complain - it never let me down and still performed well.

I do not abuse the equipment however I do use it hard at times...

Ride safe,

Mike

Mike Ramos

Quote from: yamaha fj rider on September 03, 2016, 02:07:59 PM
Quote from: Bones on September 03, 2016, 04:02:18 AM

There can be several reasons for this. The valves were run out adjustment and started to burn, before Mike got the bike. It could also be a bad valve or something got stuck between the valve and seat, which started the process of burning the valve, then broke free. In my opinion this was a problem Mike inherited.

Sorry to read of your misfortune. I'm glad you were close to home when this happened. Wishing you, many happy ridding miles.

Kurt

Hello Kurt!

Yep, part of it was inherited however I do not believe it was intentional.  The bike had set for extended intervals prior to purchase and after 24 years of service (heck, that's even older than me!) something had to give.  But all in all I cannot complain.

See you at a Rally before too long!

(and I never mentioned the noise-maker at the last WCR...!)

Mike.

Alf

Thanks, Mike . It was only curiosity
Best regards and ride safe much more miles
Alf

Mike Ramos

Quote from: ZOA NOM on September 04, 2016, 05:37:53 AM
Hi, Mike

Regards

Alf

LOL, I think Mike passed 152 a long time ago....

I shudder to think of how many are to come with a fresh rebuild...

Greetings Rick!

Yep, I will have just gotten into high gear - so to speak - (and plan on a whole lot of miles) with the new engine!!!

It is my belief that, after weighing the various options available, a complete rebuild provides the best "cost vs. value" and is actually less than presumed; especially when, based on previous experience, high mileage from a properly rebuilt engine can be expected.  And considering the rest of the bike has all the modifications and updates available, it will be a sound investment.

When I sold the 1991 with high mileage, it was running well and was a sound motorcycle.  I did look at a nice 1992 in san Diego with 35,000 miles a few months ago HOWEVER, I could not in good conscience sell this 1992 to anyone knowing it was on its' last legs.

Plus, I would be purchasing an unknown quantity and although another FJ would seem to cost some what less than an engine overhaul, considering the miles I ride (and the isolated areas I roam) I would be repeating this all over again within just a few years.

So, rather than start at 35,000 (or so) and take my chances (and perhaps once again inheriting another problem), when the true and actual "cost per mile' is figured when starting a ZERO miles - and knowing the rest of the chassis is also "as new" then I am practically, in fact actually I am getting a new motorcycle...!

As an aside, the engine will remain stock with just the over size pistons being the only change (I think it makes it a 1202cc - 1188cc original..?)

Let the fun begin...

Ride safe,

Mike Ramos

racerrad8

Well, the progress continues. I like, if possible, to be able to allow the bike owner to participate.

Mike did 95% of the tear down of the engine. It made him really nervous as things were being disassembled they were not being laid out in order...everything just goes into a basket for cleaning.

I told him the next time he came down, I would have him clean up his bike since it has hundreds of thousands of miles on it. It is a perfect opportunity to clean while the engine is out. You get to see places that are never visible with the engine in the bike.

So, I gave him some cleaner, an apron and a pressure washer. I told him to wash it, then we will look at it and wash it again...

He gave it the initial wash and was surprised how many spots he missed. So, the second washing Robert took over after I gave Mike a soapy rag to wash the wheels. I can here Robert saying...you missed a spot under here.

At the end of the day the bike is probably cleaner than the day he bought it.

The head is back from the machine shop, waiting on the cylinders then it is time to put the puzzle back together.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

TexasDave

This is the funniest post I've read in some time. Glad to see Mike's bike is getting the expert attention it deserves. I think Mike like me, is more concerned with maintenance and riding than how clean his bike is. If he wasn't he would be riding a Harley.
Don't worry about dumping all the parts in a pile Mike--I think Randy knows where they go and in  what order.   :biggrin:

Ride safer than me
Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.