News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

!984 Project - it begins

Started by FJ Bob, September 13, 2016, 08:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ Bob

Hi Everyone

I introduced myself about a month ago and now the work begins.

I'll post some more pictures shortly but here is where I'm at.

I've removed the ridiculous decals as suggested by many on here.

The plastics are being removed to be prepped for new paint. The tank will be next.

I found a good gas cap so I'll need to move the guts from it to mine so it will match my key.

I'm trying to diagnose why my brake light is not working.  That is still a work in process as I haven't got to the bottom of that issue.

Bob

FJ Bob

Well as I said the plastics are coming off and next will be the tank.

Here are the latest pictures of the bike.  I want to solve my brake light issue before removing the tail plastic and the tank.

Bob

Troyskie

G'day Bob,

Good start mate.

From the images the bike looks good & straight.

I've recently completed an 11 & 12 project. As Mark said in the intro, be careful of moditis.

From my experience start with basics and get the bike on the road. Get to know it before shelling out for big ticket items.

All of the crew your way have forgotten more about the FJ than I'll ever know, so you are in good hands.

Enjoy the FJ, it will give you many years of fun.

Troyskie
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

Urban_Legend

Hi Bob

The brake light issue could be as simple as the switch not working. I have an issue on my FJ11 where the switch worked on the front brake, but not the switch attached to the back brake. These still seem to be readily available from most Yamaha bike dealers, or at the very least i think Randy at RPM has them.

Keep up the good work. :good2:

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Troyskie

Mark has a good point.

On re-assembly of the 12 the rear brake switch wasn't working.

I pulled apart, contact cleaned it, re-assembled and it works.
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

FJ Bob

Guys

Thanks for the input and you were right, but I didn't read your responses until this morning.

I did manage to solve the problem last night with the brake lights.  Neither the front nor rear brake would activate the light so I though it was an electrical issue.  However once I started investigating I found that both switches needed to be cleaned and adjusted.  Now they work great.

More updates as I move the project forward.

Bob

Alexis Wenzel

Awesome Bob, keep us posted! I'll be reading your progress here since I also want to start my winter project on my 85.

Good to know that the breaking light issue was easy to handle. I also have this problem but only with the front brake...I'll try to disassembly it, clean it and see what happens...

Have a good weekend brother!
Cheers!

XIS

FJ Bob

Hi Everyone

Starting to move the project forward.  SO I've began cleaning up the frame and getting ready to touch up the paint on it.

This weekend I'm going to change the oil and filter and then remove the tank.

I've notice something odd in my opinion,  The oil filter that is on it right now is a K&N 1004.  Not something that I've seen referenced elsewhere here.  This is a universal high flow filter that is good for Auto, 4X4 and motorcycles.  Any thoughts?  It has been running with this filter so at this time I'm going to replace it with the same. 

Issue for this weekend, the bike has 4 into 1 exhaust so no centre stand,  I have that dealt with with the stand shown,  I'm going to have to drop the exhaust get at the drain plug so I've ordered exhaust gaskets.

I'll update once i get things going.

Yes that is my daily cruiser 2 wheel ride in the background. 

Bob

Russfjr1

Hi Bob nice FJ, as for the oil filter the k&n does a good job but so do many other filters without the k&n price tag! What oil are you going to put in?    Russ
It's about as useful as a chocolate fire guard
Current bikes in the stables

Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha FJ1100
Honda Monkey-bike z50m 1967
Ducati Monster
Ducati ST2
Triumph Daytona 600 (daughters)
Honda CBR1000RR (daughters)

racerrad8

Quote from: FJ Bob on October 07, 2016, 07:58:51 PM
I've notice something odd in my opinion,  The oil filter that is on it right now is a K&N 1004.  Not something that I've seen referenced elsewhere here.  This is a universal high flow filter that is good for Auto, 4X4 and motorcycles.  Any thoughts?  It has been running with this filter so at this time I'm going to replace it with the same. 

Bob

Bob, sorry I missed this earlier.

I just looked up  the specs and that filter has the 20x1.5mm thread pitch. So, as long as the seal doesn't cover the oil holes it will work fine.

You can also use a wide variety of other filters including K&N.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

FJ Bob

Guys

Thanks for the input on the oil filter.  It seems to have worked and glad to hear that I should be good.  I'll pay close attention when I remove it to ensure that it is not obstructing any holes.

My plan is to use Yamalube 10W40 oil.  The guys at the dealer seemed to think it would be good and I don't see any need to go to synthetic with the bike.  I picked up 4 exhaust gaskets today so once I've got the oil changed, exhaust painted and it is ready to go back together for the start of next season I'll put them on.

I can't wait to get this out on the road next season as it is going to be completely different from my other ride.

More to come.

Bob

FJ Bob

Hi Everyone

Headers removed and oil changed and now gas tank is removed.  A significant amount of repair work on the tank is needed.   The previous owner created their own gas cap lock which was not to my liking.

Bob

TexasDave

Harley rider? How did we let a Harley rider on here?   :rofl:

Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

FJ Bob

Dave

Maybe that is why I'm working on the FJ 1100!

Love my Fatboy but can't wait to get this 1984 FJ 1100 on the road to have some twisty fun!

Bob

FJmonkey

Bob is on the road to recovery, what he does not know yet is the addiction we call FJ Moditus.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side