News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Yesterday happy today not happy valve adjustments =)

Started by Old Rider, September 14, 2016, 10:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: Old Rider on December 10, 2016, 06:22:53 AM
the one written by yamaha motor company
It does not tell to remove upper fairing to adjust valves.It says remove upper fairings airinntake ducts.

Yep, mine does too.

Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

ribbert

I dont know about haynes or clymer manuals ,but i use the one written by yamaha motor company 3rd printing .It says it is intended to be used by qualified yamaha mechanics.
It does not tell to remove upper fairing to adjust valves.It says remove upper fairings airinntake ducts .It dosent give any wrong info at installig the camtensioner either.
As i mentioned earlier when i checked clearenses i did a test and i got same measurements when lobes facing 180 degres away from the valves as when inntake and exhaust lobes facing away from each other as its says in manual,so its clearly possible to measure with the 180 degre away to.I however chose to use the workshop manual as its faster too.
:good2:

TDC measuring is a legacy of pushrod motors where the postion of the cam couldn't be eyeballed. There is nothing unique about Yamaha's OHC motor and standard procedure is to measure 180 deg off the lobe, like every other OHC motor ever made.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Old Rider

Nope it says remove airducts and referes to how to remove them in the remove upper cowling chapter.Nobody is that stupid that they start to take off the hole cowling i hope =). (popcorn)

ribbert

Quote from: FJ1100mjk on December 10, 2016, 07:17:31 AM
the one written by yamaha motor company
It does not tell to remove upper fairing to adjust valves.It says remove upper fairings airinntake ducts.

Yep, mine does too.

They were two examples that came to mind from the forum, I have never read the FJ manual in any detail. I have kept about 20 manuals after my recent cull, about half car, half bike. The bike manuals are all factory issued and referred to extensively at the time when the bikes were new. They all share one thing, errors aside, making simple procedures difficult.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Quote from: Old Rider on December 10, 2016, 07:37:15 AM
.....Nobody is that stupid that they start to take off the hole cowling i hope =). (popcorn)

Well, I guess the guy that wrote the Clymer manual is that stupid.

Noel

fnlyafjat51

Quote from: Old Rider on December 10, 2016, 02:08:53 AM
Quote from: fnlyafjat51 on December 08, 2016, 07:50:45 PM
I have to agree with what has already been said. With any engine, you should set the valves from the base circle to get the most accurate adjustment. TDC is not always the best way. They could be as much as .020-.030" off the base circle at TDC, but not actually on the lobe yet. Best to play it safe.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Sure its never a good  idea to follow the Yamaha enginers advice in the fabric service manual  :yes:

If it's truly on the base circle of the cam, then that's fine. If it's not, then lash will be off. We deal with engineers on a daily basis at work building industrial electric motors up to 3000hp, and they get crap wrong constantly. They're not gods, and stuff can get misprinted.
Maybe this will help shed some light on it for those still scratching their heads about this this.
I know it's not a bike or a OHC engine, but the reasoning still stands. Sure it takes a little longer at first, but once you have done it a couple of times, it's not that bad. It still stands any way you want to do it, get the cam on the base circle. Pause it at 2:44 and read.
http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/threads/comp-cams-quick-tech-video-how-to-set-valve-lash.4986/
Brien