News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

2016 ECFR ride report

Started by Bill_Rockoff, September 22, 2016, 08:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill_Rockoff

National Lampoon magazine once had a photo / cartoon entry titled "Diary Of A Beautiful Nymphomaniac." The first five panels were blank pages with dates at the top. The sixth panel had a hasty scrawl, "Gee, I guess when you're beautiful and a nymphomaniac, you just don't have time to keep a diary!"

We stayed pretty busy riding.

I rode up the prior Sunday on the 998, which was loaded up with stuff - a tank bag with a few days of clothes, a big duffel bag full of linens(*) on the rear cowl, and my rain suit in the smaller section of my tank bag on top of that. The rain suit part fits on top of the other part of the tank bag, and this is a perfect solution on the FJ1200. On the 998, though, it sticks up too high that way and I can't see the gauges or move around on the bike. It was September 11 and there was what appeared to be a Harley parade up 129 toward Blood Mountain, so I took 60 north past Suches and had the road to myself, which made it easier to think about things including September 11. Route 60 north of Suches is my favorite section of road, ever, and my ride up was heaven with a double-yellow line.

Too much to list / not enough time to make a post that'd do it justice just yet, but cliff's notes are:
- I bunked in the big cabin (3 bedrooms, a living room, a dining room, a kitchen, 2 baths) with Ducati(less) Dave and Sarah
- I went back home Tuesday (3 hours) to do paperwork for a new job I was starting the following Monday
- I trailered the 998 and FJ1200 back up Friday; Andrew's 916 wasn't quite all the way back together. He rode the 998 and I rode the FJ.
- it was great to see everyone who was there
- weather was great
- I sorely missed the folks who didn't make it, and I know we all miss Eric McClellan
- Randy's health seemed to get better during the week, and he rode with me & Andrew on Saturday
- the Deep Creek owners and staff are definitely *not* Wayne & Kelly
Reg Pridmore yelled at me once

carey

QuoteNo reports...did anyone make it...?

Randy - RPM

Randy,

There used to be a place to post photos taken during a rally  :biggrin:

In all seriousness, I had a great time.  Seeing the faces of old friends, and missing the one's who couldn't make it.  We found several roads that I have never ridden before, and rode a lot of the old favorites.

I agree with Bill R's comment, the owners of Deep Creek aren't what were used to, but the campground wasn't motorcycle only.  I had many enjoyable conversations with non FJ people in the campground.

The following are some highlights of the week;

Jeff Hoffman:  "Hey Dave Raforth, how'd you like to fly 1800 miles and go riding in NC with one of my bikes?"
Dave Raforth: "Sure buddy, sign me up. (after flying in) Where are we riding tomorrow?"
Jeff Hoffman:  "Sorry Dave, I'm not riding tomorrow, but I'm going canoeing.  You can ride with the slow group (carey and others)"  :rofl:

The gas pipeline break in Alabama impacted gasoline availability in NC and North GA.  This occurred later in the week.  We never ran out, but we never passed up a gas station that had fuel.

There are assholes wherever you go.  I watched somebody hit a dog in Brevard and the driver never stopped.  The dog was a medium sized black lab mix.  You would know it if you hit it.  The accident occurred a few hundred yards in front of me.  As the dog was being hit, several of our group were turning left, at a traffic light, into a gas station (see above).  I missed the left turn, but slowed down as I rode by the non moving carcass, thinking "poor dog". I U turned to catch the group.  As I was waiting in line at the gas station, I kept looking over at the dog.  After a good 5 minutes, the dead dog was born again and decided he wanted to cross the road again.  Fortunately for the dog, Dean and Suzanne pulled over and kept the dog from further harm.  The first car to stop was driven by two veteranarians.

Using Bryson City as a hub requires some recalibration of our tradition loops and the new loops ridden.  When we rode the "Rattler", we took 19 North to 209.  On paper, 19 through Cherokee wasn't very far, but it seemed to take forever.  On my trip home, we drove 77 North (a 4 lane) for about 30 minutes only to discover, an exit for 209, just at the beginning of the good section of 209.  Riding 129 South thru Murphy/Andrews is less than 2 hour to Suches.  If we were to include a little slabbing, we could reach some good roads quicker.

Overall, I had a great time and look forward to the Spring rally.

Motofun

Weather was great, only had "R" on one day with just little sprinkle on one other.  It was nice to get to some new roads yet still be able to do some of the traditional rides...my personal favorite is the Wyah....40 miles almost all in the shade.  Was able to ride for 5 days and never had to go to the dragon.  :yahoo: though I did miss taking 28 from the crossroads south  :dash1:.
As far as the campground goes it's kind of a mixed blessing.  The common area needed for group get-togethers was poor and no fire ring (aka Boone) was missing.  I probably logged a couple of miles walking to the RV for more beers....that could be good or bad, depending.  As Nancy and I RV it, the closeness to restaurants is not that important to us but we're the exception on this issue.
If were to rank our east coast rally sites I'd go:
1.  Boone
2.  Tellico KOA (blown away in a tornado)
3.  Cherahola campground (Wayne and Kelly)
4.  Bryson City
5.  That other place on 68 just south of Tellico Plains (was a 1 year deal about 3 years ago)
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

rlucas

Quote from: Motofun on September 24, 2016, 06:07:04 AM

...and no fire ring (aka Boone)...

Well, Boone didn't really have a "fire ring", either. At first.  :diablo:

We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)

ddlewis

I liked the place in BC.  The town was cool and I liked the cabin.  we were spread out but if we'd taken more time to pick sites/cabins closer together that wouldn't have been an issue.  And it was a little less convenient to the normal routes but the two hours shorter commute is gold.

as far as pictures.. only took a couple.  I don't think anybody takes many anymore.  Probably got half a hard drive full of bald river falls, deals gap etc now :)

It was a good time just like always.  Friday morning after bacon and eggs on the front porch -Dean, Henry and I set out for Deals Gap via 28/fontana dam route.  when we got there the gap was shut down, 3 accidents all being worked at once.  So we headed for Cherohala, and just as we got into it.. my fuel pump died (650versys).   Dean and Suzanne went back to BC, and Dean came and got me with his trailer.  Henry waited 3 hours with me.

I was just going to go home Saturday but Jack offered to let me ride his 85 FJ.  So I did.. ~250 miles and it was fun and it was cool having 1200cc of kookaloo under my butt.  It put a hurt on me though, back, neck, wrists.  I was popping ibuprofen within a couple hours.  :flag_of_truce:  Finger tips of my throttle hand are STILL numb a week later.  i am not kidding!

waiting on trailer

cabin/porch

FJ_Hooligan

I had a great time.  It was good to see everyone again, it's been too long.

The "slow" group (which I grew up in) was not all that slow.  :-)

I still laugh when I picture the looks on the faces of that group that Jeff cut through the middle of.  And in typical Jeff fashion, I was left to clean up his mess (or at least ride through it).  I believe they were too shocked to really react by the time I got to/through them.

The ride back to Atlanta was a bit damp.  I left BC early as the forecast predicted high probability of rain.  Made it to the end of War Woman Road and it started sprinkling.  A few miles later it opened up and rained cats and dogs.  It would occasionally let up some, but the last 40 miles into Atlanta I could barely see out of my shield.  Fortunately the Areostich suit kept me nice and dry, except water managed to run down my sleeves and into the waterproof glove covers thus soaking my gloves.  The new Dainese boots I bought a few days before the trip worked fantastic.  Feet never even got a drop of water.

The worst part was throwing all that wet gear into a duffle bag and heading for the airport, but at least it was clean.  The best part was knowing that Jeff's FZ was
far dirtier when I left than when I picked it up.  :-)  Oh, and the topcase on his FZ will just barely hold a large Papa John's pizza.

I think I had slightly over 1200 miles for the week.  Absolutely great riding!
DavidR.

rktmanfj

Quote from: rlucas on September 25, 2016, 05:14:24 AM
Quote from: Motofun on September 24, 2016, 06:07:04 AM

...and no fire ring (aka Boone)...

Well, Boone didn't really have a "fire ring", either. At first.  :diablo:

Make no mistake, the Deep Creek folks were not the accommodating rally hosts we've come to expect (and perhaps somewhat abuse).

We've been spoiled, no doubt about it...
Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

rlucas

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on September 27, 2016, 03:17:05 PM

I still laugh when I picture the looks on the faces of that group that Jeff cut through the middle of.  And in typical Jeff fashion, I was left to clean up his mess (or at least ride through it).  I believe they were too shocked to really react by the time I got to/through them.
T

DETAILS! We need DETAILS!!!

We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)

FJ_Hooligan

Jeff and I are headed out for the Dragon and Cherohala on Friday.  We're on the highway out of BC doing about 70 and coming up on a group of 8 riders in the right lane.  Looked like a combination of sportbikes and a couple of cruisers.

Just before Jeff gets to them, 2 cruiser riders pull into the left lane and it looks like they're talking to the guys still in the right lane.  I knew what he was going to do probably even before he did.  Jeff straddles the lanes and motors right between the guys talking.  I'm certain they never saw him coming.  I think I even saw them flinch.  You could see their heads follow him then they looked back at each other with wide eyes and I could see they were thinking WTF??????!!!!!!!!!

Then slowly, 7 helmets (everyone but the leader) turn back and see me.  The 2 riders in the left lane slowly pull back into the right lane as I arrive.  I pull even with them and give a slight nod of the head and a small wave.  As I approach the leader, there is a car on the right shoulder.  The leader pulls into the left lane and I slow down so I don't pass him in the same lane (unlike some others).  All this time, the second rider has not stopped staring at me.  I pull even to him, stare back from behind my heavily tinted shield for a few seconds then shrug my shoulders.  The leader has puled back to the right lane so I accelerate around him and wave.

I swear they all looked shell shocked.  It made me laugh.  They turned off to go to Franklin and we continued to the Dragon.  Go to Killboy and search on Friday 16 Sept after about 12 noon.    He's on his streetfighter R1 and I'm the blue FZ behind him with a rear topcase.  You'll see Jeff acting like, well, Jeff.  With him in front of me I was lucky to get 1 picture.  :-)
DavidR.