News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

The Alien Project

Started by Urban_Legend, October 02, 2016, 02:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urban_Legend

Hello FJers
A few of you may already know, but I have picked myself up an 88 FJ1200. On first inspection it seems in a really sad state. It is missing it's exhaust and headers, and it has lived in a salty environment. I bought the bike off a guy in Sydney for $750 and I came with a heap of spares, including a second 1200 motor. I had to wait nearly 2 months to get it delivered by a bike transport company, and it finally arrived last Friday.  :yahoo:

On a closer inspection is seems that the bike is an import from Canada with the compliance plate showing it landed in Oz in 2002. I am hoping this is NSW compliance unlike Troyskis bike.  :blush:
I swapped my battery out of the 84 into it to see with it would turn over (god knows how long since it started). I turn the key and get all the right lights showing press the button and nothing. Thinking that could be dodgy wiring, I decided to jump it from the starter solenoid. We have success. It turns over. No grinds, thunks or bangs. There is no fuel connected so I knew it wouldn't start, but it does turn over.  :lol:

The Plan:
Well this will have to be a build on a really tight (read non existent) budget. Aiming for pretty much factory except for suspension mods, pods and spin on oil filter. The things that need doing regardless are the fairing is missing the bit that runs under the left air pod and it has no exhaust. Some of the plastics are mismatched, but it does come with 2 full sets of front fender (front and rear halves) with all tab in tact, 2 sets of air scoops/pod (one set is for the 88 the other is earlier 86/87) a spare duck tail and second full wiring harness, plus a big box full of pits and pieces.

Will let you all know how it progresses.

Mark

Edit. I decided to call the bike ALIEN, due to the face that it is an import, hence illegal alien.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Alexis Wenzel

Awesome brother! This should ne a nice project! =D
Cheers!

XIS

Urban_Legend

I got to spend a little time on the project this afternoon.
I have plugged up all if the holes in the second motor.  Put socket on the drill and gave the motor a wind over from the crank end bolt. It all seems to wind over fine and freely, with no noises or thumps.
It has had a wash and clean too, so I can see what I am dealing with. No cracks in the case, but the oil was a nice and thick black that came out of the cooler holes. She might need some loving but could be a worthy contender to replace the 1100 motor.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.